Good day on the maize

proTOM1

But it could of been a red letter day :devil: I have been watching a strip of game cover that has had half chopped for a few days ,there is loads of birds around at the moment so checked wind for today NE nice will be ok . So up at 730am and at the field for just after 8am to be met with fog but that was not to bad but the wind what there was SE not the best .

Well got set up hide in the unchopped maize rotary out the front with to groups of 7 decoys on each side .The first hour was mad with birds coming from everywhere but mainly from behind over the hide and straight in making for some nice shooting and great missing :good: It slowed down and i changed the pattern to a straight line facing away from the hide around 40yards out with the rotary halfway along the line but another 5 yards out .The birds kept coming and things were looking good as by 1130am i had 63 down then just after 12.00 a tractor pulled in to the field the other side of the maize which is wheat stubble and was ready to start ploughing ,it was not going to be safe to carry on shooting so packed up .

Was a shame as the birds were still coming and in 2s 3s and 4s only had 1 big lot in around 300 and yes missed the lot ,anyway still plenty about .

Final tally was 75 woodies 2ferals and a jackdoor with around 4 lost in the wood behind so a good day :yes::good:

post-12734-1266511843.jpg

Edited by proTOM1

But it could of been a red letter day :yes: I have been watching a strip of game cover that has had half chopped for a few days ,there is loads of birds around at the moment so checked wind for today NE nice will be ok . So up at 730am and at the field for just after 8am to be met with fog but that was not to bad but the wind what there was SE not the best .

Well got set up hide in the unchopped maize rotary out the front with to groups of 7 decoys on each side .The first hour was mad with birds coming from everywhere but mainly from behind over the hide and straight in making for some nice shooting and great missing :devil: It slowed down and i changed the pattern to a straight line facing away from the hide around 40yards out with the rotary halfway along the line but another 5 yards out .The birds kept coming and things were looking good as by 1130am i had 63 down then just after 12.00 a tractor pulled in to the field the other side of the maize which is wheat stubble and was ready to start ploughing ,it was not going to be safe to carry on shooting so packed up .

Was a shame as the birds were still coming and in 2s 3s and 4s only had 1 big lot in around 300 and yes missed the lot ,anyway still plenty about .

Final tally was 75 woodies 2ferals and a jackdoor with around 4 lost in the wood behind so a good day :yes::good:

Good day m8 :good: