First pheasant shoot!

Nicky T

Having been clay shooting for the past two years, i've recently been chomping at the bit to try a bit of game shooting so jumped at the chance to do a Pheasant shoot last week at the Lord Stanley Estate in Angelsey.

There were 9 guns in total present on the 100 bird day; with 7 of us having never shot "game" at all in the past so to say that there were a few nerves would be an understatement!

Thankfully everyone conducted themselves superbly and adhered to the advice that we had been given beforehand and an excellent day was had by all :hmm:

The day consisted of 5 drives in total: 2 duck drives and one pheasant drive in the morning, a brief break for soup and sandwiches back at the farm house, followed by another pheasant drive and then finishing with a woodcock drive before returning home for an evening meal at the farmhouse :good:

Total bag was 130; comprising of approximately 40 duck, 80 pheasant, 3 woodcock and 1 partridge.

Any clay shooters who think that game shooting is easy in comparison had better think again - this was alot tougher than clays any day!

A few pictures from the day (sorry if they are a bit naff - was far more enjoyable shooting rather than taking pictures so i gave the camera out to others):

Trial run just to make sure that i looked the part:

CIMG4472.jpg

On our way to the first Duck Drive:

CIMG4474.jpg

The view from my peg on the second duck drive:

CIMG4477.jpg

Barry on the peg next to me:

CIMG4476.jpg

Getting ready for a pheasant drive:

CIMG4479.jpg

The final drive: woodcocks!:

CIMG4480.jpg

Part of the bag:

CIMG4482.jpg

which do you prefer the clays or the game.

Although similar in many ways the difference make it impossible to make a fair comparison IMO :good:

Game has the added adrenaline buzz over clays but clays provide a fairer means of comparing abilities so both have their attraction for me :good:

Well done.. Looks like a good day

What was your tally that went towards the bag ?

In total i had 7 confirmed kills throughout the day for a total of 53 shots fired. Definitely a steep learning curve and ruddy hell were they faster than i was expecting or what :good:

Best drive for me was 3 ducks from 8 shots.

Having been clay shooting for the past two years, i've recently been chomping at the bit to try a bit of game shooting so jumped at the chance to do a Pheasant shoot last week at the Lord Stanley Estate in Angelsey.

There were 9 guns in total present on the 100 bird day; with 7 of us having never shot "game" at all in the past so to say that there were a few nerves would be an understatement!

Just out of intrest, what was the final shot tally for the day?