German short haired pointers

"Work" would imply a level of control over him which I really don't have but yes a pretty versatile hunting dog.

Took him on the last day of our pheasant shoot last season (informal walked up day) and his "presence" put a lot more birds up than the labs and springers could manage.

He can't have been that bad because the shoot captain has encouraged me to bring him along from the off this season.

Properly trained ones are a sight to behold although I've only ever seen them properly at the HPR classes and not in the field...

my big black oaf worked last season on a local walk up. did all that was expected of him tho there was a sin or 2... moaned like right tart at dinner time in the car, then i let him out only for him to try and bone a very young puppy that really shouldnt have been there.. his other lil transgression was to punish the shoot captains odd miss by stealthily helping his self to a bird out of his game bag and bringing it to me much to the delight of everyone that witnessed it . :hmm:

the shear style of a good pointer at work is a thing to see n as such means their trespasses are often over looked ...his 1st day with the guns started with the land owner showing great interest in him as he tore across a field at full throttle, as he said to me "you can see the shear drive & intelligence" fargo bounced of a really obvious fence then went on to do the said same thing on the said same fence 3 more times in a row .

its true they are very hard work n the farts!! omg the farts , (at times they smell like a bible story) but never was there a more rewarding dog to own n work despite them thinking their the brains of the operation most of the time.

just thought id add this pick with him waiting for our captain to drop a bird for him...

post-20426-1276231626.jpg

hes a little over a year in this

its good to be able to put him on someone and even between 2 people covering a dogless area that would otherwise have lost birds.. his beating skills are 1st class too

They are superb dogs, no question.

IMO they are only suited to a grouse moor or large open expanses of woodland where cover is light and game is sparse, for that reason I would doubt I'll own one on the forseeable future as spaniels/labs suit what I do better.

I have been fortunate enough to experience a few good GSPs, a good friend of mine is one of the top HPR trainers in the country, and woodcock over a dog that can hold and press game, is steady to flush and has a soft mouth is a tremendous experience.

Having said all that I was talking to an experienced HPR man recently (you could say he knows what he's talking about, he won the championships on more than one occassion :hmm: ) and he has trial standard labs, spaniels and HPRs and reckons there isn't a lab or spaniel born that could live with the best of his GSPs when picking up.

Superb but very hard work! The stamina for a days shooting is pretty unbelievable but they do tend to be steadier than the more traditional types. I take my GWP beating and she is pretty good and hopefully will get better but its not where they excel, she is great for rough shooting and great out with the rifle. Then likes to spend the evening on the sofa but thats another side to them!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh the sofa! Mine takes no more delight in this world than 5 stolen minutes on the sofa when I am out of the room.

She is 5 months now and progressing well in all but her ability to remain focused for more than 2 nano seconds. It is better than at 4 months though as that was only 1 nano second so in 20 years she will be bang on!

Her pointing though is amazing, anything that is in our garden is fair game and there are plenty of local pigeons that get a demo every day much to their dissaproval.