Shooting pheasants out of season

While I was out today I spotted someone I know carrying a gun in a slip and in the other hand a shot pheasant this isn't the first time I have seen him with pheasants out of season.

the question is should I or would you inform the authorities and who should be informed and what punishment would be involved?

While I was out today I spotted someone I know carrying a gun in a slip and in the other hand a shot pheasant this isn't the first time I have seen him with pheasants out of season.

the question is should I or would you inform the authorities and who should be informed and what punishment would be involved?

I would speak to him direct first :lol:

If he has permission, speak to the land owner and inform him. If he doesn't, the local authorities should be informed. Not doing it face to face is not cowardly. The people i have had dealings with who shoot whatever the season would think nothing of poisoning gundogs, damaging property etc.

I've shot injured birds out of season before, so be sure that's not the case first. A few of my shoots are near roads and you'd be surprised at the number of Pheasants I see stumbling around after coming second in a fight with a car.

If he's just shooting them for the fun of it though I'd have words. It's hardly the end of the world but it's out of order to the point I'd have to have a chat with him. :lol:

if you know him have a word, but keep it light - "if i were you id be careful carrying pheasants around in plain view when theyre out of season incase someone gets the wrong idea" and see what he says. he could be shooting injured ones, could be he doesnt realise theres seasons, or could be he's just an idiot. depending on his reply youll know what do do

if you know him have a word, but keep it light - "if i were you id be careful carrying pheasants around in plain view when theyre out of season incase someone gets the wrong idea" and see what he says. he could be shooting injured ones, could be he doesnt realise theres seasons, or could be he's just an idiot. depending on his reply youll know what do do

Agreed Ozzy, check the facts first, then if he is in the wrong do the right thing. :lol:

One the one hand, none of us want to see anyone (including ourselves) giving shooting sports a bad name.

On the other hand, there are way too many people - shooters and non-shooters alike - that are too eager to call the authorities to tell about someone else's infraction.

With that in mind: IMHO - Have a polite chat with the alleged poacher, and then drop it.

BTW: Is there any provision to shoot pheasants, or any other animal, if they are marauding crops?