Smallest Bore for clays&Pigeons

zorro

What is the smallest bore shotty you could realistically use for hitting clays and some pigeons. The misses wants to have a go but she isnt too strong and would struggle with a 12 or even a 20. Is possible to use a 28B?

What do people use .410s for?

What is the smallest bore shotty you could realistically use for hitting clays and some pigeons. The misses wants to have a go but she isnt too strong and would struggle with a 12 or even a 20. Is possible to use a 28B?

if you get the pigeons in at 25-30 yards a 410 does the trick i shoot rabits at 30yards with my mates 410 no problemo.. the little carts are getting a bit pricy though.

Without getting silly they are all capable.

Problem is, you have to be more and more accurate as the calibre gets smaller, in simple terms if you aim in the general direction of the Northern Hemisphere with a 12g you have a realistic expectation of hitting something, even if it is only with 1 lump of lead, if you use anything much lighter you have to be FAR more accurate.

There is maths at work here as well of course and I am over simplifying it, but I have a pal who uses 20g for everything and he can knock spots of me with clays and in the field, whilst I use the 12g.

Far be it for me to say he is better than me...but it's something like that!! :angry:

PS

I understand in the 410 World Championships, clays go down at ridiculously long distances, I know not everyone is that good, but that all forms part of the answer!!

Edited by Dekers

I use a 28 bore and it is great fun.

After being told on a rough shoot "You can't hit them with a 12, why have you bought one of them?" I then went on to shoot 1/2 the bag on my own. There is no reason why they shouldn't be as effective as a 12 as they use the same shot at the same velocity and as long as the choking is correct the pattern will be similar.

I haven't used it decoying yet but its time will come.

A .410 is ok for pigeons if you deek them in to 30 yrds ok for clays too me and my daughter just shot 100 this afto with it. But........ Expensive to feed and even my daughter can shoot the 12 bore ok and I'll be taking that out more with her as it's half the price to shoot !

Hooray for the 20 bore . They are great guns comfortable to shoot and effective on clays and game Carts are a bit pricey!!We both use Gamebore steels for clays to keep the price down (no more than 1/2 choke) My wife has a lincoln premier gold which is very nice , Reasonably priced and available in a choice of standard or short stock for Ladies or Juniors .. Yes do have to be a bit more accurate but we are working on that with a lot of help..Real fan of the 20 bore!!! :good::P

Guest cookoff013
I use a 28 bore and it is great fun.

After being told on a rough shoot "You can't hit them with a 12, why have you bought one of them?" I then went on to shoot 1/2 the bag on my own. There is no reason why they shouldn't be as effective as a 12 as they use the same shot at the same velocity and as long as the choking is correct the pattern will be similar.

I haven't used it decoying yet but its time will come.

+1

amazing how many people think a 12bore has magical properties, when, that the pellets have the same ballistics as a 12. just the pattern changes.

Guest cookoff013
Hooray for the 20 bore . They are great guns comfortable to shoot and effective on clays and game Carts are a bit pricey!!We both use Gamebore steels for clays to keep the price down (no more than 1/2 choke) My wife has a lincoln premier gold which is very nice , Reasonably priced and available in a choice of standard or short stock for Ladies or Juniors .. Yes do have to be a bit more accurate but we are working on that with a lot of help..Real fan of the 20 bore!!! :good::P

the 20 is more than enough for this country, with the new technologies in shotshells, even wildfowling is an option with a 20.

nickel tungsten and hevishot is the way forward in non toxic. (subgauge only)