A question for GMK

markm

Is this not typical of companies ( and I have worked for one) that import goods from the US. Substitute the dollar sign for the pound one, add 30%, think of the number they first thought of, double it, etc etc, you know how it goes.

Rip off the shooter everytime.

Except Berettas are made in Italy and shipped to both the US and UK. Since UK and IT are both EU, it stands that the import duties are going to be a lot lower.

I'd start to look at the middleman. I've seen cases where a grey import will be £200 cheaper on the same gun as from GMK. The US doesn't work with the same type of distributor system as here, plus the margins/markups are a lot lower as they work a bit more on volume.

Thanks,

Rick

its mostly to do with the exchange rate between the £ and the euro, as the pound has lost nearly 30% of its value. also metal prices have risen. Finally its GMK, they deliberately over price their products.

For example... sako hunter .22lr in february cost me £670, now its over £700, this is a direct price increase imposed by gmk to increase their profit.

Good point Highlander, U.S shooters also have plenty of choice when it comes to buying a weapon, so I suppose you could say price is down to market forces ie competition from other gun manufacturers, other makes in that price range etc etc.

I can see Markm`s point though, the gun mentioned has a cost to produce ok it may vary slightly due to fluctuation in material costs and then you have shipping costs, duties, tax, but it does make you wonder at how some selling prices are justified and why people pay them.

You could then argue the same fact over powder, primers in fact any shooting accessory, as Cats mentioned, too many people having a cut, but its a captive market.

Shooters in the UK do not have the variety of choice as in the US so we end up being shafted again and again, but where else can we buy from.

Everytime I buy powder or bullet heads from my RFD he says "the next lot of these will be dearer as there has been a price increase", no reason why, just price is going up, again how do we know thats true we dont, I pay it and just accept it and no point in shopping around as I then incur traveling costs :oops:

Edited by lineshooter

GMK take the **** on all their prices, profiteering muppets with **** poor service. Unfortunately due to the small size of the UK shooting industry, we're stuck with them :good:

In America, Tikka T3 is a direct competitor for the Remington 700 - not here!

Garlands do the same with Savage, and it stinks, quite frankly.

GMK £120-00 + vat for a locking block for an a300 ,From www.brignoliarmi.com In the same area as beretta in italy 21 euros /£19 + postage = £ 25-00 , GMK taking the p... , And these parts are made by beretta for local sale in Italy but a over 500% mark up within the eu with no import duty seriously takes it. l :good: :good: :good: :good: :blink:

Edited by Andy H

I have watched US vs UK prices for years and the exchange rate has little bearing. When you could purchase $2 for every £1 the prices of US goods were the same as when £1 = £1.50. Yesterday I bought a pound of Varget here in Canada it was $40 CAD including Provincial and Federal tax or £23 at the curent exchange rate. Before the pound collapsed last year it would have been under £20. The last pound of Varget I bought in the UK was £28 and a mate bought some recently at £36. The powder is as far as I know manufactured in Australia so duty is likely to be the same in Canada as the UK. The bottom line is that Britain is seen as Treasure Island by the greedy middlemen because there is no option but to buy from a limited number of suppliers who gouge the public as much as they think the market will stand.

Good old GMK, just to let you all know, the browning semi's are more expensive than beretta over here, so basically we are being done big time - the same gun in the uk is £700 more, that's 2.5 x less than what we pay. The shop I was in had another good looking semi in cammo or synthetic for $250. that's about £150.

Ruger 10/22 - £80

Remington 700 with a scope (bushnell), mounts, sling and sleeve - £220.