Back stops

kyska

Hi everyone,

I've just been granted my FAC and am looking at buying a 17hmr very soon. Obviously I need to zero the rifle, which I'm allowed to do on the land. I have a secluded, pretty much wind free area down the side of some disused cow barns, the land is pretty flat behind it though. Do you think a large bale, the big square ton ones would be a sensible backstop?

If not, I'll have to go to one of the more undulating fields and wait for a wind free day, which could be decades.

Kyska

Thanks guys, mixed response, I'll use the bale and find something to wedge it against with the matbro, as I've said its my first fac and I'm shocked it'll go through 3 foot of condensed hay! My god the rabbits won't like it much.

It makes sense to have some ply or something to disrupt the round, and the bale 'should' absorb?

Thanks chaps.

If I am ever stuck for a decent back stop I use the folding army shovel I keep in the car and dig a small hole, using the spoil banked up behind the hole for a back stop.

I place the actual target in the hole when ever I can.

I have used hay bales many times, and never had a shot go through yet, but if you are worried just stick another bale behind it.

Cooter :good:

Guest rimotu66

1 ton bale from its end is a good back stop for small bore rifles, just put a sheet of 1/2" ply in front to pin your target to, this will take a lot of the energy out of the round, the bale will see to the rest.. :blink:

Guest rimotu66
Minor point but check with whoever is going to feed the bale once you are finished with it as they may not be too happy about giving stock feed with a high metal content.

Mike...

Not minor point,, major point. Good thinking Mike. :blink:

i don't think it would. But i would still rather not risk shooting without a solid backstop.

I'm getting worried, really would a HMR round go through 10 feet of compressed wet hay?? What have I bought?

I'm talking about the huge cubes of hay, needed a matbro/JCB loader to lift, a ton wet I would think, maybe more, end on with a 4 square foot target, with 10 feet of backstop.

I'm not being pedantic, but what more would I need?...... :angry:

You would need nothing more.

A HMR stands about as much chance of going through that as my 6.5 does of going through the earth and hitting a Kangaroo in Australia !!.

I rather think some HMR users get a little carried away with the power of this little round or have never seen a big hay bale.

Edited by CharlieT

not that we think it would not suffice,but better safe than sorry,and besides,what harm would it be to stick ya target to a piece of ply first???

I've took that on board (excuse the pun), I've just got confused over the type of backstop I need, I won't have a bale of hay behind every rabbit I shoot. Don't get me wrong, I'm just worried, I even said in another topic of mine I'm actually a bit scared of the rifle now!

Ply and a ton of hay it is..... :angry:

Thanks for all the input guys.

thats even better than straw then as a backstop, I do wonder about people who think a HMR will go through a metre of very tightly packed straw or hay. If they did they'd be using them in Afghanistan.

Not a bad idea Al4x,

After the ammo is light so soldiers could carry loads of it, and everyone knows it is perfectly flat for 4000 yards and could still kill a bison at twice that range.

And

We would be able to buy NATO issue ammo cheaply :rolleyes:

Plus's all the way

i don't think it would. But i would still rather not risk shooting without a solid backstop.

I'd suggest its actually better than a solid backstop as you would never get a ricochet from a stone and will absorb the energy far better. They'll also stop a lot of centrefire rounds as well but thats a different discussion. Obviously you wouldn't put it on the brow of a hill etc but on flat ground and shooting down into it they are very effective.

Oh and MC great idea actually i reckon if they did use them and were allowed the ballistic tipped bullets they would certainly upset the enemy

Edited by al4x