Rumbling pipes

dazza

Over the past few mornings and nights when I flush the toilet there is a rumbling like a palne taking off in the loft. This is happening 2 or 3 minutes after the cistern fills. It's so loud you can feel the floor vibrating. Any ideas? My mate says the radiators need bled but he is known for being full of ****.

why would he think its your heating pipes if it does it when you flush the bog <_<

this one is most likely to be the ball valve sticking a bit as it shuts probably due to limescale. Take the top off flush it and see if you can stop it by manually closing it etc. If not then check the cold water tank ball valve, though if it is a while after the toilets finished filling it is probably the cold tank one at fault

Edited by al4x

Would something like that make so much noise? It's like a ******* train passing overhead. Is it dangerous i.e need fixing immediately? The football is on tonight and the other half doen't like going up into the loft.

That used to happen in my parents house but not when you flushed the toilet.

Most evenings it would sound like a train going through the roof and it was something to do with the heating pipes getting too hot

It will be noisy as the loft space will amplify the acoustic effect somewhat. It's not a problem which needs immediate attention if you can stand the noise. But sorting it sooner rather than later would be of benefit as the vibrations caused through the water system may loosen up old pipe joints etc over time. try adjusting the water pressure down at the stopcock to lessen the effect until a repair can be made

Its called water hammer and can be caused by a number of reasons. The main ones being a mains pipe needing secured, a tap or ballvalve washer worn, it sounds as if it is the ballvalve on the feed tank in your attic, get the washer replaced, and if you have very high water pressure which cannot be reduced try fitting a larger ball on the ballvalve.

Blackpowder

More than likely you just need a new washer in the ballcock in the tank in the loft, if that's where the noise is coming from (or the toilet if the noise comes from the toilet sistern).

I needed both, Magman fixed them, because I'm thick and he's a top geezer :P

I couldn't believe how loud it was either <_<

:P

Edited by Chard

This used to happen at my old house , nothing would stop it. Then by accident i happend upon a lad with local knowledge and he advised me that the water pressure in the area had always been very high.He suggested a pressure reducing valve on the water inlet pipe. Instant solution. from Auntie :good::D

Dazza,

It could be many things that are wrong, though is usually caused by dodgey valves stopping fast moving water- The most obvious would be to check you're float operated valve's in the toilet Wc and in the attic tank.

If they are working fine, then it it could be a washing machine or a dishwasher that is causing a shockwave through the pipework.

But I would call a plumber in to have a look :good:

Its called water hammer and can be caused by a number of reasons. The main ones being a mains pipe needing secured, a tap or ballvalve washer worn, it sounds as if it is the ballvalve on the feed tank in your attic, get the washer replaced, and if you have very high water pressure which cannot be reduced try fitting a larger ball on the ballvalve.

Blackpowder

Larger ball on the ball valve? Larger ball valve?