is there anything you choose not to shoot?

pegleg31

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wont shoot and I know most of you will disagree with this but its my gun so its my choice. I know they are vermin and basically ruin people lives but I feel they get a very unfair deal. But I have a mental list which I feel is just general non shooting quarry no matter how many lists they are on or how much fun or sport it is I will not shoot Traffic wardens :lol:

I have been tempted many, many times and the cross hairs have settled nicley on the target but I just cant pull the trigger I guess Im a big softie really :D

If you are right about gamekeepers taking only weak ones then go for it.

But from what I have seen, someone goes out into Africa, finds any old elephant/lion etc and shoots it. This can't be right, as they are endagered species, unlike deer over here.

Red Kites can be classed as a pest, but they are protected and quite rightly so.

Lions are endangered, so should be protected too.

Sorry but Lions aren't endangered although numbers are going down in some areas and elephants need to be controlled as they do huge amounts of damage, just look at what has happened in parts of the Okavango Delta.

Got to agree with Wesman here. I recently got back from visiting my cousin in Malawi having been on safari in Zambia and the populations of Lion and Elephant are certainly strong in these regions. We were shown huge areas that used to be forest that are now just savannah with tree stumps due to the elephants. If someone wants to spend the money then great, it usually goes to the local people. The only problem comes when everyone goes for the HUGE bull elephants so effectively you end up with natural selection meaning the smallest are the most likely to survive (not get shot) so the population becomes small (in stature, not numbers). Most of the elephants in South Luanga National Park are munchkins (although I still got out of the way when they came through camp) because of this.

I was in south luanagwa in february on safari and elephents and lions were about in large numbers. I got a great book whilst out there called 'Wild Life' and is a book about the valley and the famous people in it. Whilst talking to the guide about elephants when i was out there it turns out there was 100,000 in the 1970s and as they were devastating the park they were, partly through poaching admittedly but mainly through a cull down to 40,000 with some local people involved in the cull taking over a thousand elephants :lol: my guides farther was part of the cull no to witness that must have been something different.

George

correct mate they pulled them from the list about 15 years ago clubs have tried to get them back on the list but with no success .jersey the next island across the water have also got a worse law then us it is strickley prohibited to shoot ANY birds .you want to see how many phesants are on that island

Blimey you would have thought that nearly being French you'd have been able to shoot and eat anything that moves

Hmm, just reminded me of the other animal I NEVER see in Normandy... pheasants.

No idea why though... maybe old Pierre likes a bit more challenge, after hunting wild boar I guess I could kind of see pheasants as a bit disappointing.

Even if it was free it's simply disgusting. I, and I believe most of us here, shoot to control pests and for the pot - or the odd farmed pheasant as a sporting source of meat - to help songbirds and protect crops.

Shooting a Lion or Elephant etc is just a trophy kill to account for small manhood.

I would love to do big game hunting,and my cock is absolutely gi ******* normous, :hmm: , so that blows your made up keech right out of the window.The hunting of this game is the reason why they are thriving now,as the revenue taken in makes sure the authorities try to keep the poachers activities at a minimum.In the majority of places where it is legal,the numbers are very healthy and as here with our own game,control is needed.

Edited by sako751sg

Why do people say that Hares have a hard time? Probably regret asking this.

As for not many around, they don't make their presence obvious like rabbits do.

No reason for you to regret asking a perfectly reasonable question. Their numbers tend to suffer more as they don't live below ground so they are more exposed to predation and adverse weather.

I'd disagree with that they don't make their prescence obvious, they tend to be (in my experience) less shy than rabbits. They don't live together or underground like rabbits but this time of year will often be seen in small groups as they're trying to get their leg over.

On most of the farms I shoot, Hares are present but not in anywhere near the numbers that rabbits are.

...oh and when you see two boxing, it's apparently unlikely (as often thought) to be two males, the one doing the punching is likely to be the female fending off the over amorous attentions of a male.... in that sense they're much like rabbits in that it's the female's that wear the trousers so to speak.