Good cartridge for urika 2

mfrcus

mine will cycle 24 gram, only shot a few odd ones the misses had left over though, so not really a good test :hmm:

normally use 28 gram in it for clays and not had anything that wouldn't cycle as yet. :no:

21 grams are a no go, went to a shoot on isle of wight an this was all they had, it just didn't want to know. but to be honest i didn't expect it to :hmm:

you probably know this but just in case.

might have been too new when i tried them, only bought it a few days before we went.

i think they may well have been the first carts through it.

believe me it gets cleaned and oiled after every outing. :hmm:

will have to try some more now its been used a bit more.

still love it though :hmm:

:hmm: This is a real strange one.

My Urika 2 was bought brand new and I`v had nothing but jam after jam even with 32g /70mm shells.

I sent it back to Beretta and they replaced some parts and it was fine for a week or two but then it all started again.

I clean it all very well, I`m a bit of a nut for that kind of thing.

It`s only shot around 1,000 cartridges

I know some auto`s need a few thousand cartridges put through for them to work well, I`v seen that several times.

Shame, because I do like the gun and I sometimes use it for tuition if need be.

I know lots of other people with them that swear by them.

:no: I think I was the one that got the lemon, it`s going to have to go back again.

It is a fact though that auto`s work better with 70mm cartridges.

I`v been given the new A400 Beretta Auto to try this week and believe it or not that jamed for at least the first 20 times and then it came together and that was using some punchy 28g Fiocchi`s that I had been given.

Will let you know how I get on with it in the near future, but apart from the first lot of jams, my first impressions are very good. :hmm:

Edited by COACH

:hmm:

My Urika 2 was bought brand new and I`v had nothing but jam after jam even with 32g /70mm shells.

I sent it back to Beretta and they replaced some parts and it was fine for a week or two but then it all started again.

Coach, Can you be more specific about the nature of the jamming.Is it a failure to feed the second cartridge into the breech.Does it hang up at about the one or two o'clock position on the breech face?

Vic.

Mine will happly shoot Eley 21g firsts. When I first got it, secondhand, it would hang up every so often. It did not seem to matter what cartridge or load was used at least one every box would hang up in the ejection port. After reading of other peoples experiences I changed the carrier from that of the 391 pattern to that of the 390 pattern. The 391 carrier being visably bent. This appears to have solved all my problems and the thing cycles any and everything I chuck at it even 21g cartridges, as said before. I am sure the previous owner must have got rid of the beast because of the problems it had in cycling. Just as a side note I did buy a light gas spring kit from Cole gunsmiths of America, especially for light loads, but after changing the carrier I have not seen the need to install it. The gun was very clean when I got it and I kept it so. I did think that I must not have cleaned it well enough in the begining, but after changing the carrier I am not so fussy about the cleaning and it works fine. ATB Richard.

:hmm: Vic, it seems to mainly leave the empty cartridge hanging out the side and I have to pull it out quick for the second shot.

However it occasionally just leaves the empty cartridge in the gun but it has been pulled back but not thrown out so the second one can be loaded. :hmm:

As Blaser said, the most common cause of poor ejection is clogged up gas ports but since your gun has had the problem from new this is unlikely.However it won't hurt to make sure they are clean.It may also be worth removing the recoil spring in the tube in the stock and ensuring that it is clean and free to move.There is an excellent US forum that has loads of info on Beretta autos and loads else besides.Have a trawl through that.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum....09dfa788c0659f2

Vic.

:) Vic, it seems to mainly leave the empty cartridge hanging out the side and I have to pull it out quick for the second shot.

However it occasionally just leaves the empty cartridge in the gun but it has been pulled back but not thrown out so the second one can be loaded. :lol:

Remove the breach carrier and rod ( see link) take the lot out and clean down with a proprietary cleaner (or diesel :yp: )

dry off well and give a very light oiling, my gun did exactly as yours, to much of giving it a squirt of cleaner and oil was the culprit you will be surprised how much gunk builds up if you have not removed the carrier and trigger unit, you can also clean the gas port but in reality it is just about self cleaning its the moving parts that want fettling,keep them clean and very very lightly oiled a mere wipe no more.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=101242

KW

I found all manner of 28gs no probs from new, would not do 21's though, used a few boxes of 24's after a couple months w/o any probs. Now does 21g hull comp x's for clays but will not reliably cycle 3 of the same in the field in ultra rapid sucession (not really a problem though as I use 28g plus on live stuff).

BR

Raja

I thought it may be the ports as well but I`v cleaned them very well several times now.

I take out the trigger and wash with napier oil regularly as well.

Maybe it needs a few magnums through it to loosen it up a bit. : :good:

Edited by COACH

I have used Beretta 300 series autos for 25 years,some new some used.I have never had a new one that needed breaking in with heavy cartridges before it would cycle properly but I have found that the new ones did need a complete strip clean to remove the grease that is applied when manufactured. the only place I use grease is copper kote on the forend endcap thread to stop it seizing.

My current 391 I bought very cheaply and virtually unused because it had the 'twisted carrier' problem mentioned by Richard.It is a well known and documented problem in the US because they have far more 391's over there.The second cartridge fails to feed into the breech and is caused by the carrier being twisted to the right.As it lifts the cartridge it puts it over to the top right of the breech face and jams.As Richard said it can be cured by fitting a carrier from the 390 but the latest fix from the US is to simply twist the carrier the other way.This is what I did to mine and it hasn't jammed for over 5000 rounds now whereas when I first got it it jammed every dozen or so cartridges.

Vic.

Well i've tried a few carts now ,it doesn't seem to like hull x 28's perhaps its because there 65m .Have allso found it doesn't allways cycle the carts properly ,it doesn't jam but it is a pain when they don't feed properly .cheers marcus

I have used Beretta 300 series autos for 25 years,some new some used.I have never had a new one that needed breaking in with heavy cartridges before it would cycle properly but I have found that the new ones did need a complete strip clean to remove the grease that is applied when manufactured. the only place I use grease is copper kote on the forend endcap thread to stop it seizing.

My current 391 I bought very cheaply and virtually unused because it had the 'twisted carrier' problem mentioned by Richard.It is a well known and documented problem in the US because they have far more 391's over there.The second cartridge fails to feed into the breech and is caused by the carrier being twisted to the right.As it lifts the cartridge it puts it over to the top right of the breech face and jams.As Richard said it can be cured by fitting a carrier from the 390 but the latest fix from the US is to simply twist the carrier the other way.This is what I did to mine and it hasn't jammed for over 5000 rounds now whereas when I first got it it jammed every dozen or so cartridges.

Vic.

Just read this Vic & mine seems to do the same ,is it an easy fix ,baring in mind i'm not to clever at this sort of thing ..cheers marcus

Marcus it is quite easy to do.I must get round to taking a photo of the procedure,then I can send you one.It is rumoured that bending the carrier is the method Briley use in the US to cure the fail to feed problem.

Ok thanks that would be good ..cheers marcus