when is a reload classed as a bullet

except that expanding bullets count against your allocation allowances. For instance, if I can have 500 223 rounds, I can buy a 500 box of v-maxes. Doesn't matter if they are still in the original bullet box or loaded into rounds, they count as my 500 allowed. Target (non expanding) bullets do not count against your allotment and you can have as many as you want that arent' loaded.

The bullet itself is what really matters. You can have as many primed (empty) brass as you want so long as you are within the explosives/powder limits (which no one really needs to worry about with just primed brass).

Thanks,

Rick

Edited by casts_by_fly

If it's in a state ready to be loaded into a gun and fired, that is to say the brass case has a primer inserted, there's a charge of powder in it and there's a bullet (don't know where 'head' comes from - the thing that flies out of the front of gun on firing is called a 'bullet')jammed in the front of it, it is a round of ammunition and counts towards your allocation.

Until it's all put together, it's just components, and doesn't count towards you allocation.

<dons tin hat>

In the West Mercia Police area certificates are issued that state that expanding missiles (bullets) count as rounds held. So I can buy 100 and hold 160 rounds/expanding bullets at any one time. There is no limit on FMJ bullets that I can hold for target shooting, but I cannot make up more than 160 rounds of fully finished ammo or i am breaking my conditions as written.

ft

yes expanding go's against your amount to buy. so if you can buy 200 rounds the you can only buy 200 expanding heads. but target ammo ie amax you could buy as many heads you like

soon as you make them up tho weather its expanding or target rounds you can only keep what it says to hold on your fac. ie'' hold 300 then 300 is all your aloud to hold.

no matter what heads you buy here in west mercia it dont get wrote on ticket, but expanding heads get wrote in the rfd's book.

what i would say is keep a record of your heads you have had on your pc when and where you got them. that why when you come for renewal of ticket you can show you have been reloading your own

no matter what heads you buy here in west mercia it dont get wrote on ticket, but expanding heads get wrote in the rfd's book.

All my purchases of expanding ammo and expanding bullets have been written on my FAC, as have my mates who live in the area.

ft

Im not certain that expanding projectiles do count towards your allocation? I know you have to hold a cert which allows you to use/hold expanding projectiles. But if i went into a shop and asked for 1000 expanding projectiles (when i can only hold say 500 rounds of .223) that they would not sell them to me.

Its an interesting question.

The answer is to have your allowance considerably more than you need.

Having had a quick look around it looks like the projectiles do count towards your overall count. My above advice still stand though, if in doubt, ask for lots! (from the feo..)

Of course, the other way round it, depending on calibre etc, is to use Hornady's A-max throughout - AFAIK they hit like a V-max but simply are designated for target work. And you can have as many as you want...
A man after my own heart :angry:

ft

:angry::P There's a reason why it's illegal to use FMJs to kill animals. If they were as hard hitting as V-max, they would be under section 5.

Please, don't ruin it for others. Just go and buy expanding bullets if you have the authority to do so. If you don't, stick to your target shooting.

:good::) There's a reason why it's illegal to use FMJs to kill animals. If they were as hard hitting as V-max, they would be under section 5.

Please, don't ruin it for others. Just go and buy expanding bullets if you have the authority to do so. If you don't, stick to your target shooting.

As far as I know, it's illegal to use FMJ to kill deer, but I don't there's a law that stipulates expanding ammo must be used on other animals like fox. We are given permission to buy expanding to shoot vermin, but I don't think it's a legal requirement that we use it.

Having said that, of course, I wouldn't entertain using anything but expanding on live quarry.

A max is an expanding projectile, but as its designed for target its not classed as expanding for some stupid reason. If you look on Hornadys website they list it suitable for thin skinned game.

I do agree though, i would always use expanding, but Amax is the exception and its a pretty destructive round at that.

It is perfectly legal to use FMJ on any animal except deer.

However, I am not advocating the use of FMJ on anything. The reason I specifically named the a-max is because it is a special case. Hornady has taken their vmax and realised that it has good accuracy and BC, and re-badged it for use on targets.

It expands very nicely but it is a 'target' bullet, and it is our laws that are odd.

There is nothing wrong with this approach, so please don't flame me without anything solid to say!

:good::yes: There's a reason why it's illegal to use FMJs to kill animals. If they were as hard hitting as V-max, they would be under section 5.

It isn't an FMJ, it is a ballistic tip, I can confirm they are very effective on foxes.

I have both expanding and target heads what I was really wanting to know was can I prime rounds but not put in the powder and the heads is this classed as part of my allocation? various people have given me several different answers to this.

Sam,

Since no one answered yet, the answer is yes, you can prime as many cases as you have. I've got 150 or so primed and ready to load in 223 at home. Just need to charge and seat.

Thanks,

Rick

As Rick says the answer is YES.

The Home Office manual sayeth "a complete round consists of the bullet, the cartridge case, the propellant and the primer"

You can find a link to the Manual at

http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/operationa...ance/index.html

But the bullet/missile designed to expand counts towards your limit whether loaded or not.

Edited by seeker