THE FOXPERIMENT (not sponsored by sporting gun)

Blackbart

I said i would have a go.......so i have my subject and i have the weapon and now as much as i dislike carving up a fox

The crash test dummy..

post-5683-1265893106.jpg

The tool....A HW77 (very near max power)

post-5683-1265893148.jpg

The missile.....pointy bits of lead.

post-5683-1265893185.jpg

The crash test dummy after taking one in the side of the head @ ten yards.

post-5683-1265893213.jpg

The fox was first shot in the side of the head from ten yards and then it was shot at point blank in the top of the head to simulate shooting one in a cage trap.I have no idea what the outcome is yet but the results will follow after i get the bic,scissors and knife out......

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I applaud your wish to demonstrate your scientific acumen. I am unsure that this will prove or disprove the point. After all the fox is clearly already dead, so whether the ‘missile’ would kill or simply give the small rouge one a blinding headache is rather difficult to tell, unless there is clear penetration of the ‘missile’ into the brain itself and even then it might be debatable. Can we not simple accept that it should be a universally accepted truth that one should not try to kill or dispatch a fox with an air rifle? Having said all that, I, for one,await the out come of your experimentations with baited breath.

Edited by alexr

The first picture shows where i hit the fox and the pellet has penetrated the fur and outer skin.Looking good so far.This is the shot from ten yards in the side of the head to simulate shooting one in the garden/allotment etc,basically anywhere that you would be really close to the fox.

post-5683-1265898659.jpg

The second pic shows the pellets path and as you can see it has made it through outer skin and penetrated the flesh on the outside of the skull.Still looking good.

post-5683-1265898687.jpg

The third pic shows what a lot of people,including myself did not expect to see!! The pellet has punched a hole in the foxes skull and entered the foxes brain :lol:

post-5683-1265898721.jpg

The final pic is just a close up of the previous one to show the damage in more detail.There is a hole in the skull and the pellet is in its brain cavity somewhere,i didnt fancy cutting its skull open to find it.THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN ONE VERY DEAD FOX !

post-5683-1265898784.jpg

Having done that i still would not recommend that anyone shoots a fox with an air rifle,the marjin for error is just to high.It was just a haphazzard experiment to see if it was possible.

Bizzarely the shot from point blank in the top of the head would have killed it but did not enter the brain....It did however knock a lump of skull into the brain cavity and the rather flattened pellet was merely resting on top of the skull fragment.

So there you have it,mythbusters eat your heart out :lol: "You can kill a fox with an air rifle"

Edited by Blackbart

Well done that man :lol:

Nice piece of dissection and I suspect your logic is right. The penetrating injury appears to be far more substantial than I would have expected. If not dead then at least unconscious which ultimately means dead, as a second shot applied at close range to the same area would undoubtedly be fatal.

I am very impressed :lol: