Clay buster advice - Ultra XS / Cynergy Pro Sport / 686E

flyboy197

Hi,

I am looking to get myself a more serious clay buster after years of rifle shooting and blasting bunnies with my farming side by side... I have had a long chat with a couple of gun fitters and come to the conclusion that for me (tall, long arms, high cheek bones) I need either an adjustable comb or Monte Carlo stock with a 15 1/4 LOP. Budget probably says that a custom stock is for a couple of years time when my technique has matured some so adjustable stock is it for now hence the choice of Browning Ultra XS, Cynergy Pro Sport, or Beretta 686E.

I am going to shoot mostly sporting with a more frequent dabble into skeet and an occasional dabble into trap and will probably continue with my side by side for rough shooting etc. I am therefore looking at a 30" m/c. In no way a traditionalist over looks although not sure I'd go as far as a synthetic option.

What are people's thoughts on these guns and what sort of price do we think that they should go for second hand. I know price is a very variable feast and looking at guntrader seems to give a pretty tight group. Having never bought from a dealer before should I expect to pay list price or haggle a bit on price or get them to throw in the stock extension work?

Thanks!

Flyboy

I went for the Ultra xs because of the adjustable stock and love it....i also had a kickeeze pad fitted for extra comfort, (i have a shoulder problem)

Its horses for courses at the end of the day and you should buy whatever fits you the best regardless of make/model

Having said that, the XS is pitched against the 682E rather than the 686E so tend to be a tad more expensive.

And always haggle......even if you just get £1 off, its YOUR pound :D

shaun

I went for the Ultra xs because of the adjustable stock and love it....i also had a kickeeze pad fitted for extra comfort, (i have a shoulder problem)

Its horses for courses at the end of the day and you should buy whatever fits you the best regardless of make/model

Having said that, the XS is pitched against the 682E rather than the 686E so tend to be a tad more expensive.

And always haggle......even if you just get £1 off, its YOUR pound :D

shaun

I had a look at the 682 but was advised that with the light barrels bringing the stock out to the length that my orang-utan arms need would end up shifting the balance point back too far from the hinge pin without some drastic hollowing out of the extension (expensive!). All seems to make sense and hence not so much of a drama with the Brownings which tend to be biased slightly forward if anything. I am going to try and shoot all three before I finally take the plunge but in the end second hand availability may make or break it! Any other good sites other than guntrader?

I own a 682E and have owned two Browning XTs and one XS. I prefer the Beretta, but it's a close call. The only one I would avoid is the Cynergy. Good guns - I have shot with one - but they are a bit like Marmite - people love them or hate them. Resale would be more limited.

Edited by Gordon R

I had a look at the 682 but was advised that with the light barrels bringing the stock out to the length that my orang-utan arms need would end up shifting the balance point back too far from the hinge pin without some drastic hollowing out of the extension (expensive!). All seems to make sense and hence not so much of a drama with the Brownings which tend to be biased slightly forward if anything. I am going to try and shoot all three before I finally take the plunge but in the end second hand availability may make or break it! Any other good sites other than guntrader?

Try and find your nearest gundealer or shooting ground that sells guns, they will have the best selection and if a ground you should be able to try before you buy.

Remember with guntrader if they aint local you will have postage fee's on top of the price and you wont be able to see before parting with your hard earned.

Where are you based?

shaun

Edited by shaun4860

Try and find your nearest gundealer or shooting ground that sells guns, they will have the best selection and if a ground you should be able to try before you buy.

Remember with guntrader if they aint local you will have postage fee's on top of the price and you wont be able to see before parting with your hard earned.

Where are you based?

shaun

Up in North Wilts but only been there a bit so not in with the local dealers!

Up in North Wilts but only been there a bit so not in with the local dealers!

You dont have to be "in" with them.....

I dont know your area but im sure someone will be along with some good dealers and shooting grounds for you to try

shaun

Hi Mate,

I used to live near thruxton and used AE Clarke in Camberley its about an hours drive from there and just around the corner there was a very good clay shoot at Gibraltar Barracks if you speak to the guy that runs the shoot he may open it up to let you have a go on the guns of choice. Failing that I was wanting to try the cynergy and 682 E and drove down to Avalon guns and they squared away a free trial then I went for the 682 E :lol:

If you want the range number pm me.

ATB

Daz

I own both, but find things the opposite of a previous comment.... since I've bought the Ultra XS prestige, my 686E hasn't seen the light of day!

prefer it as it is a heavier gun, so helps to stop me from stopping the gun. also, have now found that I shoot a lot better as the adj. comb on the ultra now means I am shooting with a gun that fits me better.

Ultra XS with adj comb all the way.... (IMO)

cynergy for me,had god knows how many 68 series and 325/425/525,none of them shoot like the cynergy,best triggers ever and easy on the shoulder,not everybody's cup of tea but the best sporter I've ever shot,very easy to adjust the comb and if you go for the pro sport plenty of scope to fit a longer recoil pad,there just about 15" lop out of the box.In my view best of browning and the shallow action reminds me a little of the beretta anyway,would reccomend one to anybody.