Lyalvale English Sporter Shells

Bought a batch of these as they were on offer a little while ago.

They appear not to like Semi Autos.

Have tried them in a W&S and Beretta both with the same results...

In roughly 25% of shots the cartridge fails to clear the breech and fails to enter the ejection opening and sits flat (its a bit difficult to explain and i for

got to get a picture) with the need to lock back the bolt and to try and 'finger' the cartridge out

As a test we tried a variety of other makes with no problems just to prove the guns

The only thing we can come up with is that the brass is too short (very unprobable due to the nature of the jam) or the crimp is failing to round properly causing it to catch the crimp is also 3mm longer when opened

anyone have any ideas, i have e-mailed Lyalvale and am awaiting a response

I have added a picture (Lyalvale on Left and Eley on Right)

IMGP1914.jpg

I tend not to buy "cheap" cartridges as they tend to be inconsistent, through an O/U or S/S they are not a problem but I tend to buy something a little more expensive to fire through my Urika 2 I have been using Express 24gm fibre recently.

I have maybe a failure to feed once in every 500 shots.

Have you watched anyone using an O/U fire cheap shells the recoil is tremendous, compared to something better.

i have a similar problem, the answer was cheap cartridges didn't work. just looking at the picture i've noticed the shell coming away from the brass on that lyvale cartridge. The length of crimp doesn't matter, the amount of lip on the end of the brass does as this is what is caught by the extractor on it's way out.

i have a similar problem, the answer was cheap cartridges didn't work. just looking at the picture i've noticed the shell coming away from the brass on that lyvale cartridge. The length of crimp doesn't matter, the amount of lip on the end of the brass does as this is what is caught by the extractor on it's way out.

I hadnt noticed that.. that may be the answer!! the extractor may be letting go of the brass hence it 'falls' flat

I would agree with Gram71. I've had the same problem with poorly defined lips on the brass.

Especially if the extractor gets a bit fouled up my Urika will fail to clear.

Now I always make a point of cleaning it after every outing.

GH