peas

yickdaz

just wundering is anybody getting any shooting over peas at the moment? very quiet on the fields i have been looking at recently.

Have been both sun bathing and drowning in fields of peas, Seen 3 pigeons in total in 2 days. Really frustrating on first day, got how lit the bbq opened a beer and sat in the garden to see more pigeons on my TV arial than in the field. :big_boss:

• 2 weeks later...

Shooting over peas has been hard work over the last few weeks, pigeons not coming out to play until 5pm in afternoon so dont bother look mid day, had over 100 in last 3 weeks on same field, dreadful heat today rather be in garden with tinny but still got 28

thanks for the info guys :hmm: was thinking of giving up on em on the peas after 4 fruitless trips but seems they are turning there attention to them although i;m seeing decent numbers of em on the clover when driving to and from work. even seen a flock of about 200 lift from a rape field beleive it or not.

Guest gloker

Ive got two local permissions over peas. (humberside.) One has a couple of scarers playing to themselves. The other had about a hundred woodies lift off it. Going out this evening. Gary

Guest gloker

Im a bit less luminous when im shooting. Are you out driff way? Ive got 2 new permissions from chatting to farmers whilst on standby:) only perk i can think of to standby!

Every pigeon shooter you’ll ever meet will tell you there’s nothing like peas for decoying woody on...yeah right! Apart from the fact that Birds Eye have closed their factory in this region so virtually no peas being grown this year on the odd fields we do have peas (for animal fodder) we’ve not seen a bird since the day they were drilled! Same as last year!

Havnt seen so many pigeons on a field of peas, been trying to decoy them all weekend, very spooky but me and mates got 200 over the weekend on same field, been waiting for them to build up but they all ganged up too quick, think they will be there all summer now nothing else in the area for them to feed on until the rape gets cut

Every pigeon shooter you’ll ever meet will tell you there’s nothing like peas for decoying woody on...yeah right! Apart from the fact that Birds Eye have closed their factory in this region so virtually no peas being grown this year on the odd fields we do have peas (for animal fodder) we’ve not seen a bird since the day they were drilled! Same as last year!

same here been 4 times looking and not a pigeon on them and no other peas for em to go at in a 10 mile radius. its a great pigeon area normally. shot good bags on winter rape and summer stubbles in the last 3 years. i know i keep harping on about how puzzled i am. but it is very strange; put rape in same area and you cant see the fields for pigeons covering them. : :good::good::lol:

Edited by yickdaz

its bin hard work just had 2 weeks of work shot 5 days solid on differnt feild shot 20 -30 each day but not easy

still havent pulled the trigger on a bird on peas and thats 5 trips now lookin for em. 3 times i went didnt see a bird 1 time a dozen on em with no flightline coming in. yesterday found a few flighting but birds dropping in to any part of field and any tree they fancied i set up were i thought i might get a few.and i meen afew because there wasnt more than 50 in the 150 acre sea of peas.. sat for 30 mins and not a bird in sight so packed up and ******** off home thinking thats it gonna wait for some laid cereals and harvested barley;wheat; and rape lookin forward to the time. i have been getting quite a bit of shooting last few months on various crops but they have give me the run around on the peas this year but it just makes me more determined to get on terms with em when i get the chance and its not long before i do get the chance :)

Edited by yickdaz

I feel a bit sorry for you, yickdaz. In my area there are loads of pea fields with birds on. Sometimes it's difficult to know which one to shoot. I made a mistake on saturday and picked the wrong field. I shot 43 on my chosen field, but someone else shot over 80 on the field which was to be my back up plan. Looks like i missed out on a possible 100+, there!

I had a quick drive around and spotted 4 other lots of decoyers on peas in a mile radius!

Went on my first pigeon shoot yesterday and it was over peas. Wind was all over the place and ended up with a bit of a strange decoy pattern but it was working well. Must have got about 40 birds in about 5 hours but they are a ****** to find and pick up!! Had a fantastic time just need to get some of my own gear and get some permissions and there will be no stopping me. :hmm:

Peas all flowered here but I've still not seen any birds feeding on them at any time of day - the farmer confirms this too.

They seem more interested in some patchy areas of rape and the lucen.

I shot a couple on Monday evening that burst out of a tree and they were stuffed full of lucen.

Last year I had fantastic days on the peas (but had only just started with my SGC and didn't hit many!) - but this year it's been rubbish!

Steve

Our lucen was blue last year, but not a pigeon on them this year. The peas are starting to pod now. There has been a bit of activity on them with around 150 in the evenings. They are hitting it all over the field so no steady days to speak of. Im going to give it a go on Friday and if that produces then i will go again on Saturday.

I feel a bit sorry for you, yickdaz. In my area there are loads of pea fields with birds on. Sometimes it's difficult to know which one to shoot. I made a mistake on saturday and picked the wrong field. I shot 43 on my chosen field, but someone else shot over 80 on the field which was to be my back up plan. Looks like i missed out on a possible 100+, there!

had a quick drive around and spotted 4 other lots of decoyers on peas in a mile radius!

you live in an area that is noted for woodpigeons same as lincs and cambridgeshire not everyone on here has access to pigeons feeding on the peas or even permission on them.just a bit sorry i bet more like rubbing salt in the wounds it sounds to me :good: no need to i will have plenty of chances coming up on stubbles maybe a bit of laid cereals.

Edited by yickdaz

It has been much harder this year on peas than any other year round me due to the type planted where as on a mates permission it has been very good with some huge bags being taken and when i say huge a mate and his friend was out on sat and shot just over 550 from 2 fields .

Things have started to improve on my peas since they came in to pod just over 2 weeks ago not had any really good bags but 30s had another 34 today but again my mate beat me with his haul of 137 but nevermind soon be harvest but for the moment 30s will do ,another thing is that this year more than other years the birds are really hitting the sugar beat fields with 2 looked at this evening and both had well over 200 birds on feeding happily ! :good:

It has been much harder this year on peas than any other year round me due to the type planted where as on a mates permission it has been very good with some huge bags being taken and when i say huge a mate and his friend was out on sat and shot just over 550 from 2 fields .

Things have started to improve on my peas since they came in to pod just over 2 weeks ago not had any really good bags but 30s had another 34 today but again my mate beat me with his haul of 137 but nevermind soon be harvest but for the moment 30s will do ,another thing is that this year more than other years the birds are really hitting the sugar beat fields with 2 looked at this evening and both had well over 200 birds on feeding happily ! :lol:

yeah its a get what you can time of year though like you say 30 pigeons is a good session in my book as well. :lol: i never really shoot over peas to be honest they dont grow em round my area that much and its hit or miss when they do put em in. but fresh rape stubbles always produce and cereal stubble shooting goes on up to november so plenty of time to get at em its the calm before the storm so to speak at moment. :good:

Edited by yickdaz