Got the 4x4 stuck.

mr lee

On one of our permissions this weekend we were coming back from a bit of shooting and fencing. We used the usual route we always do and within 10 foot of passing through the gate the car sort of fell into a ditch which had been dug the day before yet nobody had told us of this... :good: There is normally a puddle there anyway but it is a hardcore base so it's never an issue. The 'hole' was almost 3 foot deep, 2-3 foot across and square sided. The car slid sideways and grounded on the underchassis. The rear wheel on show wasn't even on the ground. There was a gap of almost 18" underneath the wheel and the freshly dug out ditch base.

It took us almost 2 hours to dig the ground out from underneath the car as we could only go from one side. Ended up leaving it in the field due to a lack of light. When we went to collect it this morning the whole area had a good foot of water all around it and the car. Cue very wet feet. The ditch was boarded over with a load of scaffold planks and we drove back out relatively easily.

post-8486-1257118084.jpg

post-8486-1257118101.jpg

Tractor rather than quad?

A 4x4 tractor would have been spot on. Unfortunately it's in for some work doing on it and still waiting for parts. It's the main reason we used the jeep for the fencing work. It's the first time we have ever been stuck in it too in almost 2 years. :good:

more speed he'd have rolled it, got stitched up in similar fashion in a fourtrak, went to go accross a tramline with water in, hid the fact the sprayer had sunk and it just dropped on the front axle. Farmer laughed anyway when the tractor towed us out, one of the occasions you know its stuck so don't even bother trying to get it out :good:

I can't explain it but did you find there's something almost satisfying in a boyish sort of way about digging the car out? B)

:good::) Yup. In a weird sort of way it was fun having to find a solution to getting it out.

more speed next time?? :lol:

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: There was a huge tree just in front of the car. Had we gone any faster and not known that ditch was as deep as it was we would have probably ripped something off the car. :/

more speed he'd have rolled it, got stitched up in similar fashion in a fourtrak, went to go accross a tramline with water in, hid the fact the sprayer had sunk and it just dropped on the front axle. Farmer laughed anyway when the tractor towed us out, one of the occasions you know its stuck so don't even bother trying to get it out :)

:good::yes: Annoying but quite entertaining at the same time.

You need a winch, would have come out lovely with that tree being so handy.

:good: :blink:

been there but no handy tree, and yes the farmer laughed

Doc

I think i'm going to buy one of those boat winches. A manual one and just put some decent recovery points on the front and rear of the car. Should be a damn site cheaper than buying a winch bumper and powered one.

When we mentioned we had got stuck to the farmer he said we should have called him instantly.

When I asked if he would have had anything to drag it out with if we had called him he replied 'Nope, but I do enjoy a good laugh'. :good:

I guess if I was a farmer I would laugh as well.. I burnt the clutch out on my Defender trying to get it out, Farmer didnt believe me the next day when I phoned him to get it out, however when he walked around and saw the gloopy mire we had bogged in he was gratefull for pointing it out to him as he had no idea there was a problem there. :good: (this was in sept when it was dry !!Thing Learnt was to make sure your mate brings his car so you can get home :good:

Doc

I guess if I was a farmer I would laugh as well.. I burnt the clutch out on my Defender trying to get it out, Farmer didnt believe me the next day when I phoned him to get it out, however when he walked around and saw the gloopy mire we had bogged in he was gratefull for pointing it out to him as he had no idea there was a problem there. :good: (this was in sept when it was dry !!Thing Learnt was to make sure your mate brings his car so you can get home :blink:

Doc

Similar in our case this time round. The venue is used for 2 offroad bike events a year and it was the organisor of these events who had been trenching and actually dug under a fence and into this field to drain a puddle. :good: Farmer wasn't aware he had done it and wasn't happy about him doing it but pleased we had found it and not his tractor.

We were okay with regards transport as the jeep stays up on the farm all year round. So if it does ever get stuck we only have to walk back across a few fields and streams to get back to a drive home.

I think i'm going to buy one of those boat winches. A manual one and just put some decent recovery points on the front and rear of the car. Should be a damn site cheaper than buying a winch bumper and powered one.

Get a Tirfor or something similar. A boat winch would never pull a truck out of a situation like that. I think you can get a decent rope hoist for a couple of hundred quid and they're proper heavy duty tools.

No wonder you got stuck...that's a mear toy of a 4x4! :good:
This is true. Had I had a land rover it wouldn't have got stuck....

Probably because they are always broken down on owners driveways. :blink: :good:

i have a vitara and ive got these tyres on it maybe if you had them then next time they mite help a little i never get stuck anywhere and as for a landy BWHAHAHAHA they are overated and very basic and always break vitara is the way forward and are light as a feather im actually surprised you got stuck. tyres on my vitara Kumho KL71 mud terrain http://www.hobby2party.com/f/picture.php?a...;pictureid=1377

well i go to work in the car as well as use it off road and they never miss a beat and the road noise is very quiet the quietest mud terrain tyres ive ever had. if you go online you can read reviews about them thats what i did before i bought them and im glad that i did.