Gun Cabinet Trouble

Ashbiker

I was just sharing my experience.

Guess, would get a wood base to prop the cabinet above the skirting and fix the bolts again as the FEO has advised!

Only wonder, if this was not a legal requirement, then how come the local FEO are implementing it so tightly! The area I live is very low in crime by the way...

Really...!!!

Yes it is a Beretta 12g o/u...

The choice I have been given is either I sort it in 3-4 weeks (ie., fix it again with no gap between wall and cabinet) or store the shotgun with a 'friend' or a dealer, lest the gun may be confiscated!

From the police 'Firearms Security Handbook'

2.17 A gun cabinet, or (where only one rifle or shotgun is held and a low level of risk is involved) a gun clamp or similar device fixed to the building is normally considered to be reasonable security

http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/publicatio...pdf?view=Binary

I agree to a point with doing what they ask, but if they are going further than the law and the guidance document on it suggests then I would be prepared to stand my corner. Otherwise we end up burdened with more hoops to jump through and bureaucracy.

How long before you need a Shotgun Safety Certificate or a burgler alarm to have your SGC............

It's vital we resist the drip feed effect. Are you in the BASC? There legal dept is very helpful. Sadly the way you fitted the cabinet was just wrong :oops:

As a landlord myself I can tell you you won't lose your deposit if you make good before you leave.

If its a wooden cabinet with the safe inside it will probably look silly lifted off the floor!

This is what I would do, I'm going to presume you have limited tools, if you do the job will be slightly easier.

1 Whilst the cabinet is bolted to the wall draw two lines on the skirting where you need to cut it out.

2 Move the cabinet out of the way and using something like a 6mm drill bit drill as many holes along the lines as you can until you feel the drill bit has gone through the wood skirting completely and come out the other side.

3 Using a small sharp chisel punch away the remainder of the wood cutting the skirting both sides. Whilst doing this try to neaten up the line.

4 Once both sides are free, use a chisel again and tap it down the top of the skirting and gently prise it away removing the skirting. If you encounter a screw along the way deal with it appropriately.

5 You can now push your cabinet against the wall.

To get your deposit back

Keep the bit of skirting removed, when you move out fix the skirting back on, put some filler on the rough joints, rub down and paint. Also fill the bolt holes in the wall, if you have to paint the whole wall, then a £20 pot of paint isn't too much ti give.

The above job can be done in about 1/2 hour.......

Yes I am with BASC and am also member of a few other associations.

The FLO had adviced me either to remove the skirting or prop the cabinet up, but as the house is rented, could not do the former and the prop I got could not stand the weight (the cabinet is very heavy indeed) so I thought I'll go ahead and bolt it anyway...

Edited by Ashbiker

*** 3 pages to end up ignoring the lot, simply put either buy some pieces of 4x2 and cut to the width of the cabimet to prop it up your cabinet will not be too heavy for this believe me, or do as cosd said and remove that section of skirting and job done. If the cabinet is propped out from the wall its easy to slip a hack saw blade in and cut the bolts wouldn't take long at all

why not place wood pacckers the same thickness as the skirting board verticaly behind the cabinet you dont even need to fix these as when you tighten the fixings the tension will hold the packers in place ther will be no gap to allow a jemmy in and you will have ticked a box for your fao

I was asking about the legal requirement-ie., If one has a very heavy gun cabinet, does it have to be flush to the wall?

Do remember that because the cabinet is heavy-in theory the weight could be used to lever it off the wall with greater ease.

I just used a tennon saw and cut a small section of skirting away (i still have the piece) then bolted cabinet to wall until it was flush.

Edited by Imperfection

i had a small gap due to the walls being out, even after i removed the section of skirting board. as i was installing the cab, i used a whole tube of that no nails snot on the base back. Then went around the edges with another tube, and filled the gap. God knows what im going to do if i need to move it.

The FEO had adviced me either to remove the skirting or prop the cabinet up, but as the house is rented, could not do the former and the prop I got could not stand the weight (the cabinet is very heavy indeed) so I thought I'll go ahead and bolt it anyway...

So let me get this right, the FEO told you to remove the skirting or fix the cabinet above the height of the skirting and you ignored this and went ahead anyway???

Funny how the FEO wasn't too impressed with your installation :oops::hmm: