problems with a ford galaxy

bignoel

my daughter has a ford galaxy people carrier 05 plate 70 k on clock its a diesel 1900 tdi it started to heat up out of the blue all the pipes get hot and the pipe going into the thermosat stays cold .no creamy oil its clean she has changed the fan switch and taken the thermosat out and it still heats up .any ideas .noel

Edited by bignoel

Get the old thermostat out first and put it in some boiling water, it should open up, if not, that is the problem. The water pump is one hell of a job if it is fine when you take it apart. It may well be the problem, but I would check the easier things first. Good luck :whistling:

Impeller broken on the water pump :whistling:

Common fault these days and can give thermostat style symptoms, worth having a look.

ben

:oops::yes::lol: my first thought too, the impeller becomes slack on the shaft and fails to pump, common fault :good: check the thermo fist though, just in case

Another one saying check your water pump :whistling:

Had a Mondy ST with the same symptoms I was told to my horror by a "reputable" Mechanic it was the head gasket and was going to crucify me financially to have it sorted!

I was told on a forum to check the Water pump and the plastic impeller had SHATTERED.

Put in an uprated metal one and bobs your uncle fanny's your aunt! Worked fine for years :oops:

If you have already tried the thermostat then it sounds like a circulation prob thus WATER PUMP :good:

Get the old thermostat out first and put it in some boiling water, it should open up, if not, that is the problem. The water pump is one hell of a job if it is fine when you take it apart. It may well be the problem, but I would check the easier things first. Good luck :blink:

Already out according to the O/P :good:

Depending on location you can quite often touch the impeller from the thermostat housing, try and turn it with a finger or see if the blades are broken off. Blocked rad or pipework would be very unusual on a five year old car but waterpumps seem to be getting crapper and crapper, we have done several this year.

Copy an paste a whole thread?

It takes all of two minutes to join and send the confirmation, then a chap with a Galaxy can read a whole bundle of stuff written by experienced Galaxy owners. Best bit is there is an Audi technician on there who has a Galaxy tdi.

Audi is part of the Volkswagon Audi Group - and the Galaxy is actually made in the Seat factory in Portugal - owned by VW - or VAG if you like.

Since you seem interested enough to ask for a copy and paste next time I log in, and are willing to wait that long I'd recommend you save yourself the wait and join.