Please can you give me some rifle advice

robbobsam

I think the savage is a great gun looks good and fires great. the only problem i find is it is a little heavy.

I would go for the savage too. :blush:

I have hit a drawing pin at 100yrds and the second shot missed by 5 mill very nice looking rifle too.

But the best advice on what rifle you get is get a good scope if you can"t see it you can"t hit it?

:D Get a cz and then change the trigger, the sako is a lot of money and feels very tacky and lightweight, they are known for being awkward to load and fussy with ammo, ive shot both, cz wins hands down imo. :blush:

Incidentally, my cz is straight out of the box and the trigger is spot on!! :look:

I was hoping someone was going to mention the Savage range of guns, I looked at these at Garlands and the only thing I didnt like about them was the trigger. The accutrigger seemed a bit uncomfortable to me and I really didnt like it, other than that, the savage ticks all the boxes.

Can you get a trigger job done on it to get rid of the accutrigger :look:

Don't bother with a savage mate, they are overpriced. Because garlands are the sole importers, they have put the price right up to money they just aren't worth.

Another vote for either CZ or sako quad from me.

Don't rule anschutz out, they're good rifles too :blush:

remington do a .22WMR in semi auto, and it's legal in england, does "carbine" mean semi auto? i thought it was just a short barrelled version of a standard rifle.

sorry meant to just say .22 rimfire, it can be lr or wmr. also ive always thought carbine related to a semi auto rifle, could be wrong :no:

As Evil Elvis said, CZ is a great gun, with either a perfect trigger out of the box, or a bad one. Ive had a CZ Style .22 which was perfect out the box, then bought a synthetc CZ 17HMR which needed a £12 trigger ! Perfect. The HMR cost me £350 and nearly 2 years, still today same accuracy as day one, maybe showing a couple of bruises on the stock, but so what.

Get the CZ 452 Synthetic (Nickel Barrel) and you wont be disappointed.

Let us know what you decide.

BB

As Evil Elvis said, CZ is a great gun, with either a perfect trigger out of the box, or a bad one. Ive had a CZ Style .22 which was perfect out the box, then bought a synthetc CZ 17HMR which needed a £12 trigger ! Perfect. The HMR cost me £350 and nearly 2 years, still today same accuracy as day one, maybe showing a couple of bruises on the stock, but so what.

Get the CZ 452 Synthetic (Nickel Barrel) and you wont be disappointed.

Let us know what you decide.

BB

I am really torn guys, whilst I await the result of my FAC application I am looking at as many reviews as possible and every day I change my mind. My head tells me to buy a CZ, but my heart says a Sako Quad.

My probloem is that Iam a bit of a gun tart.

I wanted an air rifle so I bought a Daystate Airwolf MVT because it was one of the top air guns around, now I need more range so I apply for an FAC. So now I am being drawn toward the Sako Quad and the Anschutz.

I think I need to start thinking with my wallet a bit more and go for the CZ.

I have a few weeks to go yet before I can buy my first FAC so I have to come around to the idea of buying the CZ I think.

I will let you know.

:blink: :good::oops:

Not sure about your fixation on a synthetic stock....

I had a Remmy 700 Varmint 22-250 with a synthetic stock, and all it added to the party was weight.

Just before this I had a Sako 223 Varmint with a wooden stock, and up to 200 yards it was just as accurate.

So, unless you are going to shoot in perpetual nissing rain, I don't see what the advantage would be. Unless you intend target shooting, and you won't be doing this with a 17.

I have an Annie thumbhole 17 and if I do my bit it will easily shoot 0.75" at 100 yards, and better sometimes.

I am not biassed against CZ as I've had a couple of 22 rimmies, but in this life you do get what you pay for. The difference between an Annie/Sako and a CZ may not be all that great, but you pays your money any takes your choice. Only you can decide if the £'s difference is worth it.

Hope that this helps.

Don

Not sure about your fixation on a synthetic stock....

I had a Remmy 700 Varmint 22-250 with a synthetic stock, and all it added to the party was weight.

Just before this I had a Sako 223 Varmint with a wooden stock, and up to 200 yards it was just as accurate.

So, unless you are going to shoot in perpetual nissing rain, I don't see what the advantage would be. Unless you intend target shooting, and you won't be doing this with a 17.

I have an Annie thumbhole 17 and if I do my bit it will easily shoot 0.75" at 100 yards, and better sometimes.

I am not biassed against CZ as I've had a couple of 22 rimmies, but in this life you do get what you pay for. The difference between an Annie/Sako and a CZ may not be all that great, but you pays your money any takes your choice. Only you can decide if the £'s difference is worth it.

Hope that this helps.

Don

I want the synthetic stock as I presume it will be a lot less prone to scratches and bruises. It will also be a bit more weather resistant, Obvously the wood looks a lot better and if I had oodles of money I would buy wood, but I aint, so sythetic it is.

i know if i didn't have a synthetic stock on my CZ silhouette, it'd have had to buy a new one by now - it got dropped out of the window of my Frontera as i was driving along. Scope and bipod were knackered. CZ was fine, bar some nasty scratches (that would have snapped a wooden stock).

i know if i didn't have a synthetic stock on my CZ silhouette, it'd have had to buy a new one by now - it got dropped out of the window of my Frontera as i was driving along. Scope and bipod were knackered. CZ was fine, bar some nasty scratches (that would have snapped a wooden stock).

Ah, good reason for buying a cheapo rifle I suppose..... :blink: :good:

Wouldn't want to drop my rifle out of the front window - with the scope etc would set me back over £1,500 or so

Don

ive got a cz 452 american with a hawk 3x9x40 with a reflex mod from jager sporting arms (hes at the phoenix) and use remmington .17 hmr ammo (the other brands dont seem to cut it),ive had it for 4 years and its not lost its zero,(which is at 30 meters),its a guarnteed one shot stop on rabbits,squirrels and rats.im so happy with it its unreal,ive got a wooden stock its scratched to hell but its a rough shooting gun! i find the .17 hmr a fantastic round,and this rifle is a dream,i did the trigger £12 kit!!! i shoot a lot of precision target sports and know about accuracy,i just wish i could use it at club level.ive shot 20 gn fmjs at bisley 200 yrds and it drops 6ins but stil groups in the v bull!! get a cz,u can always upgrade if u want!! but u wont want too!!

ive got a cz 452 american with a hawk 3x9x40 with a reflex mod from jager sporting arms (hes at the phoenix) and use remmington .17 hmr ammo (the other brands dont seem to cut it),ive had it for 4 years and its not lost its zero,(which is at 30 meters),its a guarnteed one shot stop on rabbits,squirrels and rats.im so happy with it its unreal,ive got a wooden stock its scratched to hell but its a rough shooting gun! i find the .17 hmr a fantastic round,and this rifle is a dream,i did the trigger £12 kit!!! i shoot a lot of precision target sports and know about accuracy,i just wish i could use it at club level.ive shot 20 gn fmjs at bisley 200 yrds and it drops 6ins but stil groups in the v bull!! get a cz,u can always upgrade if u want!! but u wont want too!!

What do you zero your HMR at ...30 metres :good::lol::lol: ..well that's a new one on me, if needs must, why not??...but perhaps a .22lr or Air rifle would also be options!! :hmm::hmm::ernyha:

When are you next on Short Siberia?? :lol: