Microwave Repair

lord_seagrave

The microwave has packed up.

What is especially annoying is that it's still making all the right noises; the turntable is turning, and the light comes on, but it doesn't cook anything.

Can anyone recommend a repair man in South East London, or, indeed can anyone recommend the appropriate action to take? This might well be to chuck it and get a new one.

Advice gratefully received, as ever. It's a Cookworks signature something or other, brushed steel, and bought about two years ago from Argos in Lewisham for about £55.

Regards,

LS

The microwave has packed up.

What is especially annoying is that it's still making all the right noises; the turntable is turning, and the light comes on, but it doesn't cook anything.

Can anyone recommend a repair man in South East London, or, indeed can anyone recommend the appropriate action to take? This might well be to chuck it and get a new one.

Advice gratefully received, as ever. It's a Cookworks signature something or other, brushed steel, and bought about two years ago from Argos in Lewisham for about £55.

Regards,

LS

Think you answered your own question really, cheaper to get a new one made in china than to get anything repaired.

Thanks chaps, that's sort of the reply I was expecting. :hmm:

It really pains me to chuck it, given that it is nice and easy to use, does the job and looks nice. If I can get it fixed, even if it costs me as much as I bought it for, and it can go on for another couple of years, then I think I'd be happier.

Alternatively, is there a really simple, well-built, long-lasting microwave oven out there? I don't want a grill, or anything fancy. In fact I've only used the 'defrost' setting once since I bought it. I only ever use it on full power for re-heating leftovers, and cooking vegetables. :yes:

LS

Might be worth checking to see if it had an extended warranty, otherwise i'd have said what everyone else has, buy a new one.

We bought a Delonghi a few years back, no thrills just manual timer and power adjustment rated at 850w. It cost us £75 in a sale at Comet and has proven to be the best microwave I have ever owned.

I like the microwaves that have the dials on the front of them, never could stand the electronic ones.

my routine, through it in, turn the ****, come back when it pings, seemples :good:

Likewise. I never could see the point of all the diiferent powers and programmes settings and suchlike.

Perhaps somewhere there is a manufacturer who thinks just like that a makes a really simple one for the likes of us...?

:blush:

LS

Likewise. I never could see the point of all the diiferent powers and programmes settings and suchlike.

Perhaps somewhere there is a manufacturer who thinks just like that a makes a really simple one for the likes of us...?

:blush:

LS

mine's a samsung

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-M1712N-Wat...n/dp/B0000ABF3N

only two controls, and that's the way I like it :good:

It sounds like the magnetron has packed up.

If you are technically minded and have access to an ohmmeter, try following the steps HERE.

Magnetrons are manufactured as self contained units, so theoretically should be replaceable if this turns out to be the cause.

ZB

It sounds like the magnetron has packed up.

If you are technically minded and have access to an ohmmeter, try following the steps HERE.

Magnetrons are manufactured as self contained units, so theoretically should be replaceable if this turns out to be the cause.

ZB

Someone once told me that Microwaves have capacitors in them that have even killed trained microwave engineers!

I think I would buy a new one.

My last one caught fire at the back, without even being in use.