Caravan Towing...

maximusdecimus

Basically guys I have never towed a caravan before and have only towed trailers using transit vans. I am looking at buying myself a nice sized 6 berth touring caravan but i seriously doubt by Peugeot 406 2.0 hdi 90bhp with 260k miles today ( happy birthday Paris the Peugeot ) is up to the task. So i need to know what type of vehicle is up to the task.

Now for the awkward part, i'm not a fan of oversized cars if not completely necessary. So the things i am looking for are.

1. Comfort

2. Diesel

3. Enough space for wife and 2 kids

4. Same sort of size as my 406 if at all possible.

5. Good mpg

6. Under £3k

Am i asking miracles?

Basically guys I have never towed a caravan before and have only towed trailers using transit vans. I am looking at buying myself a nice sized 6 berth touring caravan but i seriously doubt by Peugeot 406 2.0 hdi 90bhp with 260k miles today ( happy birthday Paris the Peugeot ) is up to the task. So i need to know what type of vehicle is up to the task.

Now for the awkward part, i'm not a fan of oversized cars if not completely necessary. So the things i am looking for are.

1. Comfort

2. Diesel

3. Enough space for wife and 2 kids

4. Same sort of size as my 406 if at all possible.

5. Good mpg

6. Under £3k

Am i asking miracles?

Hi have a look on the Caravan Club website they have all the info you need, well worth joining either them or Camping and Caravan club GB.

You dont put your age on your profile but that plays a part these days regarding what you can tow.

I have been caravanning for years now and we have really enjoyed our holidays and long weekends away for comparatively little money, once you have bought all the bits and bobs.

Then theres the added joy of holding up all the traffic on a Friday afternoon :good::)

We also had a Camper, Swift Kontiki, until we got the caravan, we got rid of it because we were fed up with having to spend most of the visit to towns looking for suitable parking to take a long vehicle and so many carparks had height restrictions, they are not as free and easy as you think, nowadays we park the caravan on site put up the awning and off down the local. If you want to do that with a Camper you have to pack everything away before you can leave, unless you fancy getting on your bike!

Rgds D2D.

Edited by dusk2dawn

Hi have a look on the Caravan Club website they have all the info you need, well worth joining either them or Camping and Caravan club GB.

You dont put your age on your profile but that plays a part these days regarding what you can tow.

I have been caravanning for years now and we have really enjoyed our holidays and long weekends away for comparatively little money, once you have bought all the bits and bobs.

Then theres the added joy of holding up all the traffic on a Friday afternoon :):birthday:

Rgds D2D.

I think you get a discount on some sights if your a member of the caravan club :good:

Then you have tax, insurance and mot to fork out for as well as your family or work car.

I think you get a discount on some sights if your a member of the caravan club :good:

The caravan club have a large network of member owned sites throughout the uk and many more are affiliated abroad, they charge an average £15 for 2 adults, van, car and awning and that includes unlimited electricity, most sites have a 5 star shower block.

Anyone who is serious about Caravanning should look into the benefits, especially if going abroad.

Rgds D2D

Cheers all for the info,

Have just spent a little while looking through the caravan club documentation and am a little more knowledgeable :S

It looks like its just a case of marrying up the towing weight of the car with the M.I.R.O of the caravan.

May look at getting one of the higher powered 2.0TDI VW Passat/Bora 150bhp models or an Audi A4/6 2.5TDI.

Once i've chosen my caravan i will look into joining the caravan club. I was thinking 6 berth as there is me my wife and 2 kids and would like friends/family to come along also sometimes.

It looks like its just a case of marrying up the towing weight of the car with the M.I.R.O of the caravan.

That's the important part - it'll keep you legal and insured. I've heard that some police forces are hot on stopping caravaners if it looks like their car is a little light for the van they are towing.

May look at getting one of the higher powered 2.0TDI VW Passat/Bora 150bhp models or an Audi A4/6 2.5TDI.

2.5tdi Audi A6 a great car alround and towing.

I used to find the caravan club sites a bit stuck up and very regimental, everybody has to park the same way or you will get the rath of other members or the site wardens.

I had a van a while back. Towed it with the Golf GT TDI 150 model. Absolutely great car for towing. It was close to 1-1 on the weight ratio, no issue if you are sensible, that diesel unit was superb.

Later towed with my 4x4, and whilst it was a dodle for the truck, it lacked any sort of acceleration to talk about, which is useful in some driving situations.

if your pugs engine is still sweet stick with it.pugeots diesels are one of the best around,mates dads got a 2ltr 406 estate and pulls his van all over the country with no problem.i,ve got 2.1 pug diesel and have pulled caravans and heavy trailers and you don,t notice there there.so long as you change the oil and fillter regulery the engine is pretty much bullit proof.

That's the important part - it'll keep you legal and insured. I've heard that some police forces are hot on stopping caravaners if it looks like their car is a little light for the van they are towing.

The police are quite hot on it down here. Every bank holiday weekend through the summer months they pull over every caravan on the M27 heading West for the new forest or Devon areas. Rownhams services gets gridlocked with them.

I heard that the majority of ''offences'' were people without a trailer licence (B+E) :good: