New iPhone

agusta

Is there much on the 4g that you will really use that the 3g doesnt have, would take me a lifetime to use half the 3g iphone functions. or is this just a case of must have.. interested to see what 4g offers.

Now the i pad looks interesting

doc

"Now the i pad looks interesting"

How you can say that after asking what the iPhone 4 is any better at doing! At least it can make a phone call!

The iPhone 4 has the exact same processor and ram as the iPad, so you're getting more with the iPhone 4.

How you can say that after asking what the iPhone 4 is any better at doing! At least it can make a phone call!

well for one it is a better size for photos, it would replace my lap top, and being an old fuddy duddy I will be able to read whats on it and see the pictures, who said anything about it replacing the phone ?

doc

Edited by docholiday

For me it's because I lost my 3g phone so need a new one, could claim on the household insurance but as my contract has expired I might as well not pay the excess and not make a claim to keep the premiums down.

The main the 4 would be better for than the 3G for me would be multitasking and a quicker processor as some things were quite slow on the 3G.

And a better battery life.

Edited by allthegearandnoidea

better battery life would be a def advantage

you'll get 6 hours on 3G now.

People slate the battery, but no other phone could handle 5 hours of 3G calls. This record has been set since the 3Gs.

Edited by Billy.

you'll get 6 hours on 3G now.

People slate the battery, but no other phone could handle 5 hours of 3G calls. This record has been set since the 3Gs.

Is that 7 hours of "TALKTIME"?

Or standby time?

I am thinking about either a iphone or a blackberry for business use and need to weigh up the pros and cons.

Or standby time?

I am thinking about either a iphone or a blackberry for business use and need to weigh up the pros and cons.

MC

I get about two days stand by time on the 3g as I dont use it that much, I guess he means talk time.

most people I talk to plug them into the computor to charge every night

tried the Blackberry and it didnt seem in the same class as the i phone

imo

doc

Or standby time?

Talk time. 3g will use more battery than GSM, so you'll get even longer talk time of you turn off 3G.

You get 14 hours talk time on GSM

300 hours standby. (on, but locked)

MC,

Have you deliberately excluded an Android based phone like HTC Desire, Legend etc. or Sony?

I've just got a Desire and pretty impressed with it so far. That said horses for courses really but my only pearl of wisdom for a smartphone purchase / contract would be to get an 18month contract if possible; especially if the costs can be offset against the business. Things are moving so fast in the market that a 24 month tie in is not good value in my humble opinion.

Some pretty good deals out there; I got 10 months half price on a 600 minute, unlimited texts and 1Gig data contract with Vodafone (inc. free passport which is good for roaming) at £40 per month. Suits me :good:

ATB

Raja

Raja,

No I haven't deliberately excluded the android phones, I haven't got a scooby do as to what they are or what they do.

The costs will be offset as a business cost so I am not overly worried. Although all I am really after is a phone/text machine that takes reasonable photos and e mails.

I do not need it to make the tea or drive me home after a night out, although that could be handy sometimes. I guess I would need a C3PO type android for that rather than a Marvin the paranoid Android type.

Android is tipped to supersede the iOS platform. I can see it happening, but Android would need to be used by a few more phone manufacturers to make people want a smartphone running Android.

Thanks Billy,

Unfortunately I still haven't got the foggiest what you are on about.

I think I will stick to my basic Nokia, I know how to work that.

trust me MC I'm sure thats for the best, I'm going back to one once my current *** is out of contract. My 6300 was the best phone I've had, note the word phone its reception was better in marginal areas than any geeky phone I've tried or seen since.

I've just claimed on my phone insurance and instead of sending me a £g they sent me a 3GS. IMO its much better than the 3G as i get better/faster internet and also i love having the video camera and better photo quality. However two things really frustrate me and thats the battery life, it needs charging at least every night although i do use it alot, and also how utterly rubbish the phone is at getting reception. Sat mine next to my cousins 3G and he ahd three bars while i had no service. I may just have a dodgy one i suppose.

Im entitled to an uprgrade in 6 weeks so may wait and try and get the iPhone4 unless they are trying to charge me ridiculous amount to get it.

ATB

Dan

I think I might get one, I had an iphone 3g and the contract has just expired. Will depend on the cost though.

Does anyone know how to get your contacts from iTunes without connecting the phone? I lost it last week and know all my numbers are in iTunes just can't find them.

Are you on a PC or a Mac?

I'll be upgrading for sure. I have a 3G and the battery is knackered. I only get about 6 hours out of it now. Daughter's school couldn't reach me the other day when she was ill and that's no good so I'll be pre-ordering.

Jim

PC

Not sure on that one. If you were on a mac it would sync the contacts with the address book but I don't know where it keeps them on the PC. If you get a new phone you might be able to sync the old stuff into it but I'm not 100% sure.

I assumed that I would be able to get them all back if I got a new iphone by just plugging it into the computer. I'll wait to see the prices and make a decision then.

Yes, your restored phone will be identical to the last sync you had.

Nice touch from Apple, as most other phones fail to restore 100% of the settings.