Speaking a second language?

starlight32

Right or wrong the fact is that most english / american / australians aren't multi-lingual because we don't need to be. It is not a matter of ignorance imho but more to do with need. Native speakers of non-English languages typically learn / are taught English because it is necessary or at least advantageous for them to do so. Not the case for us (and it's not our fault).

I think we are definately behind the times. Mind you many youngsters leaving school are struggling to speak english these days (I sound old but only left school 6 years ago). I took German lessons at school and finished gaining a GCSE grade A which meant i could just about hold a conversation. However upon leaving school i began an apprenticeship in civil engineering and there was never the option to learn a language with this. The only was i could have continued to learn German was by going on to sixth form and complete it at A Level. I would absolutly of loved to continue learning the language and now, upon forgetting most of what i had learnt, really do regret not fulfilling it.

I also think the problem is that when abroad there is little to no need to speak the country's language, other than to be polite. I know this may offend a few of you and you will think that i am being ignorant, however the point i am trying to make is that there is little opportunity for me to speak a foreign language in this country on a day to day basis and little need to speak it abroad.

Dan

It is the arrogance of the British that makes them expect every foreign national to speak our language. Unfortunately after ruling half the world in empire days English has developed into one of the most used second languages right across the globe. It is the language of commerce and international navigation as far as I know. Thye unfortunate bit about it being a universal language every waif and stray who wants the leave their poverty stricken existance heads for. Where? Britain of course where he or she can speak the lingo.

Blackpowder

I can read and understand Russian technical documents and military literature, but would struggle to hold a decent conversation. I can make myself understood and hold limited conversations in Arabic, aswell as French, and German. I can exchange pleasantries (but very little else) in Turkish, Greek and Japanese.

ZB

I went on holiday to Spain once with a mate, who was so proud of the single phrase he had mastered ("Dos cervezas por favor") that he insisted in ordering the beers wherever we went. In the first bar, the waiter came over and asked us (in English!) what we would like. Bob, determined not to be put off, piped up: "Dos cervezas por favor!", and the waiter smiled and trotted off. Job done, Bob sat back all chuffed with himself, until the waiter arrived with two tiny wee glasses of beer. Bob was all like *** but didn't know any other Spanish words, so he just accepted them with an indignant frown. We moved on to another bar, and when the waiter came over, Bob looked like he was going to beat him up and said: "Dos cervezas por favor... BUT BIG ONES ALRIGHT PAL?!". His face was a picture when the waiter brought out two glass BUCKETS full of beer! Awesome.

It's definitely more rewarding, not to mention more polite, if you make an effort to speak the language when abroad.

Languages reverted back to being an option subject in most uk schools.

I have always preached to my tutor group that a smattering of phrases in Fr/Sp/Ge/It is very handy

Where is the toilet? etc

But, hey I was taught Welsh from aged 6 to 13!!

I think we should line up all the Germans and Frenchies, and if they cant speak The Queens, give em a wallop with an 8 ball/size 9 sock combo :good: I had to learn a second language when i met my wife. It was a case of if i didnt, then we would have parted long ago. It was a bit odd at first, speaking to her in another tongue, but you soon get used to it. I love her too much to let a language barrier stop us having a happy married life.

Did i mention she is from Scotland? :good: