Viszla it is................

Evil Elvis

:hmm: Well after long deliberations and not being able to get a coondog over here in the Uk we are getting what is hopefully going to be a more managable beastie lol. I have always liked Viszlas but when i wanted one 12 years ago there werent any about so settled for an english pointer, which are great but point at a birds but dont retrieve it, hopefully the vizla will do both!!!

Pictures to Follow!!! :good:

:rolleyes: Well after long deliberations and not being able to get a coondog over here in the Uk we are getting what is hopefully going to be a more managable beastie lol. I have always liked Viszlas but when i wanted one 12 years ago there werent any about so settled for an english pointer, which are great but point at a birds but dont retrieve it, hopefully the vizla will do both!!!

Pictures to Follow!!! :sly:

I'd get her into retrieving early with plenty of praise, I assumed my GSP would be a natural retriever but she's not....she'll point and hunt all day long but gets bored very quickly on retrieves. I guess she'd me more adept at it had I got her going early on :/

:/ Thanks for the tip!!! Shes chasing a ball around in the lounge tonight!! SOOOO LAID BACK...WONDER HOW LONG THAT WILL LAST? :lol:

Send a PM to NTTF, he tried to help when I had problems with Bree....he knows his stuff as i'm sure you're aware. If I remember right he put her lack of keeness to retrieve on not instilling it into her at an earlier age than I did. If I could go back i'd take advice from someone like him and do things different. Bree did come from bloodlines heavily lent towards hunting though so it might of been difficult anyhow :rolleyes:

Best of luck, i'm sure she'll be a cracking dog :sly:

Be careful mate, the key to retrieving at a young age I believe is getting the dog to come back to you, this is why it's often recommended to start doing it at home down the hallway.

My GSP will retrieve things in the lounge over and over but when out in the field loses interest in a dummy very quickly. I am led to believe that retrieving is very fragile in GSPs (don't know about HVs). Mine will be mad for it if another dog is around (must spark some competition).

No such problems under the few circumstances he has been exposed to the real thing mind.

He was about 8 months old but I think we started a bit late. I will enquire when I go next mate. You might want to come along some time (it sometimes corresponds with the Leaden Roding shoot and is like 5 minutes down the road) - even w/o the dog to begin with.

I still don't really know what I'm doing but I do know a lot of the things I did wrong and would change next time. I would like to impart as much of that on you and your new girl as possible. Heck, if we can get your girl in to shape I may even get another HPR of my own :o

I did not do any retrieving with my GWP as a puppy. He is not interested in dummys unless they have a skin on them but he is fantastic with the real thing cold, warm or alive he will bring it all back. I also have never played tug of war with him as this can make them very hard mouthed. My boy is very gentle with game and on 2 occasions when he has caught live game he gave them to me uninjured. I am told this is quite good for a GWP dog.

Have fun with the puppy and remember is is just a puppy and don't rush into any proper training.

Good Luck

Harry

:o Thanks Harry!!

I still don't really know what I'm doing but I do know a lot of the things I did wrong and would change next time. I would like to impart as much of that on you and your new girl as possible. Heck, if we can get your girl in to shape I may even get another HPR of my own

Sounds good to me!!! :o

How old did you start taking zeus to classes dude? I will be up for some hpr classes for sure when shes old enough!!!!

If it's the classes run as part of the GSP Club (Dave Pilkington?) they can normally go as soon as you like - at least at ours - the North West Group - they can. I take mine as soon as they have had their second injection (they are carried there before if it fits in), and they are retrieving to hand by then

as it is so easy to practice that in the house. Once it becomes the natural thing to do there, the behaviour just carries on outside - at least it does with my Munsterlanders anyway
:good: Edited by Pidge