is there anything you choose not to shoot?

pegleg31

me personally i don't shoot hare's,i don't eat them and can't be bothered to drag them round.i don't shoot snipe as i can't see the point from the size of them and i don't shoot stoat's as i admire how tough they are.

this is just my personal views and i have no problem at all with anyone else shooting these,i was just wondering if anyone else chooses not to shoot something?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

me personally i don't shoot hare's,i don't eat them and can't be bothered to drag them round.i don't shoot snipe as i can't see the point from the size of them and i don't shoot stoat's as i admire how tough they are.

this is just my personal views and i have no problem at all with anyone else shooting these,i was just wondering if anyone else chooses not to shoot something?

I dont shoot Clays, birds, and blanks! :good:

I avoid certain magpies, pigeons, crows, jackdaws, rooks, rabbits, fox and jays.

I often fire a shot towards them anyway, and swear when as the pattern passes harmlessly by, but I can promise you I was letting it go to live its life :good:

1. woodcock and snipe - first time I ever shot at woodcock I got lucky and got a left and right. When they were lying on the floor after they reminded me of wrens with big beaks. Never again, no point. I would rather save the shells for magpies.

2. hares - they have a hard enough time and I don't classify them as vermin or game. There are always a million other rabbits on my permission that I can shoot.

3. anything not on the general license - I won't go into any details but the idea of shooting a song bird for example either deliberately or by mistake makes me both angry and upset without trying to sound too gay. I think the songbird population has a very difficult time with the massive increase in cats, magpies and squirrels. I do all that I can to support songbirds. It's strange but growing up, I remember long summers and the trees and hedges stuffed with songbirds. Not now though. I would actually join the RSPB if they could get their heads out of their backsides and be realistic in supporting and sanctioning a cull of squirrels and magpies and the like. However, I digress......

Good topic posted. Makes you give a little thought to where and why your "lines" are drawn where they are.

Edited by Mungler

Woodcock and Snipe for me they are so small offering sod all to eat! pointless targets, Im not that keen on hare shooting either I shoot the odd one for the farmer but I dont personally like them as meat, they are about in small numbers on the land I shoot but not enough to do any harm.

Alan

Edited by Alanl50

Dont shoot woodcock or snipe. never see jays but wouldn't shoot one. dont shoot hares as they seem a bit to sentient? allthough i see tons of them. wouldn't shoot a weasel or stoat as they're just getting on with there lives, same as i wouldn't shoot a fox unless it was actively causing harm.

is there anythhing you choose not to shoot?

Partridge on two sites, not shot them there for 3 or 4 years now.

I'm hoping if I keep up the work on the foxes their numbers will increase, but it's slow progress.

The majority of what I do is Pest Control, so the only constraints are those set by landowners, if it's Sport I take what I can handle or have a requirement for!

Edited by Dekers

Very rarely shoot hares and only for the pot, never shoot magpies.

Most places that I shoot have their own requests which are always obeyed.

If I may ask, why no to the Magpies? They are strong in numbers, top of the food chain and thriving at the cost of all birds below them in the food chain.

If I may ask, why no to the Magpies? They are strong in numbers, top of the food chain and thriving at the cost of all birds below them in the food chain.

They are the one bird that always needs to die. Never an excuse for these killers to be left!!!!

wots the point in have ya gun if ya not ging to shoot out seems point less to me like

No one is talking about not shooting 'out' by which I presume you mean 'anything.'

There is however a certain responsibility some people with guns feel, that not everything has to be shot, and its up to us to choose what needs culling and what needs protecting. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. :good: