good shooting truck with good mpg

leadbreakfast

i am looking for the same should be starting a new job in the next few weeks and will be doing 30 min each way the good old frontera sport drinks fuel there and back so far the best i have seen are x trails and freelanders but with the freelanders i am sure i read somewhere your better getting a 02 plate or above due to to many before this age with many problems

300TDI Discovery, I've had a couple of them and got around 30 - 35 mpg out of them one having 260k on the clock too, not bad on fuel, comfy on and off road, cheap and readily available parts, easy to work on, brilliant off road with the right boots on.

Couple of bad points though ... rusty boot floors, rust on the rear wheel arches (5 door), rust on the rear cross members and rear body mounts, leaky sunroofs and alpine windows.

All that said, if you are handy with a spanner and a welder they are easily sorted.

Y :good::good:

well i had an 05 plate D40, mpg adv 33(good),long service intervals 17000 miles(good),but it was the most unreliable thing Ive ever driven,under warranty it had new clutch,ecu,central locking,remote diff switch and various recals,out of warranty,2 half shafts,another remote diff switch and then to top it all off,with a full main dealer service history, the cylinder head cracked,all before 60K,i spoke to the dealer with a question because the heater wasn't working and he simply replied "yeah your head gaskets gone or the heads cracked"in th esame tone as if he'd put in a car freshner and not charged me for it,and after some digging on the net ,cylinder head problems are very common,but if you speak to cus services like I tried,they have never had one let go,not what the dealers machinic said though.the quote was £4500 plus if the head was cracked,needless to say I lost my shirt.

oh yeah and i've had to dig myself out of a slightly muddy fields twice,no lock diff so one wheel keeps spinning even if you got grip on 3.

Edited by retromlc

does anybody know how much it is to get a 4x4 converted to lpg and can you do it to any age engine

don't bother, £1500 for the conversion and really what are you going to convert? if you want a V8 discovery or Range rover then you'll have a motor with the same running costs of the diesel equivalent but will have shelled out £1500, buy a ready converted one and believe me engine problems are far from uncommon hence you can't buy them factory converted anymore.

500 miles a week in a 4x4 is going to require deep pockets, the best options are the smaller diesel 4x4's like the freelander and xtrail, both will give you real world 35-40mpg. Forget a fourtrak it'll be uncomfortable for that mileage they are rather slow and economy will be somewhere 25-30 at the very best. Everyone else seems to get 30mpg but don't think I ever did. I've an L200 at the moment which you could do that mileage in happily as its comfy on motorway and back road and your £70 will get you 400 miles or so.

Edited by al4x

500 miles a week in a 4x4 is going to require deep pockets, the best options are the smaller diesel 4x4's like the freelander and xtrail, both will give you real world 35-40mpg. Forget a fourtrak it'll be uncomfortable for that mileage they are rather slow and economy will be somewhere 25-30 at the very best. Everyone else seems to get 30mpg but don't think I ever did. I've an L200 at the moment which you could do that mileage in happily as its comfy on motorway and back road and your £70 will get you 400 miles or so.

thats not bad i thought the l200 would be worst than that, when i say good on mpg i mean about 35 40 mpg as i drive to work in a 3.0 cdti vectra and im happy with that.plus the missis wants a new car so it means me having a car for work,car for the missis,plus a 4x4 to get mucky on the fields so i thought i could get a shooting truck for work lol

Ours do in excess of 400 miles to a tank (£70), that includes 30% off road and light towing.

wow.that is surprising we towed a trailer from blackpool to lincoln and it cost us £120 odd quid. :lol:

thats not bad i thought the l200 would be worst than that, when i say good on mpg i mean about 35 40 mpg as i drive to work in a 3.0 cdti vectra and im happy with that.plus the missis wants a new car so it means me having a car for work,car for the missis,plus a 4x4 to get mucky on the fields so i thought i could get a shooting truck for work lol

wow.that is surprising we towed a trailer from blackpool to lincoln and it cost us £120 odd quid. :good:

towing a trailer does affect fuel consumption a fair bit, running a pickup is pretty possible on that mileage and road tax is a bonus at £185 or less for the newer models. Mine is a commercial spec which has smaller tyres than the warrior etc which is beneficial for economy but still its a 51 plate so not the newer engine which is supposed to be more economical and on anything 2006 onwards. The best reason for one of the newer ones is they have 4x4 you can run on the road which is ideal in snow or ice, the older versions are fine if its slippery but get diff wind up if not. Best option is try a few and talk to people who have them about real world MPG as thats what you need to know before buying one