Loosing coolant

smiiithy

I recently bought a Mk 4 Golf TDi. I had my clutch replaced Monday last week. Yesterday I started getting a "STOP.. Check Coolant" warning. I went to the dealership and got the correct coolant G12++ which was £8-odd for 1.5L. I topped it up and diluted to the correct amount. This morning I'm getting the same warning and the coolant is back down to the min level. I can see a bit of fluid around the window washer bottle and I think one of the pipes looks like it has tape around it possibly to patch it up. My usual mechanic slipped a disc last week and will be out of action for some time and I don't know where to turn :)

Edited by smiiithy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a plan. Apparently a new tank is about £12 but not sure about the pipe.

I've already got the pump and timing belt kit ready in the house but not due for another 20K or so but if it needs doing it's not a major drama. Was just hoping my mechanic would be back on his feet for me to get some cheap labour.

I had a saab that used to leak coolant, rad pipes used to split regularly, turned out that over the years some bright spark kept filling the rad with tap water and it corroded the alloy head! had water leaking from the jacket directly into 2 of the cylinders, thus creating enough pressure from the compression of the cylinders into the coolant system and bursting the hoses.

I can see a bit of fluid around the window washer bottle and I think one of the pipes looks like it has tape around it possibly to patch it up.

What has fluid loss from the windscreen washer bottle got to do with a possible engine coolant leak? If there are no obvious leaks and you really need to be under the car to check properly,the coolant may be going into the cylinder(s) and therefore point to possible head gasket problems.

The fluid loss isn't from the windscreen washer bottle, the bottles are side by side and there is fluid in the engine bay around the washer bottle, which is where I imagine it would run if there was a leak in the engine coolant tank.

What has fluid loss from the windscreen washer bottle got to do with a possible engine coolant leak? If there are no obvious leaks and you really need to be under the car to check properly,the coolant may be going into the cylinder(s) and therefore point to possible head gasket problems.

It's £21 to temporarily insure my Clio for another week. I'm taking it back to the garage who replaced the clutch to check it out and do what needs doing. Does anybody know if the coolant header tank and pipes would have been disconnected/taken out while it was having the clutch replaced?

Edited by smiiithy

if you have not had the correct amount of antifreeze in you may as markbivvy suggests have popped out a core plug.They are cheap enough to buy but can be a ****** to fit.Had it happen to me once many years ago so always check my anti freeze carefully.Hope you get it sorted.

Thats what I'm thinking but he's not the guy I normally use since my usual mechanic can hardly walk never mind replace a clutch. Somebody else covered for him so I wont be able to speak to him until the garage opens on Monday morning when I'll be taking the car down anyway. Hopefully it is something simple and wont cost too much :)

You said you've only had the car a few weeks .

Did you buy privately or from a dealer ?

If it's the latter top the coolent up drive it streight to the dealer , chuck the keys athim and demand your money back .

You have already put a clutch in it , now the coolant level is playing up .

Sounds to me like your very unlucky .

all the best yis yp :angry:

No I can't see any wet patches anywhere. I drove it home from work last night and the temp guage climbed to 90 and stopped there until I got home as it normally would. Hope it's not the head gasket, I'm thinking it's probably a clip that hasn't been tightened properly as it has only started since the clutch was done :angry: Should know for use tomorrow when it gets checked out

Could be a simple leak.....

Maybe the heater matrix has failed?, do any of the carpets appear to be wet?

Or the Head gasket is shot....

You need to do a pressure test of the system to be sure...