First Fox Cub of 2010

pavman

Been doing the homework and looks like the Vixen has split her brood up so not sure how many Cubs there are but came across what looked like an active old Bunny hole made just a little bigger than the others. Did a sit out last night and this Vixen cub was the only shot I got, had a fleeting look at mum and she will have moved any others that may heve been there so the fieldcraft starts all over again......

post-1500-1271841795.jpg

Nice one pav, I know some folks dont liek shooting them when they are that young but its one less to become a problem :lol:

I can understand it, they are a lovely looking creature but unforunately when they set up camp in the woods the release pens are based in come July when the poults are coming on if left un checked they do untold damage. If they took one now and again the shoot could sustain them but their nature makes them what they are and there is no option but to deal with the threat when you can

Nice one, I shot a tiny one last year, but didn't post it on here as I didn't want to provoke a negative response.

My mate point blank refuses to believe there is fox cubs out yet, I showed him this thread and his words were 'thats probably a picture from last year to blag everyone' :yes::lol: :lol:

Anyway, godd shooting, young or not, it won't be long before its fully grown and eating pheasants!

All the best,

SSS :yes:

Nice one, I shot a tiny one last year, but didn't post it on here as I didn't want to provoke a negative response.

My mate point blank refuses to believe there is fox cubs out yet, I showed him this thread and his words were 'thats probably a picture from last year to blag everyone' :yes::lol: :lol:

Anyway, godd shooting, young or not, it won't be long before its fully grown and eating pheasants!

All the best,

SSS :yes:

Last year my first cubs (2) came on May 8th again by sitting out an earth, If you are watching and the earth is active its best to deal with it there and then, I am tracking around 5 earths and this is the first one to show any signs of use with feathers and body parts around where the dog has been feeding the Vixen whilst she tends the cubs....... The Vixen was not in the earth at the time and they often split up the cubs and go to them to feed, dividing the litter gives them a better chance if one lot are found she still has others...... there may be several vixens all moving cubs about maybe on my permission or next door, they dont hold ground the same way the land is held......

Shoot next door shot their first cubs about 10 days before I found any..... maybe the weather here in the south east brings them on quicker?

Nice one mate. There is no reason to think that here are not loads of earths with cubs in at this time of the year and those cubs will need feeding even more as they grow which means that the adults will be hunting even more - That to me is good enough reason to shoot them. No matter how young or small they are at the moment if they are not "culled" they are going to grow to be adults and breed themselves, causing even more problems with game bird rearers and farmers.

A good fox is a dead fox. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

only good fox is a dead fox :lol:

Not that I have any particular problem with shooting foxes, cubs or otherwise. In fact I shoot my fair share - but stuff like this just makes shooters sound like bloodthirsty retards. Yes, its a pest. But a native predator with a beauty of its own, an ecological role, a place in our countryside and part of what makes british nature what it is. Treat them with at least some respect and don't come across like a redneck halfwit and we might just have a future in shooting.....

i gotta sidde with jcf on this one i'm a farmer and know first hand how sly mr fox is but heres the but i can understand you like to post a pic of a dead cub because you proud and fair do's but well i dunno i'm all for culling foxes but something inside me says that posting a pic of a shot cub is jut a lil too far and like the previous poster said a bit bloodthirsty and redneck-ish but hey each to there own and i know i didn't have to open the thread i knew wat was coming but i thought i'd give my 2 cents

jim

Edited by jimmyh1988

i attended a job last friday to shoot a litter and vixen who were under the household decking .when i arrived the husband opend the door let me in guided me throu to the rear of the house where this little cubs were paying 5 in all and a very mainagey vixen i took out the rifle and it all changed they became cute little things and he canceld the job but had to pay as he had pre booked me. his wife did warn me her hubby was a bit of a puff and she was not wrong love to have been a fly on the wall when she returned home lol

Not that I have any particular problem with shooting foxes, cubs or otherwise. In fact I shoot my fair share - but stuff like this just makes shooters sound like bloodthirsty retards. Yes, its a pest. But a native predator with a beauty of its own, an ecological role, a place in our countryside and part of what makes british nature what it is. Treat them with at least some respect and don't come across like a redneck halfwit and we might just have a future in shooting.....

I agree :good:

Les :yes: