chickens

christy

Our (3) chickens have the normal pellets and sometimes mash. But plenty of scraps throughout the day. Is there anything they won't eat? Cornflakes, rice, tomato, cucumber, any and every type of fruit, beef madras, toads, special k, porridge, ham, sliced beef, sweetcorn, ice cream, any and every insect in their path, the list is endless.

Tell you what they defo won't eat-potato peelings, no-no-no they would sooner go to rehab.

What about yours, what are their peculiar likes 'n dislikes? They are certainly characters :rolleyes:

One laid an egg as big as a tennis ball yesterday. :hmm:

Our (3) chickens have the normal pellets and sometimes mash. But plenty of scraps throughout the day. Is there anything they won't eat? Cornflakes, rice, tomato, cucumber, any and every type of fruit, beef madras, toads, special k, porridge, ham, sliced beef, sweetcorn, ice cream, any and every insect in their path, the list is endless.

Tell you what they defo won't eat-potato peelings, no-no-no they would sooner go to rehab.

What about yours, what are their peculiar likes 'n dislikes? They are certainly characters :rolleyes:

One laid an egg as big as a tennis ball yesterday. :hmm:

poil the spud peelings then chuck them in the oven for 30mins they will love them...

Years and years ago we kept chicken's - got our very first lot from a factory farm - took them out of box and put them in a big wire enclosure - for some reason we put them in a line - they stayed like that for hours before they twigged they could move - took em a few day's to get hang of scratching around to. - never got hang of neckin em though - had to get old boy next door and he made it look easy.

Dave

Mine go mad for pasta, especially spaghetti. If you have an allotment, then you can basically feed them anything you want from there, even stuff thats gone to seed.

Good fun to have around the garden aswell but the poo everywhere, great for the garden but not so great for your carpet :rolleyes:

We kept hens when I was a youngster, and I remember my mum boiling up all the scraps (especially potato peelings) from ours and the neighbours' kitchens - the neighbours got a few eggs in eggschange.

The smell from the boiling was pretty fowl

:good:

Edited by amateur

. Did you guys buy your coops or make them. If you made them would you know where to get some decent coop plans from?

This is the coop I made from scratch. And yes that is an electric door opener on a timer powered by a solar cell! (I dont like getting up in the morning to let them out!)

hen2.jpg

hen1.jpg

hello gents

Just jumping in on this topice. I shall be taking over my new allotment in a few days and shall be keeping chickens on there. Did you guys buy your coops or make them. If you made them would you know where to get some decent coop plans from?

Try this link matey. looks like you'll get all the info you want there

!!http://www.wikihow.com/Special:GoogSearch?cx=016562026678751929112%3Aohfdgqnedms&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=how+to+make+a+chicken+coop&siteurl=www.wikihow.com%2FTreat-a-Foot-Blister#1139

BB. :good:

gulp...i've been feeding mine scraps of chicken for years, why can't you feed them that?

No real reason, I'm just not happy about feeding them any Bird Meat.

Fella I know feeds his everything - including Chicken Curry!!!

V8Landy - that is seriously awesome. I've modified my purchased coop, but not with the electrics.....you've got me thinking now......

gulp...i've been feeding mine scraps of chicken for years, why can't you feed them that?

Its called canibalism so morally wrong.Just remember though-you're eating them eggs.

Scraps wise-anything which isnt meat based.Spaghetti is a firm favourite and is also good for entertainment value cos they go nuts for it.

Where did you get the bits from?

Steady on mate. Think it through. You only need a fox with a miner's lamp and the chooks are in deep schite! :good:

The door is opened and closed via a car electric aerial, they have built in stop positions. A 12 v electric timer controls the open and close times.

It is all powered by a 12v car battery which is kept charged up by the solar cell.

The house is very solid, so unless Mr Fox and reprogram the timer, once the Girls are in they are in!