Discovery 2.7 TD v6

Cosd

Ok, did a search on here and couldn't find anything so question goes out to you guys...

What's the Discovery TD3 like, good and bad. It''l be an early one, so 2004/5, has to be auto and diesel.

I want a bigger car for home as two coupe's between me and the wife is a pain in the rear and not practical at all. I like my luxury, I motorway drive every day (45miles) and want to use it to get across a field to where I want to build a hide as well. This car seems to tick all the boxes.

I was looking at Freelanders and got shot down on that, so what say you on this Disco....?

I think jimo1r on here has one, blew the turbo pretty soon after getting it which wasn't cheap to sort out.

we've a few out on our syndicate and the owners don't like to get them muddy so no idea what they're like off road, seem good on road though just to me a bit smart for a shooting wagon

Edited by al4x

I think jimo1r on here has one, blew the turbo pretty soon after getting it which wasn't cheap to sort out.

we've a few out on our syndicate and the owners don't like to get them muddy so no idea what they're like off road, seem good on road though just to me a bit smart for a shooting wagon

It will be my car first and foremost, with the luxury of being able to take it onto a field when I go shooting. I really can't see it not coping with driving on a muddy field. I know people make references to "off roading" but I don't really see driving around a field as off roading if that makes sense.

not sure about off Road or on any muddy field, at the does show yesterday we drove out in the defender happily with no trouble, a disco 3 tdv6 reversed out of its space, and got stuck on first corner, other pickups were fine aswell, along with a disco 2,

other experience i had in one was the same, got stuck straight away on a slightly muddy patch with a series 3 driving round past it,

maybe would be better with chunkier tyres but then would not be great for motorway :good:

anyway, i am not conviced about the things off road

They're about the most competent vehicle about off road and on the right tyres will outperform most things. Like most 4x4's, road tyres and driver competency are the weak links, but even on road tyres they'll get you most places you need to go. Standard PW response seems to slag anything off that isn't a 20 year old rust bucket though, so listen to those who own D3's rather than those who wish they did and have never even driven one :lol:

Have a look on the disco3 forum for some good info about them, particularly things to watch out for when buying secondhand.

I'd say this is pretty good offroad performance :good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U-yFmnu0sY

Oh, and a good like for like comparison here - first hand experience of several vehicles on the same tyres:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post550357.html#550357

Edited by Cushat

I've driven a Disco 3 for the last 4 1/2 years at work on road and would buy one tomorrow if I had the money. As for off road I did the advanced training course at Coniston Cold (landrover experience) work paid for it)). The places the Disco went I cannot imagine needing to go with a pigeon hide over fields. Perhaps as a keeper but then you wouldn't opt for the disco to cart bags of feed about.

They're about the most competent vehicle about off road and on the right tyres will outperform most things. Like most 4x4's, road tyres and driver competency are the weak links, but even on road tyres they'll get you most places you need to go. Standard PW response seems to slag anything off that isn't a 20 year old rust bucket though, so listen to those who own D3's rather than those who wish they did and have never even driven one :lol:

Have a look on the disco3 forum for some good info about them, particularly things to watch out for when buying secondhand.

I'd say this is pretty good offroad performance :good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U-yFmnu0sY

Oh, and a good like for like comparison here - first hand experience of several vehicles on the same tyres:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post550357.html#550357

mmm someones got a chip on their shoulder !!!

mmm someones got a chip on their shoulder !!!

I don't have a mate who met a bloke in pub who's brother's third cousin twice removed who once saw a D3 get stuck on a flat, dry field and was pulled out by a [insert chosen brand of 4x4] so I can't join in the D3 slagging. Sorry :hmm:

Guess I'll just have to be happy with my D3 and my chip then :good::lol::lol:

I don't have a mate who met a bloke in pub who's brother's third cousin twice removed who once saw a D3 get stuck on a flat, dry field and was pulled out by a [insert chosen brand of 4x4] so I can't join in the D3 slagging. Sorry :D

Guess I'll just have to be happy with my D3 and my chip then :good::lol::lol:

neither do I but I have pulled my mates brand new range rover out of a field with a 14 year old rust bucket. :lol::hmm::lol::lol::lol:

doc

I don't get the Disco'/Freelander slagging off bit, my FL2 will go anywhere I need it to and some of that land has been pretty awful! I guess mine could get stuck but you'd have to be a bit simple to put it into ground that bad in the first place :rolleyes: I'd love a Discovery but it'd be too expensive, (for me) to run...nice drive though.

Edited by ziplex

Seeing as all the Disco 3 videos are flying around,

here's one from a land rover experience

Disco 3's themselves are really pretty capeable when everything works. As for auto's it'll be absolutely fine off road. Most of the top off road challenge people use auto boxes (granted most are tricked out to lock up in all gears). The driver behind the wheel usually makes the most difference. Just last month I was in a position where we had decided to replace our fourtrak with a newer 4x4, as I'm looking for a 90 for more severe off roading. I considered the D3 the Toureg and the Landcruiser. The disco 3 was nice, but felt cheap inside and quite utilitarian (and it wasn't the poverty spec). I was impressed with the toureg, It felt like a competent vehicle had a low box and they are also reasonable off road. Then we looked at the landcruiser and for me it just felt right, well made, supremelly reliable and a proper off roader, base specs have rear diff lock as well as centre diff lock and higher end ones have full on traction control. I ended up with the 5 door LC5 and am more than happy with it.

The disco 3 fell out of the running because of it's reputation for reliability. I know people who have been fine, but I also know a couple of people who have had nightmares.

best of luck with your decision. and at the end of the day, get what you like the most as it's only you that has to live with it.

not sure I would want an automatic, know its great for general driving but not so good off road,

Mate of mine took a new Range Rover automatic across a wet hilly field and we had to tow him out with th Landy

good luck

doc

just for the record my 90 200tdi auto on bfg muds makes my mates 90 200tdi manual on bfg muds look silly when we go to the pay an play mud pit i seem to be able to put the power down when he just spins the wheels up !!!!

i have a 22k mile 2008 disco 3 2.7TD v6 HSE. was a land rover own car.... I have had for 17 months or so.... have been very happy with it. bought primarily as a "car", but with added bonus of transporting dog wherever, and taking to clay shoots (no real offroading or rough shoot type areas).

have found reliable (famous last words)......

get 27-29 mpg

I have one. Recon its really good. Got Grabber at2's on it and it goes anywhere.

I have had it stuck 2 times once was a dig out with a spade the 2nd was towed out wth a tractor! Both were in stubble fields after weeks of rain at night while lamping so not sure there's many other motors that would of stood a chance (except the tractor!!)

The other benafit is it will happily sit and eat motor way miles at speeds which will put lots of points on your licence! Heated leather seats or aircon blasting its good all round, comfy, good going, and good off road.

Had a couple of runs to deep england with towing trailers round tripped non stop (except fuel).

So impressed with my one I'm looking for a new one with less miles!!!

this is the same situation i have seen 2 get stuck in, and really it is not that muddy, defender would get through that but i think it could have been due to these disco having road tyres on, i am not convinced of thier off road capabilierties but driving on tracks for pigeon shooting should be fine, it will be in the summer anyway

a defender on those tyres wouldn't have gone through with that driver, you don't rev the nuts off you go through steadily with enough torque to try not to let the wheels spin up, low box and traction control will help but that mud would stop most things that were being driven by a numpty like that

A defender on mud terrains will easily go somewhere a D3 on road tyres will get stuck, and vice versa...

I've yet to find somewhere a defender would go that my D3 won't follow. I'm out picking up twice a week during the season plus stalking a couple of times a week plus pigeon shooting so have a bit of personal offroad experience in one (unlike some...). I am TOTALLY convinced by their offroad ability!!! Like I said earlier, tyre and drivers are the weak link in any 4x4 :rolleyes:

Edited by Cushat

A defender on mud terrains will easily go somewhere a D3 on road tyres will get stuck, and vice versa...

I've yet to find somewhere a defender would go that my D3 won't follow. I'm out picking up twice a week during the season plus stalking a couple of times a week plus pigeon shooting so have a bit of personal offroad experience in one (unlike some...). I am TOTALLY convinced by their offroad ability!!! Like I said earlier, tyre and drivers are the weak link in any 4x4 :rolleyes:

Totally agree with you. And the D3 can be driven for great distance in comfort, without bashing your right elbow all the time!!!

I had a 57 plate and it was great. Truly a go pretty much anywhere do pretty much anything motor. The thought of it ever get stuck off-road never entered my mind and on-road I found it very comfy with decent performance and not too bad economy. It was a company car and we can't get them any more but if I ever had to buy another motor a D3 would be top of my list.