YEEEHAAAAA

mikee

cheers guys, it was a fantastically interesting course and i would highly recommend it to anyone interested in stalking, there were 16 of us from all over the country and one guy who had flown in from his home in miami, we even set a bit of a record with the youngest person ever to pass a DMQ qualification, a young lad of 14 years old, the assessors were great Barry Merkin and Dave Goffin, what these two blokes didnt know about deer and deer management is hardly worth knowing, sadly two guys didnt pass, they passed all the written tests but both struggled to shoot kneeling off sticks, both could shoot very well prone and standing off sticks but had problems kneeling, its a real shame as they were both such nice blokes, cant wait now to get out and have a go now im a qualified deer manager :good::lol:

mikee

Good on you Mikee :yes:

Got to feel for the two that failed on the shooting test - but if they can't shoot straight that is the right thing.

It's a bit like turning up for a driving test without practicing three point turns / backing around a corner.

I was on a fox course and a young lad failed the shooting - a little more testing that DSC 1 too - I reckon he could shoot but just got really nervous.

So are you starting with Muntjac or Reds? :yes:

Cheers

Andy

Edited by AndyCM

there are two shooting tests, 1st is "zero" test 3 shots into a 4" circle at 100m, then the deer target which was a roe shaped board with a very faint line drawn around the heart/lung kill area, the line is too faint to see even through the scope at 40m, the firer needs to judge where the kill area is and put 2 shots prone at 100m 2 shots kneeling/sitting at 70m and 2 shots at 40m standing, the kneeling and standing shots can be taken of sticks, long bipods or any other support that you would take stalking, not a shooting bench on wheels etc

Andy i reckon i will be starting with a CWD

mikee

Edited by mikee

Well done Mikee. Time to get out and knock a few down now then?

I dread doing my DSC. I'm going to give it a go maybe next year. The shooting test is something I'm not sure of. We all know if we're not confident to take the shot we leave it, but in the DSC you can't do that. If I had to take a 70m standing shot under pressure I think I'd struggle, confidence in standing shots is not my strong point. In the field I'd just leave it if I didn't have a tree to lean on. :lol:

It was a long time ago now, but from memory the standing is the closest of the 3 shots?

I hate shooting standing off stcks, I almost prefer offhand, but do enough stalkers tests (definitly not after 'lunch' at PW Bisley meets) and your confidence goes up as do your scores. 4" is a big old target.

...and you can see the rings on the target fairly easily at all the distances through a decent scope :unsure:

Sorry, almost forgot, well done Mikee :lol:

cheers again guys, the 70m shots are taken of sticks, tripod, or long bipod or any such item that you would take stalking normally, off hand shots are frowned upon for humanity reasons and not placing the shot correctly, the "zero" target is 4" at 100m prone, the kill zone on the "deer" target is about 6-7" but you cant see the outline even through a scope and its not quite in the place you would shoot a deer, as an aid to make the shots easier with a reference point the center of the target area is directly above the front leg half way up the body, most people shot it easily from prone and standing of sticks, where people struggled was kneeling of sticks or long bipods, possibly due to kneeling on a hard concrete floor

mikee

Well done Mikee - great effort. I defy anyone to do the course properly and say they did not get anything out of it. It is also good fun and a chance to meet a few likeminded nutters. It has opened up my stalking for me as I can now walk out of the door when I want to and not have to ask my mentor in advance to give up his evenings or get up up too early.

For anyone who is thinking of doing it - get booked up and get your head in the manual. ALL the answers are in there and once you book up you will find the time to read it for a half an hour a day. The shooting test was a problem for a few on my course (one guy was blasting away at my target!). My two bits of advice would be

1) get LOADS of practice in. I must have fired at least a hundred rounds in practice and once you know you can do it it's amazing what a bit of confidence can do. It's good for your shooting in general.

2) remember you can use your 22CF with the right ammo. I used my .223 with 55 gr softpoints while others were blowing their lungs out with their .270's.

Get it done!

M

BASC were fine with the .223 but I did get it in writing from them first in case there was any confusion on the day. Frankly the guy didn't even check the calibres or the ammo properly. One guy did turn up with an old 303 and a side sight and FMJ. Needless to say he ended up having to borrow a rifle to pass the test.

M