best mud tyre for on road

darren m

ok - i,m think on some farm / fields etc tracks etc AT's work great but on others a bit more grip is needed . i have BFG on front and Courser AT's on back both v.good , in fact the mastercraft courses are brill , it just depends how much sticky mud stays in the tread on wheel rotation .

Are there any mud tyres that actually perform grip wise pretty good on the road <_<

I've a set of BFG trac edge which aren't produced any more but seem to fit in between muds and AT's and are pretty good on and off road. You can get a copy of the pattern still though usually on one of the remould offerings. Might be worth a try if you're looking at them otherwise I'd say you're best bet may be General Grabber AT2's if you're after a new tyre

ive found the bfg muds on my 90 to be very hard wearing done just over 15000 miles now and still look like new. a few slashes cuts though. not as noisy as other muds my mates insa turbo same tread pattern real noisy and worn out real quick but then ya gets what ya pays for

Another vote for BFG mud terrain .

They are the dogs offroad and although are not ment for motorway cruising they can handle it without deafening you .

They are also realy hard wearing and last loads longer than any other tyre which means it worth the extra outlay

• 2 weeks later...
I've a set of BFG trac edge which aren't produced any more but seem to fit in between muds and AT's and are pretty good on and off road. You can get a copy of the pattern still though usually on one of the remould offerings. Might be worth a try if you're looking at them otherwise I'd say you're best bet may be General Grabber AT2's if you're after a new tyre

i believe they are called the traction trac and that insa turbo produce them. The trac edge was a very good pattern as al4x says.

BFGs are good. I have Kumho KL71s on my Defender and they (in my opinion) stick better on the road, but you pay for that in wear.

You wont get good wear and good road traction from the same tyre. Soft compound seems to stick better in the wet (I guess because it moulds to the road better?) but that moulding wears bits off faster!

Strike up another thumbs up for BFG MTs. :rolleyes:

Although I'm running Hankook MTs on the 90 and they are OK. Nowhere near as hard wearing though, but good in the mud. I can't tell you about performance at speed as it's an '88 90 so doesn't believe in it. Performance or speed

I have bfgoodrich all terrian AT's, and on or off road they perform brilliant even at high speed. :angry:

I have to say I ran BFG AT's on my L200 and they were fantastic. No problems in the mud, including wet clay, the only problem they has was climbing out of deep ruts with using waffle boards. As far as on road, they gave me much better grip that the Bridgestone HT's it came with. They never did wear out at after they had been on for about 60,000 some sweet kind person stole the truck !! :angry: but there was plenty of tread left.

I have replaced it with Disco 2 but can't get BFG's in 255/55 x 18 so will have to go for General Grabbers.

Bronco Diamonds, it's what a lot of triallers run. Absolutely cr^p on road (especially at 5psi), you'll kill yourself at 10mph on a wet roundabout, they wear out in about 5 miles on tarmac BUT, if you have the power to spin them off road nothings going to stop you.

I used to put a new set on about every 5 or 6 trials as the knobbles fly off, but grip, they get anywhere, even out of ruts. You will need a lot of umph to make them work.

Not exactly what you want but I thought I'd tell you anyway :angry: