The end of Cherry ?

Slug

I can't keep up with all the posts on here, so may have been posted.

I hear Cherry is going, all going to be white Diesel Farmer Giles and the Plant guys will have to claim the duty back..What you heard ?

That the Diesel motor-cruiser up for sale.. :hmm:

This was on the cards at one time, as the duty was to be increased to the same as "white" but after a lot of investigating for the boats it was decided that it would be hard to police as the red would still be visible for years in some cases unless the whole system was replaced, in the end it was decided to stay "red" and boaters have to prove that the red is used for heating boats only, again hard to prove so they have done a 60/40 split, the 40% being for heating, so when we top up we have to give our details so they can do a spot check if they wanted to.

Seems like the obvious thing to do really doesn't it? Only problem I can see is mr farmer could then run his car on the farm diesel and just pretend his tractor is a little less economical than it really is? Who's to know how many laps of the field he's done? These big modern tractors drink enough fuel in a day to run a car for a month!

For that reason I think it's a great idea!

This was on the cards at one time, as the duty was to be increased to the same as "white" but after a lot of investigating for the boats it was decided that it would be hard to police as the red would still be visible for years in some cases unless the whole system was replaced, in the end it was decided to stay "red" and boaters have to prove that the red is used for heating boats only, again hard to prove so they have done a 60/40 split, the 40% being for heating, so when we top up we have to give our details so they can do a spot check if they wanted to.

boat heaters take fuel from the same tank as the engines so how do they expect you to just use it on the heating :o

Seems like the obvious thing to do really doesn't it? Only problem I can see is mr farmer could then run his car on the farm diesel and just pretend his tractor is a little less economical than it really is? Who's to know how many laps of the field he's done? These big modern tractors drink enough fuel in a day to run a car for a month!

For that reason I think it's a great idea!

I also think it great many happy cheaper miles in the defender now yipeeeeeeeee

OTH

Edited by Over the hill

if they stop making red diesel it would be like christmas come early for the jipos. there would,nt be a piece of plant or farm machinery safe.

its bad enough now with red diesel getting nicked. but think what it would be like if every tractor,digger,dozzer or combine was sat about full of white diesel.

Many years ago (in a different lifetime)

we used to have in our chemical warfare kits

some 'Fullers Earth' as an absorbent compound.

I did an 'experiment' in 1989 and used it to remove the red dye from the diesel.

It works!!

The molecules of the dye cling to the Fullers Earth and sink to the bottom, leaving the diesel white!!

I did an 'experiment' in 1989 and used it to remove the red dye from the diesel.

It works!!

The molecules of the dye cling to the Fullers Earth and sink to the bottom, leaving the diesel white!!

Red dye isn't the only chemical added it is just for a visual inspection there are others in it that show up on emission tests which they do with portable tests now not just the old dip test.

Edited by -oXo-

It works!!

Cat litter, works a treat as long as you filter the diesel before it goes in your tank.

Red dye isn't the only chemical added it is just for a visual inspection there are others in it that show up on emission tests which they do with portable tests now not just the old dip test.

Coppers he ? you just cant trust the sneaky little devils,first its unmarked cars now hidden chemicals whatever next :angry:

My old landy had a long range fuel tank under the passenger seat.

You know where this is going.....

So I left a few gallon of white in the regular tank.

And used to use 'racing red' in the 'hidden' tank.

The dvla/tunnel police in liverpool used to look out for the staining that diesel causes on bodywork in order to pull vehicles over