Dog hearing protection

oscarsdad

Guys,

I am hoping to take my young dog with me when I go decoying pigeons next week...he is fearless around the guns as he comes to clay shoots with me and doesn't even bat an eyelid at the noise.

But my question is this, surely with him being in close proximity to me in the hide, his hearing is likely to be damaged by the noise?

Any thoughts? Anyone had a dog go deaf from gunfire?

Thanks,

Anthony

Guys,

I am hoping to take my young dog with me when I go decoying pigeons next week...he is fearless around the guns as he comes to clay shoots with me and doesn't even bat an eyelid at the noise.

But my question is this, surely with him being in close proximity to me in the hide, his hearing is likely to be damaged by the noise?

Any thoughts? Anyone had a dog go deaf from gunfire?

Thanks,

Anthony

Think my dog is deaf :blush: :blush: never listens to a thing I say :rolleyes::blush:

Prolonged exposure to very loud noises in humans causes deafness IN LATER LIFE.

Think about it for a minute.... unless you are lucky enough to be shooting all day every day at masses of game or pigeons your dog will be dead long before it goes deaf.

Edit to say: sorry, that sounds a bit condescending, not really my style. Your dog will be fine, take him out and enjoy yourself. Best of luck.

Edited by WGD

Prolonged exposure to very loud noises in humans causes deafness IN LATER LIFE.

Think about it for a minute.... unless you are lucky enough to be shooting all day every day at masses of game or pigeons your dog will be dead long before it goes deaf.

Edit to say: sorry, that sounds a bit condescending, not really my style. Your dog will be fine, take him out and enjoy yourself. Best of luck.

except that everything ageing wise happens far faster in dogs, but you can end up with a deaf dog but odds are it will be outside its working life, generally its a case of be sensible 10 months is probably a little early just depends what preparation work you have done so far

10 months is perhaps a bit too young to be shooting over. You may even find a young dog that wasn't gun shy before hand - suddenly becomes so after a day in the hide, after being subjected to the constant loud noise of a shotgun discharge.

Allow him and his ears to develop a little more, and keep the "bangs" to a minimum at this stage - else you could well end up with hearing problems in latter life.