rabbit 'twitching' after death

i shot this rabbit last week - nice clean headshot with the hmr at 80mtrs, it dropped on the spot and didnt move, i left it for 10 mins before moving from my position to retrieve it - any way - when i did i dropped it along side me and sat back down to wait for another.10 mins later= when all of a sudden its back legs kicked hard - to say it made be jump was an understatement - it was at least 20 minutes after i shot it, anyway i got my phone out to try and catch it - by the time i did it had stopped kicking - but it got even stranger - it looked like something was moving underneath the skin on the rear legs / back - i have shot a fair few rabbits and not seen this before. when i skinned it it had a large tapeworm cyst on its rear leg (i dont know / dont think it had anything to do with this??) - so it stayed under the hedge for the fox.

edit - here it is

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> Edited by pegasus bridge

Thats just normal post mortum convulsion, I kill pigs and sheep at work and they twitch and squirm even after skinning and guts have been dropped.

Fox got a nice meal, the tapeworm will have had no part of this, all bunnies will be full of worm burden anyway, but good through cooking sorts it out.

You'll find if you pinch the back legs, or the sternum you'll replicate this, painful areas will get a reaction, even if the brain is missing!

Edited by kyska

Thats just normal post mortum convulsion, I kill pigs and sheep at work and they twitch and squirm even after skinning and guts have been dropped.

Fox got a nice meal, the tapeworm will have had no part of this, all bunnies will be full of worm burden anyway, but good through cooking sorts it out.

You'll find if you pinch the back legs, or the sternum you'll replicate this, painful areas will get a reaction, even if the brain is missing!

Fox got a nice meal!

its the first time i have seen this so long after death - i wouldnt have given it a second thought if it had done this when it was hit - but it started 20 mins afterwards! - i never keep the rabbits if they have the 'jelly' looking cysts on muscle - it justs puts me right off eating them :yes:

pegasus bridge that rabbit is going to haunt you !!! ;)

ive only had that straight after a shot not 20 min after.. is it a nerve thing?

It is, and it may have a effect as the muscle is cooling down rapidly in the snow. As I've said above, I've seen animals, especially sheep having muscle spasms for a lot longer than 20 minute.

I skinned one once after a long while and as I did it there was that 'under the skin' looking spasm all down it's back either side of the spine. Looked really odd.

I generally chuck ones with cysts now, as if there is one there are often others in other places. One time i chopped a leg off that had a cyst in it, which was in actual fact all the way down it's leg. Then a couple of months later after freezing it I was jointing it, cut along the saddle to get a nice squirt of cyst jelly all over me.

And last time I got one with a cyst my dog got hold of it and then needed worming ;):/

I skinned one once after a long while and as I did it there was that 'under the skin' looking spasm all down it's back either side of the spine. Looked really odd.

I generally chuck ones with cysts now, as if there is one there are often others in other places. One time i chopped a leg off that had a cyst in it, which was in actual fact all the way down it's leg. Then a couple of months later after freezing it I was jointing it, cut along the saddle to get a nice squirt of cyst jelly all over me.

And last time I got one with a cyst my dog got hold of it and then needed worming ;):/

Thats an interesting point, how many of you guys shooting worm yourselves? I have to by health and safety, recommended every 6 six months in my job.

The strawberry one tastes the best, if there is a best...........

• 2 weeks later...
Thats an interesting point, how many of you guys shooting worm yourselves? I have to by health and safety, recommended every 6 six months in my job.

That is an interesting point, I have never even thought about it.

Would you be good enough to explain why you have to be wormed. I would be very interested.

Also what are your thoughts about shooting folks in general getting wormed. Dont get me wrong I know nothing at all about this subject and would welcome your comments. :welcomeani:

That is an interesting point, I have never even thought about it.

Would you be good enough to explain why you have to be wormed. I would be very interested.

Also what are your thoughts about shooting folks in general getting wormed. Dont get me wrong I know nothing at all about this subject and would welcome your comments. :welcomeani:

I work for a Vet school and obviously have to do strange things to animals, our health and safety policy suggests that we worm ourselves on a regular basis.

Most intestinal worms will live in any mammals gut!

I've had worms, ringworm, orf alsorts of zoonoses!

I work for a Vet school and obviously have to do strange things to animals, our health and safety policy suggests that we worm ourselves on a regular basis.

Most intestinal worms will live in any mammals gut!

I've had worms, ringworm, orf alsorts of zoonoses!

How do you get these things? Not washing hands touching your mouth nose etc? :yes:

How did you get them? :welcomeani: What did you have to do?

Headshots usually leave them twitching for ages and ages. I have found that squeezing the spine about an hour after death will still draw a twitch.

Nothing more than the remaining electrical signals from the brain. That rabbit will have not suffered in the slightest if it was a headshot.

How do you get these things? Not washing hands touching your mouth nose etc? :angry:

How did you get them? :unsure: What did you have to do?

Headshots usually leave them twitching for ages and ages. I have found that squeezing the spine about an hour after death will still draw a twitch.

Nothing more than the remaining electrical signals from the brain. That rabbit will have not suffered in the slightest if it was a headshot.

yea spot on, like I've said several times I've seen big convulsions in animals that have been very dead for nearly an hour.

Catching worms is easy, I'd be surprised if a lot of people here who crawl around in the undergrowth, shoot, skin animals and then smoke, chew nails etc wouldn't have a worm burden of some sort.

Itchy **** is the symptom, rice type grains in your dumps or in extreme cases actual worms protruding from your ****.

Treatment, go to the Pharmacy, explain that you like rolling around fields that farm animals live and pull small mammals guts out without any gloves on, they should offer a tablet or a 'milkshake' type product.

Tapeworm is a common infection in humans, rabbits pick the eggs up from fox/badger faeces etc.

Don't get me wrong, its nothing to worry about, its just my stupid occupational health dept...I think there is a Dr on this site, he'll explain better than I can, I just do animals.

Those little hitchhikers are just an effective way of keeping my weight in check.... :unsure:

Catching worms is easy, I'd be surprised if a lot of people here who crawl around in the undergrowth, shoot, skin animals and then smoke, chew nails etc wouldn't have a worm burden of some sort.

Tapeworm is a common infection in humans, rabbits pick the eggs up from fox/badger faeces etc.

???:angry::good::P :P :) :) :lol: :lol: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Anyone else ******* themselves at the thought of all of a sudden getting an itchy **** hole?

FM :no:

• 3 months later...

Because half of it's face was missing along with it's brain.

Shooting in the chest will induce less twitching, as the brain stem or spine isn't damage, yet the death will be slightly slower. Shooting in the head (especially with HMR) will vapourise it's brain before it knows it's ben shot, but the nerves are damaged.

:oops: