223 question - foxing round

I have no idea about centre fires at all but am curious about a .223 !

Is there such a thing as a standard load for a foxing set up in .223 ? If so what is it and whats it cost to reload at ?

Also am I right in saying that .223 is to much gun and expense to viable for bunnys to (Head shooting) ?

I have a HMR and .22lr and would swap one of these due to low funds if things go they way I want.

Sorry if these are dump questions but I have no idea about CF .

Cheers :rolleyes:

basically depending whether you reload but if you don't cost ranges from 50p a shot to well over £1

If you try one you will appreciate you wouldn't want to fire that many rounds in one sitting so relaly that excludes it as a bunny gun. Though people will say there is no such thing as too much gun but really its a bit like using a sledgehammer on a rabbit. Great for occasional long range vermin and foxes and muntjac deer etc but not a bunny gun for me.

basically depending whether you reload but if you don't cost ranges from 50p a shot to well over £1

If you try one you will appreciate you wouldn't want to fire that many rounds in one sitting so relaly that excludes it as a bunny gun. Though people will say there is no such thing as too much gun but really its a bit like using a sledgehammer on a rabbit. Great for occasional long range vermin and foxes and muntjac deer etc but not a bunny gun for me.

I agree - you wouldnt or should that be couldnt? EAT a rabbit after its meeting with a 223 round :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Les :angry:

If you are good enough you can head shoot a bunny with a .223, and if you use SP's you could probably eat what was left.

But from my own experience stick with the HMR or LR.

They are much quieter, so bugs' cousins do not tend to run, and they are cheaper to feed.

HTH

Cooter :rolleyes:

I have no idea about centre fires at all but am curious about a .223 !

Is there such a thing as a standard load for a foxing set up in .223 ? If so what is it and whats it cost to reload at ?

Also am I right in saying that .223 is to much gun and expense to viable for bunnys to (Head shooting) ?

I have a HMR and .22lr and would swap one of these due to low funds if things go they way I want.

Sorry if these are dump questions but I have no idea about CF .

Cheers :rolleyes:

223 is a good choice for a foxing cal even though i use a 22.250 :rolleyes:

223 is a bit OTT for a nights bunny bashing but i have gone out (day's) and done a bit of long range bunny bashing head shots are possible at over 200yards with plenty of practice and some good consistant rounds (home loads)

If you are doing a one for one on your ticket out of the 2 rifles you have i would choose to get rid of the HMR, reason being you will have a good quiet rifle for rabbits out to 90yards, :angry:

My plan is to keep a rimmy for the bunnys but am curious about a .223 for fox ! But had asked about a .223 on a bunny so i could find out what a .223 round would do to a bunny.

So .223 for fox only, what round setup ( bullet, case, primer and powder) would you recomend and what sort of cost would it cost me to reload ?

Iv herd a varmint grenade bullet mentioned on here to be be good if memory serves me right.

My plan is to keep a rimmy for the bunnys but am curious about a .223 for fox ! But had asked about a .223 on a bunny so i could find out what a .223 round would do to a bunny.

So .223 for fox only, what round setup ( bullet, case, primer and powder) would you recomend and what sort of cost would it cost me to reload ?

Iv herd a varmint grenade bullet mentioned on here to be be good if memory serves me right.

I'm just looking for my picture to show you what a .223 can do to a bunny, and yes they are potentially some very good foxing rounds which can be VERY accurate for the .223!

Price wise .223 can be relatively cost effective in these days of silly priced ammo....

FOR EXAMPLE...I have 500 rounds of Wolf .223 55g HP Boat tail (boxer) available for £100 TOTAL (YES..20p EACH) Still Factory sealed! Collection only and the right paperwork obviously..PM me if you are interested!!

I'll be back with the picture in a while!!

Steaming little puddles of gubbins is what you get with a varmint grenade - just do a search on youtube. They make them from 30 to 64 grain so cover a good spread of barrels.

Like the chaps said, it is a little OTT but the heavier bullets can go a long way accurately and you are almost assured of a clean kill on bunnies.

Reloading can cost anywhere from 30p upward, depending mostly on the bullet. Sierra Match King (target round) are about £28/100 just for the bullets so a load is about 50p all in - but that is a fairly price bullet which will work out to 500-600yds.

You'll need to settle on a barrel twist rate too, that will dictate the weight ranges of bullets it will digest well. Rule of thumb, the tighter the heavier. 1:9 twist will work well with 50-70grn.

Edited by Milligan

That is cheap...

My missus say's more like tight assed. :angry: :wacko:

I have been told that the Dog Town are Remmington, but they group very well so I don't care who makes them.

Hornady 55grn SP are only 14.3p each, and they run the same charge just as accurately.

All depends what bullet you use. Yes you can use the cheaper stuff, and yes it works, if you want to start to push the calibre you'll need to be looking at Blitzkings, Ballistic tips or v-max. All are expensive, all are accurate, all have a higher BC than the dogtown stuff. They're also explosive - can be the case that you aren't picking up a rabbit, but several pieces.

HOWEVER. You can use a 223 as a bunny gun - regularly do so, and if you are clearing for vermin control it's very humane and effective. If you're eating them, then the centre of the head does the job - neatly decapitated without meat damage.