22lR is there a major diffrence

dave killer

Dave, go for what you feel is right, nothing worse than getting a rifle and your not 100% happy with it. Not a lot of difference accuracy wise, unless your paper punching....

When youv'e got a few rabbits watching you, a semi would be good, but with practice i have shot five rabbits in the same little patch in seconds. I have a moderator on my brno .22 and wouldn't change it for the world.

Good luck :lol:

cheers mate thats all i needed to hear realy, as i only do feathery or fury i think a semi will do. Besides i can always take it back. Are there any obvious semi's to avoid for jamin ect.. or do you now of any realy good ones.

cheers bud :lol:

yes all of them

semi's will jam its their nature

bolt actions are more reliable more accurate (generally) and quieter

they are also normally cheaper

but then semi's are good fun

get a cz 452, you will end up getting one when you give back the 10/22 anyway :lol:

best of luck :lol:

From a reliability point of viw it has to be bolt, I dont fancy field stripping a semi when it jams. They are , or so I read, also ammo fussy where some wont cycle them at all and your more likely to use more ammo than you need to. Accuracy wise, well for hunting, bolt or semi shouldnt make a difference.

The experience gained from taking a out of the box 10/22 and turning it into a reliable and predictable tool is second to none ...................and sets you up for the rest of your shooting life . :lol:

One thing i've noticed on this forum is that most critisism aimed at the 10/22 is by shooters that don't have or own one or have only used one for 5 mins.

Funny that :lol:

I love my 10/22 and i would'nt part with it for it is part of me ...............I know it like the back of my hand through EXPERIENCE :thumbs:

Ive

admitadly i have never owned one, but i must have put thousands of rounds through other peoples and particually the club rifles. you need to spend money on them for them to finction consistantly (or anywhere near as reliable as a bolt action) this in my mind makes it a no no when you can buy a cz 452 for £230 and it will shoot as well as a custom 10/22 for half the price and with better reliability.

each to their own as always, i wouldnt ever swap a bolt action for a semi (not just 10/22) i personally feel i want to know mistakes are down to me, and my rifle is the one component which will not break or miss or miss feed, i would never feel this confidence with a semi auto, and as such wouldnt know who to blame for a unexplained miss, me or the gun?

it is always me who messes up with the bolt action, and personally thats how i want it to stay.

I'm with you Ive,

I love my 10/22. I went the sa road because I'm left handed. Once I found the ammo it likes

(CBC subs) and keep the action relatively clean I get few problems and then its usually a mag that needs a good clean. Mags seem to be a weakness in the CZ452 aswell.

Mods, a bolt buffer to make it a bit quieter and a butt pad to increase the stock length, thats it.

A hawke Eclipse 30, 6x42 on top and on a good night I take bunnies upto 90yds. Last night I shot 4 buns, 2 at 70+ yds in the pouring rain and half a gale. Does me, and if I miss, then maybe I'll get it another night.

I got a ruger (valtzquarten) as accurate as any .22 never had problems cycling the rounds ideal for the field but with a match barrel see my avitar never regreted it was my first gun from Roger at South Yorkshire shooting suplies good web site if you do a search

I get few problems and then its usually a mag that needs a good clean.

Should i be telling you this :thumbs:

No doubt DS you've put 2 more turns on the Mag spring............What size is that flippin allen key :lol: ........Had to adapt one from a Metric AND Imperial set. :lol:

It is second nature for me to now tap and blow into the Mag before reloading to remove any residue.I also prior to an outing load and unload my mags several times to loosen things up. :lol:

Ive

I get few problems and then its usually a mag that needs a good clean.

Should i be telling you this :lol:

No doubt DS you've put 2 more turns on the Mag spring............What size is that flippin allen key :lol: ........Had to adapt one from a Metric AND Imperial set. :lol:

It is second nature for me to now tap and blow into the Mag before reloading to remove any residue.I also prior to an outing load and unload my mags several times to loosen things up. :)

Ive

should have got a cz :P magazines work flawlessly :thumbs: :P:)

well cheers boys i think im more confuzed now than i was before!!

but at least now iv'e got a few names of guns to look at.

I think the chap who said get both may have hit the nail on the head.

Thanks alot people ill be sending in pic's of my choice and kill.

p.s great forum saved a long trip down gun room.

cheers dav :thumbs: ;):D

I had a go with a Walther bullpup at Bisley recently, Great fun but that would jam up with cheap ammo, it was OK with CCI and Eley though.

Apparently and this is not from experience, cheaper ammo has quite a bit of grease on the bullet and this can carry muck into the action. Eley and some of the nmore expensive stuff is more refined.

I use Lapua Master for target shooting and find it to be good consistent and cheap.

Cheers

MC