Like a dog to water

ollie

Hi All,

I have been trying to get my 1 year old springer pup to start retrieving from water however it is not going great. She will retrieve and enter the water fine until she has to start swimming and then she is straight out. She is a great wee retriever on dry land but I hope she takes to the water. Any tips lads of how I can get her to start. I have walked into the water along with her but this doesn't seem to help either.

Have you tried going in the water with her? That will give her confidence. Did that with one of my lab the one on the right as he didnt like swimming. Give her time though as you dont want to make her more shy.

oops didnt read the last part have you got another dog that you can make her compete with, she certainly needs more confidence try and take her mind of the water.

Edited by BFG

This may not be the correct answer but - sit her while a dog that is mad for the water does a couple of retrieves & that might get her interested :) Mind & do the odd retreive yourself like you do on dry land :good:???

Get a toy etc that she really likes and get her worked up by teasing her with it, then throw it in the water and let her run in. With a bit of luck she will want it so badly she will forget that she is swimming.

Be prepared to go and get it though if she doesn't.

Don't worry about the running in, you can steady her when you have got her swimming.

My lab wouldn't go in, tried her first at 15 weeks and she went in up to her chest but no further, even with me, toys, treats, sticks and the in-laws boarder collie in the water (who she adores) and she wouldn't have it. About 6 weeks ago we took her for a walk around the local leisure lakes and thought we'd try again, so we got her interested in a stick for a little while and then lobbed it about 5 foot from the bank. she wimpered a bit, but eventually went in after it, and then 100 times after that!

Can't keep her out of it now!

ollie just keep throwing the dummy so that she can walk in for it then just a we bit further each time till she is sort of going out of her depth for it just keep that up and just keep throwing it a few yards further each time over the next few weeks and she should eventualy start swimming for it, failing that wade across a small river to the far side and try calling her to you she will proabaly run up and down the bank but if you start then walking away up the field she should enter the water and swim to come after you ,

Thanks for the advice lads. I never thought about getting another dog to compete with her; my Father's springer (my pups father) is great in water so I will maybe try this technique. Monkeyboots: I have tried the dummy and tennis balls in shallow water and throwing it a little further each time but she chickens out when she can't stand any longer.

This may not be the correct answer but - sit her while a dog that is mad for the water does a couple of retrieves & that might get her interested :) Mind & do the odd retreive yourself like you do on dry land ???:)

:good:

Yes jealosy is a great tool where dogs are concerned.

I just used to walk mine down to the waters edge like every day, if she only wanted to paddle she would. As soon as she started swimming then she would turn around, after time she got more used to it and now swims like a fish, just spend alot of time around the water and let the dog process in its own time. If you try n push it the dog may end up more frightened

as said try another dog but wait till its warmer that way they have less to find a shock and usually like the experience. Mine was never that keen and she learned by accident at Grafham water, decided if she wanted to get to the ducks she had to get in and get in she did <_<