Advice on cooking venison please?

Frenchieboy

I may be in the wrong section for this so if the Mods think I am maybe they could move it for me.

My wife has never eaten venison before so I have got hold of a couple of Loin Fillets so that she can try it. She is not keen on any meat that has too strong a "Gamey" flavour so I would like some advice on the best recipe to try for her. (This venison has not been hung for any period of time) I was thinking about casseroling it with some chunky cut root veg but I am not sure what stock or wine it would be best cooked with or how long I should have it in the oven for.

Can anyone offer any helpful advice please?

I think I have too much venison for the one casserole (Just for the 2 of us) so I am thinking of using what is left over to make myself a nice hearty "Game Pie" (Of sorts) by using the venison and some of this years rabbits that I shot yesterday. I was going to cook the meat off the bone for the rabbits and use some mixed veg covered with Flakey Pastry. Should I add a couple of chopped pigeon breasts as well please.

If you say yes I will have the excuse to go out this evening with the shotgun for a couple of "woodies" to breast?

Help and advice will be appreciated guys, thanks!

Don't casserole the fillet!!!!!!!!!! Far too good for that

Treat it almost like a steak - Colour it all round and then roast it - Assuming it's a pound or just under in weight, you're looking at probably 20 mins max - Let it rest. Deglaze the pan, chuck a drop of redcurrant jelly, some beefstock, a good glug of port or red wine and a bit of seasoning, boil it up until reduced by half and you're away. Stor in a **** of butter at the end and pour over the fillet.

Do that with some new potatoes, mash or saute and a bit of veg and you'll be a star!

I may be in the wrong section for this so if the Mods think I am maybe they could move it for me.

My wife has never eaten venison before so I have got hold of a couple of Loin Fillets so that she can try it. She is not keen on any meat that has too strong a "Gamey" flavour so I would like some advice on the best recipe to try for her. (This venison has not been hung for any period of time) I was thinking about casseroling it with some chunky cut root veg but I am not sure what stock or wine it would be best cooked with or how long I should have it in the oven for.

Can anyone offer any helpful advice please?

I think I have too much venison for the one casserole (Just for the 2 of us) so I am thinking of using what is left over to make myself a nice hearty "Game Pie" (Of sorts) by using the venison and some of this years rabbits that I shot yesterday. I was going to cook the meat off the bone for the rabbits and use some mixed veg covered with Flakey Pastry. Should I add a couple of chopped pigeon breasts as well please.

If you say yes I will have the excuse to go out this evening with the shotgun for a couple of "woodies" to breast?

Help and advice will be appreciated guys, thanks!

if you have loin fillets dont waste them by casseroling. cut the fillets into portion size, fry in butter for a few mins until brown, then add a splash of red wine and redcurrant jelly, put in hot oven for five mins and it will be beautifull

doc

Or and i rather like this one, cut into slices and fry lightly in butter with some shalottes then add a tablespoon of dijon mustard, some salt half a tub of creme fraiche and half a tub of cream and very lightly heat for 15 minutes and its lovely. Not sure on the Calorie content but its not good :good:

Don't casserole the fillet!!!!!!!!!! Far too good for that

Treat it almost like a steak - Colour it all round and then roast it - Assuming it's a pound or just under in weight, you're looking at probably 20 mins max - Let it rest. Deglaze the pan, chuck a drop of redcurrant jelly, some beefstock, a good glug of port or red wine and a bit of seasoning, boil it up until reduced by half and you're away. Stor in a **** of butter at the end and pour over the fillet.

Do that with some new potatoes, mash or saute and a bit of veg and you'll be a star!

That's pretty much what I do with fillet.

Rub the fillet with oil, and put some chopped thyme on it (Not too much)

You can replace redcurrant jelly with cranberry sauce too, and add a bit of Port for good measure.

Rest the meat for the same amount of time it's been cooked for. :good:

That's pretty much what I do with fillet.

Rub the fillet with oil, and put some chopped thyme on it (Not too much)

You can replace redcurrant jelly with cranberry sauce too, and add a bit of Port for good measure.

Rest the meat for the same amount of time it's been cooked for. :good:

Thats the key, that and not overcooking

doc

All excellent advice.

You've started off with one of the best cuts there is - so enjoy!

Best left nice and pink - but you may need to work up to that if your wife is a little squeemish.

Keep the portions small to start with - I've found that an important factor when introducing people to game.

Good luck.

Steve