Tips for a new shooter (Roost Shooting)

Stuart049

Hey guys,

Im new to the forum and new to shooting, im student farmer in suffolk and iv been wanting to get into shooting for a long time now, but i wanted to get some experiance with shooting before i got myself a gun just to see if i enjoy it.

I know of a local gamekeeper who has offered to let me and a mate go out Roost Shooting with him in the evenings, this is a great opportunity for us because we can have a go at shooting for free as hes offered to supply the cartriges and guns.

Only problem is i havent done any shooting before and iv herd pigeon shooting isnt the best way to start off. I had my first go last week and the gamekeeper took me through the basics and put me in a spot in the woods with a small clearing in the trees above. i had several shots and only got 1 pigeon, which to be honest im still quite proud about as it was my first hit.

I was just looking for any tips with shooting them, i wasnt quite sure where to aim, i was aiming just infront but some people say you need to aim quite far infront of them. But ofcourse this depends on allot of things, i was just wondering if anyone had any tips to help out.

Any tips about aiming/shooting or just general tips would be appreciated... (please dont just suggest i go practice on the clays though, this has been offered to me for free so im going to take up the offer whilst i can)

Thanks

Stuart

you have probably been told this...

never stop swinging!?

follow the bird...swing through...pull the trigeer and keep following...

Thats what i always got told when i started, but it can be difficult in woods if the pigeons are moving quick you may have to point and shoot.

Decide whereabouts you are going to kill the bird-follow it with the tip of your barrels till its just shy of the killing spot-mount the gun and swing tru the bird thinking bum-belly-beak then bang.Dont snatch the shot-dont stop swinging till the shot has well gone and ignore any branches as if they were not there.As the light fades you should be o.k. to stand in front of a tree or sometimes even right on the edge of the wood.Wear something over your face as its the most likely thing to spook the birds and finally ENJOY-dont get over worried if you miss a lot as its all experience.Good Luck. :yes:

I would say get yourself down the nearest clay ground with your mate and get a few rounds on the skeet, that will just about cover most shots you would take on pigeons,

when you improve your kill rate on the clays then i think your roost shooting will no doubt return bigger bags, and therefore a much larger grin on your face :yes:

I personaly think you owe it to yourself and the quarry to be a better shot,

All the best

Where we go roost shooting the birds are really fast. What I try to do is mount and swing late, this naturally makes me swing the gun fast past the bird. This normally gets me the best results. As hard as it all sounds you will soon get the hang of it, when I first started my biggest fault was thinking to much, just enjoy.

I would say get yourself down the nearest clay ground with your mate and get a few rounds on the skeet, that will just about cover most shots you would take on pigeons,

when you improve your kill rate on the clays then i think your roost shooting will no doubt return bigger bags, and therefore a much larger grin on your face :yes:

I personaly think you owe it to yourself and the quarry to be a better shot,

All the best

read his post again mate!

Roost shooting can be fast and furious mate,get on the bird as fast as you can,you will soon learn where you need to be shooting,dont worry,just enjoy if you miss you miss,it can be pretty difficult shooting through cover,ie tree tops :yes: i find it best to use 32g carts for this sort of shooting,and you will find the day after you will most likely have neck ache, from all the looking up :P BB

thanks guys

had another go this evening, still only shot one... but i guess thats ok for a begginer?

i think my biggest problem is im mounting the gun to late, by the time iv seen the bird mounted the gun its nearly gone so i tend to rush it and pull the trigger anyway.

mite consider asking the gamekeeper if hes got time one day to let me have a go on the clays just the get the hang of where im aiming :good:

I have read the post again and i am most humberly sorry to you, my "mate" I have a friend at last TJ91 :good:

The only tip i could give then is to use some lofters to tempt them towards your gun, hows that "my mate" :blink:

pretty pathetic

e_o

thanks guys

had another go this evening, still only shot one... but i guess thats ok for a begginer?

i think my biggest problem is im mounting the gun to late, by the time iv seen the bird mounted the gun its nearly gone so i tend to rush it and pull the trigger anyway.

mite consider asking the gamekeeper if hes got time one day to let me have a go on the clays just the get the hang of where im aiming :blink:

stick at you will get there!

i personally think the best thing is to practise on what you will shoot most, if you are wanting to shoot pigeons keep trying at them, dont waste time with clays...even though some wouldnt agree

Having been an avid clay man for 8 years im not a bad shot however for the last six months Ive been on the pigeon.I am amazed at the difference, clays being much easier IMHO so as above and like me just keep at it. I am getting better slowly . Clays are good though to get you used to mounting the gun correctly and honing your technic in general really

Hope this helps a little Jim

Some may advise clay shooting to help with pratise , but I would not. I find the disaplin of live shooting is nothing like shooting any form of clay. If you want to screw up your live bird shooting try a few clays , but if you want to shoot well at live game avoid clays like the plauge.

First thing when roost shooting is have a look at the flightlines into the wood. You will find they will change according to the wind.

Next pick a place where you feel comfortable shooting. I like to find a clearing if possible rather than shooting through the woodland canopy.

If there a natural hide such as a bush or fallen tree trunk use it as a hide.

Match your clothing to the background. Pigeons have good eyesight and will quickly pick up anyhing unusual.

Most of your shots will be above tree top level so use some choke in your gun and a reasonable heavy load such as 32 gr of 6s. You can go up to 36 gr loads and no 5 , but 36 gr loads tend to be slow compared to the lighter loads and to my mind are not worth the extra money.

Pick your bird and keep the gun pointing infront of the bird even after you fire.

Do not fire at birds out of range.

Good luck and do not be too disapointed at your cartridge average. Roost shooting at pigeon can be one of the hardest forms of live bird shooting.

excellent thanks :blink:

so you reckon the best thing is to just keep at the pigeons? rather than getting too used to the clays... makes scene

I have quite a good spot where i shoot, theres a narrow track going through the wood which leaves a small clearing above, as its winter allot of the trees i can see through but in front of my are several fur trees which the pigeons like to land in so it appear to be quite a good spot, i see a fair few birds.... i just need more practice.

iv no idea how much lead to give an average bird which is party where im struggling i know it all depends how high/ how fast/ direction and everything but iv no idea how far ahead to aim :blink: so thats why i think a few clays might help? just to get the hang of the amount of lead i need to give? i suppose ill get it though with practice

Hi Stuart!!

Welcome to a lifelong obsession, you will become enthralled in the countryside with this "sport".

Please can I be as bold as to say to you, never "aim" with a shotgun, that is generally accepted as a sure fire way to miss.

How this works is if you look at where the end of the barrels are pointing, you have taken your eye off the bird and will either a) stop the gun (deffo miss behind scenario!) or :blink: take your head off the stock (easier to correct for me at least, but anything I hit is a fluke anyway!!) this will again cause you to miss.

I take it as such you haven't yet applied for your Shotgun cert? One of the best ways to improve your shooting is to practice what is known as "dry mounting". Despite this sounding quite painful, it is the process of taking your gun, and practicing getting it into your shoulder as smoothly and consistently as possible. Watch the really good shots, the mount of the gun is almost poetic, as soon as the butt pad is in the shoulder, the birds head is back and a clean kill achieved. So until you get your cert, this may be a little tricky to do, unless you get a pal to practice at his...

As for the clays, different strokes for different folks. I personally find it helps me, and being a newcomer it would be a good thing to get some practice in anyway. There is a discipline of clay shooting called Skeet which is great for beginners, as it shows you all the angles of a target at quite close range, don't think it's easy, far from it, but it is very good practice in teaching lead and gun mount. The other thing you could do is get a mate to take you on an easy stand, and fire a few off there. However, make sure your pal does know what they are talking about or it could give you badhabits or lead to unsafe practice.

Hope to have been some small help in anyway, please shout up if I can do any more :blink:

Kev

Brilliant thats very helpull thankyou :blink:

i havent yet got my cert, i was going to apply for it soon but i wasnt sure whether i needed a Gun Cabinet before applying or if i only need that when i add a gun to the cert.... At the moment im borrowing the gamekeepers guns, i dont yet have my own so i dont yet have anywhere i need to store it. I will probabaly be buying my own gun this summer but for the time being im borrowing....

So do i need to have a cabinet set up before i apply?

thanks