sea fishing / shore fishing

roadkill

I would like to start taking my lad to the beach now he has reached 6 just me him a couple of rods and a tent to get away for the weekend .

However i have no clue when it comes to shore fishing. I have my eyes on a few bits of kit to get up and started but dont have a clue how to set a rig up or where the good places are to fish . Im from the midlands so it doesnt matter which beach we had for .

Is there anyone who is wiling to take me out a few times to show me the ropes on how to set up and also fish the sea ? I will buy the beers at the end of the day .

Also any other info on what kit to get or not as i dont want to be wasting my money on stuff i wont need.

Cheers roadkill

I would like to start taking my lad to the beach now he has reached 6 just me him a couple of rods and a tent to get away for the weekend .

However i have no clue when it comes to shore fishing. I have my eyes on a few bits of kit to get up and started but dont have a clue how to set a rig up or where the good places are to fish . Im from the midlands so it doesnt matter which beach we had for .

Is there anyone who is wiling to take me out a few times to show me the ropes on how to set up and also fish the sea ? I will buy the beers at the end of the day .

Also any other info on what kit to get or not as i dont want to be wasting my money on stuff i wont need.

Cheers roadkill

I would help if i was closer.......

if you get stuck get hold of a copy of sea angler mag and make contact with a local casting instructor he will help you, i did it for 15 years and its great to see folk take up a sport we all enjoy......... good luck

Hi Roadkill,

Shame you aren't closer as I would be more than happy to guide you through the basics of shore fishing. But for the record, you're best off buying ready made rigs. They may seem quite complicated to start with but once you understand them they are very easy and will be able to knock your own up in no time. You'll need different rigs for different fish (flatties, cod, bass etc) and the size of the hooks will also depend on what you're going after. Keep it simple though.

As for kit, you're better off getting a fixed spool reel rather than a multiplier reel, it will mean less chance of getting birds nests on your spool :hmm: and you'll be spending the weekends sorting it out.

Beach rods will be about 12ft for yourself. Don't get one too whippy or too stiff. Give it a firm shake in the shop and you should get about 3 - 4 wobbles from it back down the rod.

Hope that helps to start with.

ATB,

Doc.

Hi Roadkill,

Shame you aren't closer as I would be more than happy to guide you through the basics of shore fishing. But for the record, you're best off buying ready made rigs. They may seem quite complicated to start with but once you understand them they are very easy and will be able to knock your own up in no time. You'll need different rigs for different fish (flatties, cod, bass etc) and the size of the hooks will also depend on what you're going after. Keep it simple though.

As for kit, you're better off getting a fixed spool reel rather than a multiplier reel, it will mean less chance of getting birds nests on your spool :hmm: and you'll be spending the weekends sorting it out.

Beach rods will be about 12ft for yourself. Don't get one too whippy or too stiff. Give it a firm shake in the shop and you should get about 3 - 4 wobbles from it back down the rod.

Hope that helps to start with.

ATB,

Doc.

Doc i never knew you liked to get your figers smelling all fishy, I will take your name off my "suspect" list :hmm:

1 make sure you use a leader!!

2 talk to the blokes on the beach

3 buy cheap stuff at first, it will still out perform you

4 find out how to use bait elastic

5 use a fixed spool

6 get a good head light

7 learn to read tide tables

8 enjoy the peace and quiet of a howling gale inside your beach buddy

9 take extra clothes and leave them in the car, you will get wet and smelly

10 turn your phone off and zone out

hi road kill

where you think of going,if you are ever up anglesey, north wales give me a shoot, ill take ya

goodshot (i wish)

many thanks for the offer and i will take you up on it just need to go over my diary. Been to anglesey quite a few times but only with the track bikes ,

What is a leader?

many thanks for the offer and i will take you up on it just need to go over my diary. Been to anglesey quite a few times but only with the track bikes ,

What is a leader?

Leader is a twenty odd foot length of line usually about 50 to 60 lbs breaking strain that is attatched to your main line to take the strain of casting to make sure your lead doesnt break off and kill someone, which it might if you attatched it direct to your main line ie about 15 - 20 lbs breaking strain

doc

Edited by docholiday

Leader is a twenty odd foot length of line usually about 50 to 60 lbs breaking strain that is attatched to your main line to take the strain of casting to make sure your lead doesnt break off and kill someone, which it might if you attatched it direct to your main line ie about 15 - 20 lbs breaking strain

doc

sounds dangerous , i will have to go whsmiths and pick up some mags ... Cant wait to give it a go though

I love sea fishing i have been doing it since i was a kid. Luckily i live right on the coast so its always been easy to get out . One thing it may be worth getting is a floatation suit for your nipper. The sea can be a cruel mistress :hmm: and these are warm keep you dry and if the worst happens it will keep you alive. You can get junior ones but i suppose it depends on how big he is. Other stuff you will need has mostly been mentioned already. But a set of forceps are always handy to have . A good knife, Pre made rigs are definetly the way to go because you can use quick links at the end of your leader which gives you a quick plug and play option which is brilliant when your hands are freezing. Depending on were your fishing it may be worth getting some grip leads . (gemini are a good make ) but alot like shooting you can spend thousands on gear that you may never use or not need. Best advice is start out cheapish. Get a feel for it and enjoy it .And above all be safe. Chuck me a pm if you have anymore questions :hmm:

Doc i never knew you liked to get your figers smelling all fishy, I will take your name off my "suspect" list :good:

Thanks Pav, that means a lot :blink:

Was planing on going out this Firday on the tri-maran kayak to test the newly aquired Bass Assassins and see if they live up to their reputation. Will have some fresh bait to hand just in case all else fails.

if you fancy a trip up to the Mersey when i get back, give me a shout. Some good beach fishing to be had, and its not a million miles. I might have some bits of kit knocking around that you can have as well. :good:

use to use a tennis ball myself when i was practising to cast down the local playing field.

Never forget those first outings with a multiplier un-tangling the mess....O happy days :good:

If you can have a bash at the mackeral with your son, bit more action as he may lose interest standing about waiting for a knock on the rod,

good luck enjoy

sounds dangerous , i will have to go whsmiths and pick up some mags ... Cant wait to give it a go though

It's damned good fun, I had all my sea fishing gear nicked out of the garage last year and haven't replaced it... If I had someone to go with I probably would buy it all again but it's like everything else, gets very tedious when it's just you, time and time again!

Should change my name to Billy No Mates! :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers roadkill

Hi roadkill dont do a great deal this time of year but do in winter we go out to Suffolk if your are interested drop me a pm and we can arrange a trip out when the cod and yting come in oct/nov time and if your ever down bedfordshire way let me know you can pop round i can show you how to make a few basic rigs to get you started

colin