Long Range Rabbits with 17HMR

I've just done a short video of 4 rabbits shot with the 17HMR, all over 100 yards!

May I just put a few words of caution before you watch this video. I only take on these "longer range shots" when there is no other option and the conditions are right even though I have a lot of confidence in my marksmanship and my rifle's capabilities! You will notice that on the shots shown the lay of the land would have made it almost impossible for me to have got much closer to the quarry without being detected. I do not advocate shooting live quarry with the 17HMR beyond ranges of around 150 yards due to the "human error factor" - If we are going to be totally honest with ourselves we have to admit that we are all capable of "pulling" a shot now and then and the longer the range the greater the chance of leaving a "runner", this is disrespectful to our quarry! There is no real substitute for good fieldcraft and I believe that stalking your quarry to within a safe and comfortable range to suit your shooting capabilities and is much more skillful and pleasurable than just taking "pot shots" at live quarry which might be at unreasonable ranges for your rifle or abilities!

(This applies to ALL CALIBRES and not just the 17HMR)

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="385"> Edited by Frenchieboy

I've just done a short video of 4 rabbits shot with the 17HMR, all over 1200 yards!

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="385">

1200 yards! eff me mate, thought the .338 lapmag was good.

Nice vid dude.

PS, the last shot on the young rabbit should be a lesson for anyone wanting to know what a safe shot with a backstop is...well done Frenchie.

Edited by kyska

PS, the last shot on the young rabbit should be a lesson for anyone wanting to know what a safe shot with a backstop is...well done Frenchie.

The bank where that last rabbit was shot is little more than 30 degrees off the vertical, it was a devil of a job for "an old un like me" to get to to recover the rabbit! I do like to try to demonstrate safe shooting on any of my videos, I believe in the old saying "practice what you preach"!

Excellent video Frenchie, it looks like you have your camera mounted onto of your scope or something, is that the case?

Also what camera and how have you attached it etc....Thanks

Ian.

You are quite correct there Ian, I do have the camcorder mounted on the scope. The camcorder is a Samsung VP-D371W which I got from fleabay for £55.00 (Including P&P) with a spare battery and 5 new (Mini DV) tapes which was a reasonable bargain. The only thing that I could fault with this camcorder is that it does not have a "Night Shot" facility so i will have to get a different one for lamping with, but hey ho that's no problem! The way I have done it makes it easy to transfer the camcorder from my 17HMR to my .222 in a matter of half a minute with just one allen screw to undo and then retighten.

The way I have mounted it is described and photographed on this thread:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...howtopic=125987

I hope this answers your questions and helps you out. If you want any more info please just ask!

Pete

Good shooting fella, must be a bit tricky setting that vid cam up ?

How much `optical` zoom does it have?

Hi Mate, The Camcorder is marked as 34X Optical Zoom which tends to suit my needs. As for setting it up it is really quite simple as I have shown on the foloowing thread:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...howtopic=125987

I chose to do things that way I have so that I can swap the camcorder between eother of my rifles without any problems quite quickly. There was a bit of concern as to how the recoil of my .222 might effect it but there does not seem to be a problem with that. The only let down is that it does not have a "Night Shot" facility so I will have to get another camcorder if I want to use the setup for lamping.

Nice shooting Frenchieboy :good:

No Elmer Fudd impersonations this time? :good:

No, I didn't take Elmer with me this time, he misses far too many bunnies anyhow! Anyhow, he has lost his voice so would not have been able to give a good commentary!