HOW FAR

Highlander

For me a day out can be 300 miles.

Basingstoke -> chichester (morning flight) 60 Miles

Chichester -> Kent (Ruff pheasant duck pigeon) 120 Miles

Kent -> Basingstoke (home again) 120 Miles.

Full day can be 12 - 14 Hours.

Leave home 1.5 hrs before sunrise, back 2 Hrs after sunset.

Morning flight to Chichester 130 miles return

Kent shooting 240 Miles.

Started doing this when I had a company car nad petrol was paid for, but still carry on now as its worth it for the price I pay for the shooting.

Cheers

Trev

:sly: i have got a lot of land five mins down the road from me :thumbs: but i also have land at least an hour away from me, on a good day i can look at 20,000 acres and not see a pigeon, real cost is one day and 250 miles so i tend to stick to shooting on my doorstep,if i ask all the members of my club and thir is 105 of them all will say the some it's not weorth the petrol and one day's travel this is a real problem no one shooting means woodie is free to go any were he wants without being shot at when i joined the cams field shooting club you would get all 125 members out at the weekend shooting so the pigeons would be on the move all day the club iam in know unless they shot 100 pigeon they wont get out of bed so i end up shooting on my own and their are peps on hear that cant get land.iam more than willing to take members of this site shooting i have at least 2500 acres i can shot so if anybody wants some shooting in the cambs/ely aera let me know :shoot:shotgun or riffle.

I pretty regularly do Sevenoaks to Bisley, which i think is about 120 miles round trip.

Its about 80 alround trip to do clays.

Have a syndicate shoot which is about 40 miles away, so again an 80 mile drive,

nothing nearer than about 10 miles away,

although im going door knocking locally this weekend, which is something ive not done.

Hi,

My only shooting permissions are my Gran's back garden and the field which directly backs on to it. Everything is on this patch from 100's of rabbits, squirrels, more corvids and woodies (there is also deer but I don't hunt them with an air rifle :o) than you can shake a stick at and it's all mine. It also helped that we knew the landowner who I only needed to ring to get permission to shoot the first time and he doesn't need to be contacted in advance either.

Good luck door knocking Nick! :thumbs:

FM ;)

P.S The landowner hates the rabbits with a vengance as they are destroying all the land and saplings so he wants them controled at will! :sly::lol:

:lol: for clays i do 200mile round trip to long crendon little missendon alesbury. :sly:

Ahh, but you are driving to one of the best sporting layouts I have shot, so it is worth it. Luckily that one isn't too far from me :o

I drive past several local pubs (and trout fisheries for that matter) to get to a better one, so closest isn't always best :thumbs:

I walk 50 yards down the bottom of my garden, through the gate and have about 500 acres at my disposal, full of rabbits & pigeons. :thumbs:

I've even built a deck over looking the fields, with a built in fridge (full of beer) where i can do most of my recce's from, checking flightlines and times they're feeding.

Lucky *** aint I! :sly::lol:

, the beer may ****e up there but the scenery and the sport is second to none   :lol:

Your drinking the wrong stuff lauddy! try a wee hauff next time your up, that'll pit hairs on yer chist.

(take yer askit pooders wi yeh)

I tried Shillings (?) or similar, and that was rank, the lager is even worse, so I tend to have a pint or of Guinness or 3 after a hard day on the hills. I cannot dink Scotch, the smell makes me want to throw before I even get it to my lips, which is a crying shame as stalking/fishing/scotch are all so closely linked :lol:

I will keep trying though as I have heard it takes some folks a fair while to acquire the taste...

Edited by stuartp