Where to find the farmer

plexer

Hi guys,

See lots of people advocating that if you're out and about and see pigeons etc... that asking for the permission to shoot them often works. This is all well and good but how d o you find out which bit of land belongs to who? find someone working in a field and ask?

Hope it's not stupid but may help me to get out and get some of my own.

I suppose OS maps may be a good help too so if anyone needs one of a particular area let me know the coords as I got an OS program at work and should be able to print or email one to you.

Cheers,

Ben

• 4 months later...
>Look for a fellow with a plastic bag on his foot, he'll be in a tractor.

>Then ask him:

>"Are you the farmer?"

Seconded. You should also tell him that you've come on holiday by mistake.

And then later on ... When driving away ... A bottle of unadulterated childs wee , will come in very handy ..

all the best yis yp :thumbs:

Just a thought - multimap do free aerial pictures which can come in handy for defining what land you are asking about/the extent of the land over which you can shoot. They show field boundaries etc unlike some OS maps. Once you have this map you can ask a local/the nearest farmyard and people are usually impressed that you have done some homework.

Much Upper Bottom from Shropshire eh ? I'd have thought she'd be visible from space if we're thinking of the same lass.

Reminds me of the rule for country police houses, where the officer in charge had to answer the phone with his surname and station. Problem was when PC Fawcett got posted to Upham in Hampshire.

My best results have been from speaking to farmers in their fields. Especially if you walk across to them carrying a map. Some of them are relieved that you aren't anyone official carrying papers, they let you on. It's an advantage if they're pestered by pigeons or rooks and it would help you if you happened to notice warrens along the field edge. Basically look out for anything that you can get talking to them about (after you have apologised for bothering them when they are busy).

Don't go dressed for shooting. Smart but casual is the order of the day, and be polite. I picked up a farm by saying thank you very much for your time to a farmer that had just said no. He called me back and let me on.

It sounds like a lot of groveling but it actually is. You're asking someone that doesn't know you from Adam to let you wander about with guns on their land. You need to make a good first impression.

The hardest part is getting your first shoot. You can often pick up neighbouring fields from other farmers. Bear in mind that a block of fields may belong to different farmers and if you've got some of them you might get permission for the others in the block.

Hope this helps and doesn't duplicate what others have said (i only skim read the topic).

Dave

By the way, if you're in a car, it might be useful to have the necessaries in the boot in case someone says GET YOURSELF ON !!

>Look for a fellow with a plastic bag on his foot, he'll be in a tractor.

>Then ask him:

>"Are you the farmer?"

Seconded. You should also tell him that you've come on holiday by mistake.

And then later on ... When driving away ... A bottle of unadulterated childs wee , will come in very handy ..

all the best yis yp :rolleyes:

"Very...very ....foolish words man.If I spike you,you`d think a brain tumour was a birthday present!"

My problen is this:- My house backs onto approx 100 acres of lovely vermin infested farm land. Whats the problem i hear you ask, well the Farmers wife is a pretty little blonde thing about 20 years younger than he, i have tried to convince him that im only hrer to shoot orrible things but he dont believe me!!! Cant think why :rolleyes:

YP, I've never given a bottle when I've been let on (seems like a bit of a bribe to me), but ALWAYS at xmas. This year they were really treated well as ASDA had a 2 litre bottles for £20 deal on so all farmers got a litre of Bells.

Dave

YP, I've never given a bottle when I've been let on (seems like a bit of a bribe to me), but ALWAYS at xmas. This year they were really treated well as ASDA had a 2 litre bottles for £20 deal on so all farmers got a litre of Bells.

Dave

DaveK .... ASK ME ASK ME ASK ME !!!!!¬

all the best yis yp :rolleyes: