General decoying tips

Hello all,

Ive been decoying a few times now with a chap who's been doing it years, everytime he sets up we have them coming in all the time and having bags of 20-30 birds.

However, when i go on my own, i dont really know what im doing. I do set up the same way as i did with the older chap i have been with, i have even been to the same spot but just cannot get them coming in the same. When i do get them coming in, they seem to jink and fly away when they get within 50 yards of me...and i cant shoot them at 50 yards (im sat in the hide below the netting)

So, as no two days are the same, im looking to learn some fundamental basics which i can apply my self.

Such as, how should i set my pattern with the wind, the seasons, do different crops command different decoy patterns, how far away should i be in my hide away from the decoys, what way should my decoys face etc etc.

Im not one to blame my gear, i have a camo net and 12 shells, the same as we had when i went with the older chap and they worked then.....so its my field craft whats utter rubbish!!! :good:

Hello all,

Ive been decoying a few times now with a chap who's been doing it years, everytime he sets up we have them coming in all the time and having bags of 20-30 birds.

However, when i go on my own, i dont really know what im doing. I do set up the same way as i did with the older chap i have been with,[i rarely set up the same way as the last time I was out unless the wind etc. is the same(strength/direction etc)] i have even been to the same spot but just cannot get them coming in the same. When i do get them coming in, they seem to jink and fly away when they get within 50 yards of me[something is spooking them alright, the hide or possibly the approach to the kill/landing zone]...and i cant shoot them at 50 yards (im sat in the hide below the netting)

So, as no two days are the same, im looking to learn some fundamental basics which i can apply my self.

Such as, how should i set my pattern with the wind, the seasons, do different crops command different decoy patterns, how far away should i be in my hide away from the decoys, what way should my decoys face etc etc.

Im not one to blame my gear, i have a camo net and 12 shells, the same as we had when i went with the older chap and they worked then.....so its my field craft whats utter rubbish!!! <_<Nah, just inexperience

As above, fatcat has hit the nail on the head.

cheers thanks for your help.

At the moment im just using a jack pyke clear view netting, under a tree canopy against a hedge, i must admit, its not the most convincing hide so i think ill have to invest in some better camo netting to go with the clear view stuff.

cheers thanks for your help.

At the moment im just using a jack pyke clear view netting, under a tree canopy against a hedge, i must admit, its not the most convincing hide so i think ill have to invest in some better camo netting to go with the clear view stuff.

Pull some long grass up and cut some bits out of the hedge and make your hide look natural <_<

Cheers, im hoping to get out this weekend so ill give it a go with the hide :oops:

Meanwhile, what sort of shape should i set up my pattern? I was told a horse shoe? which way of the 'opening' of the horse shoe should face the hide? the round bit or the open bit. Should i be facing into the wind, or away from the wind.....so many questions!

Thanks <_<

You mention that they were jinking away from about 50 yards, so they were interested from further afield and they headed your way, then they change their minds.

Why not walk out 50 yards and look back at your set up to see how it looks. You might find something is glinting in the sun which you couldn't see from the hide, or that your hide is see through if your backdrop was not thick enough..... Always a good idea to look at your set up from a distance like that, you'll be surprised what you might see from a different angle!

Cheers, im hoping to get out this weekend so ill give it a go with the hide :oops:

Meanwhile, what sort of shape should i set up my pattern? I was told a horse shoe? which way of the 'opening' of the horse shoe should face the hide? the round bit or the open bit. Should i be facing into the wind, or away from the wind.....so many questions!

Thanks <_<

Basically the open side of the horseshoe should be UP wind and the kill zone down wind. I magine you are in the hedge and the wind is from L to R, the open end should be to the left. The reverse is also true.

I believe you said you had just 12 deeks and if so I would use a J rather than a U shape, ie. one leg longer (the one furthest out in the field) than the other(closest to you). You will have to adjust the direction the open face of the pattern if the wind is at an angle too as the "legs" are the way the birds are funnelled towards your kill zone.

Another way is to just have 2 clumps, usually oval shaped, with a kill zone between them.

I will see if I can find some pictures for you. Pictures here

Jack Pyke netting is of limited use IMO especially without a solid bacground. From what you've said I reckon the pigeons are seeing you moving behind the net. The best way to tell is to set up then walk away, at least 200 yds, and sit down where you can see the decoys. If your decoys are sound the pigeons will come in and it's you or your hide at fault. If the pigeons come in then veer off you need to re-set your deeks.

I would say a hide is one of the least important factors in a set-up. You obviously have to be hidden, though.As long as you keep fairly still, pigeons shouldn't spot you. I also believe a hide doesn't have to blend in too much- it helps but is certainly not essential.

A friend of mine that i shoot with, never looks above his hide to spot birds that may be on the wing. Therefore he gets too many birds come in that he never shoots, because he wasn't prepared. I am almost constantly looking for birds over the top of the hide, only to sit down when a pigeon approaches. I never get spotted.

I would be interested to know if you are shooting the same field too often. The pigeons would be a little wary if this is the case. Also, are you setting up in exactly the same spot each time? What crop are you shooting over?

I would say a hide is one of the least important factors in a set-up. You obviously have to be hidden, though.As long as you keep fairly still, pigeons shouldn't spot you. I also believe a hide doesn't have to blend in too much- it helps but is certainly not essential.

A friend of mine that i shoot with, never looks above his hide to spot birds that may be on the wing. Therefore he gets too many birds come in that he never shoots, because he wasn't prepared. I am almost constantly looking for birds over the top of the hide, only to sit down when a pigeon approaches. I never get spotted.

I would be interested to know if you are shooting the same field too often. The pigeons would be a little wary if this is the case. Also, are you setting up in exactly the same spot each time? What crop are you shooting over?

i also look over the hide to spot birds you will get a few that appear from behind and see you straight away.but birds in the distance in front of you dont see you straight away and if they shows signs of coming towards the decoys i slowly crouch below and wait for em to ......commit..... it could be you are getting up to soon to shoot in their approach then they will see you and veer off before you get a shot off its about timing and you get that with expeirence.or it could be they have been chased about a few times and they are looking for danger signs from that spot you are shooting.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello all,

However, when i go on my own, i dont really know what im doing. I do set up the same way as i did with the older chap i have been with, i have even been to the same spot but just cannot get them coming in the same. When i do get them coming in, they seem to jink and fly away when they get within 50 yards of me...and i cant shoot them at 50 yards (im sat in the hide below the netting)

Im not one to blame my gear, i have a camo net and 12 shells, the same as we had when i went with the older chap and they worked then.....so its my field craft whats utter rubbish!!! :yahoo:

Having the Hide in the right place is important. Check your background cover and dont jump up too early. All the replies are relevant and each plays an important part in a successful shoot. Most of all experience counts, keep practising.

Good Luck