An evening with Ray Mears.

MM

Well, just got back from Rays lecture on the Canadian traders. Very, Very good indeed. Expected it to be about 1h.45 mins, but turned out to be 2h.45mins, so really got my moneys worth. Was seated on the second row, right in from of him, so heard everything without it going through the speakers. ??? ???

Some very interesting stuff from the new series and a glimpse into his private side as well. At the end he did a Q&A session, with all the usual, "whats the worst food" and "how cold have you been". These were getting a tad boring, so i asked him the age old debated question...................."So, Ray! Who would win a fight out of you and Bear Gryls?" :o It all went quiet........then lots of laughter. ??? He said that he is far too busy to fight bear, but we all know the answer :good: Made my night. He got straight off and never stayed for pics. never mind, still a great night out. :good: :good: :good:

nice one mart...

i love these type of talks.... last one i went to was a talk by the mountaineer simon yates.

if you dont know who he is, he was the rope cutter in touching the void. a VERY good talk indeed. i highly reckomend both simon yates and joe simpsons books, theyre a great read..

Was anything mentioned about him shooting in any way ! am sure in one episode about 3 years back he shot a deer but would be curious to know if he is a shooting man and if so what he`s into and what he has in the cabinet ! :good::good:

i was tempted to ask him about shooting, but somebody had already got him a bit wound up by questioning his commitment to disabled folk and their ability outdoors.

A friend of mine got us tickets to see Ray in Tunbridge Wells in January '08. Pretty good talk although my mate was a bit disappointed. He said it was like going round your neighbours to watch their holiday slides. I even queued up for an hour and half after to get him to sign my book and have a bit of chat with him. Let's just he's got one hell of grip on him. I did hear that he used to be something in Judo (?).

At the end he did a Q&A session, with all the usual, "whats the worst food"

LOL, you should have asked him what he lived on while filming the episode up in the Sound Of Mull, the one with the Red Deer leg cooked underground....he "Lived" out of the snack bar at the Lochaline Ferry terminal....and THAT leg was taken back to Janets B&B where he was staying...and presented to her, after him telling her ..."Got a pressie for you"..:good::) According to Janet, hes a very nice guy, and a very pleasant guy :welcomeani: ...

Was anything mentioned about him shooting in any way ! am sure in one episode about 3 years back he shot a deer but would be curious to know if he is a shooting man and if so what he`s into and what he has in the cabinet ! :good::welcomeani:

I have been to a shoot, I was beating, where he was a guest and he wasn`t a bad shot. I even managed to flag in a brace of partridge for him as he was on the end peg. He is very approachable and will talk openly to people.

I gave the `keeper a ####ing for not letting me know beforehand as I could have brought a book for him to sign :P