gas guns....

skid512

Could someone tell me what's the point of a farmer letting people come on his land to shoot pigeons when he's got a gas gun going off all day, everyday on a field of rape??

There are pigeons around, lots of them too, which i guess is why he has the gun going, but they are not coming on his rape hence no pigeons to shoot... :good:

Could someone tell me what's the point of a farmer letting people come on his land to shoot pigeons when he's got a gas gun going off all day, everyday on a field of rape??

There are pigeons around, lots of them too, which i guess is why he has the gun going, but they are not coming on his rape hence no pigeons to shoot... :good:

because the gas gun works 7 days a week during daylight!

just turn it off and they will come in (or so i have found) - they also work well if there are rabbits close by - they get used to the bangs and it makes shooting them with the shotgun much easier (they dont go to ground when it goes off)

As already said the gas gun is going 7 days a week to try and keep the pigeons off the rape and most farmers will let you turn them off while you are shooting.

But sometimes it is handy to leave them going to help keep birds on the move eventhough it is garenteed to go off when you are trying to shoot a bird :good:

The trouble we have with putting gas guns on our land is the birds get used to them quite fast, We move our gun every day and adjust how many shots it fires so the birds dont get used to it as fast + we use rockets and rook scarers.

I agree with the other posts.

If people came everyday shooting, I'd probably not need them.

But after a bit the birds will fly up into a tree when they go off, then wait about 10mins and go straight back on the crop.

At this stage a shotgun is the only thing that'll get rid of them.

Chris

I have mixed feelings on this subject I can see why they they are used as for the 24 7 nature of the guns .

Which no shooter can offer but Imo a regular gun once a week on a field without gas guns bangers etc.

Will get a higher kill and reduces number at the end of the day as archie would say gas guns dont kill pigeons we do.

All that happens is the problem moves,a little secrect for the farmer boys if you want to get pigeons of your farm trace them back to roost and ever night for a week go there just before last light and let of a few shots .

The birds will be push out of your area very quickly as no quite roost no pigeons.

Regards OTH

Edited by Over the hill

Shooting the wood late night does not get rid of the birds full stop, all they do is move to another wood and just fly across the farmers land to get to thew field. Once pigeons find a field they will normally stick to it and pigeons do have their favourite fields.

Like on Mersea island wedont really have any great roosting woods and you ask alot of people and they will tell you that alot of birds head off the island across the sea towards peldon or even Brightlingsea.

It may work on some farms but not on others.

Remember the farmer's interested in protecting his crop, not give you or me good shooting, unless selling shooting rights is his business of course.

I'm sure if you ask the farmer he won't mind you switching the gas gun off in the field you are shooting, just don't forget to switch it back on when you're done for the day. This time of year, having gas guns in other fields around you can help keep the birds moving.

Edited by Cosd

• 2 weeks later...
a little secrect for the farmer boys if you want to get pigeons of your farm trace them back to roost and ever night for a week go there just before last light and let of a few shots .

The birds will be push out of your area very quickly as no quite roost no pigeons.

Regards OTH

Yeah, that's a great idea, I'm sure my local keeper will be more than happy to let me into those roosting woods of his tomorrow night to crack off a few boxes..!! :good::good:

Seriously though, gas guns are a great help in keeping the birds on the move. The only time I've found that they'll ignore them is when they are very, very hungry.

A word of advice, if a gas gun is popping away on a field, don't think you can simply turn it off and they'll come flooding in, 'cos they won't. Set up elsewhere, you'll have much better sport. :lol:

Cat.

Yeah, that's a great idea, I'm sure my local keeper will be more than happy to let me into those roosting woods of his tomorrow night to crack off a few boxes..!! :yes::P

Thats why I put the the farmer boys bit in rather than you shooting boys.

As round this neck of the woods the farmer eg the bloke who owns the woods rather than a keeper who thinks he owns the woods.

Can put string bangers in pigeon roosting woods not the pheasant pens to push birds off to another farmers rape or crop.

Regards OTH