Best places to find rabbits?

RichPWRR

Hi guys,

I have a huge amount of space to shoot on (2900 Hectares) and would be really grateful for any advice on the best places to find bunnies (I suppose i could walk it all but that might take some time :good: ). Are there any particular places they don't tend to like or place that you will always find rabbits. Do they prefer lots of open space or more cover. I would also be interested to hear peoples preferred techniques for bagging as many as possible (lamping, sitting and waiting or just walking until you find them).

Thanks in advance

Hi guys,

I have a huge amount of space to shoot on (2900 Hectares) and would be really grateful for any advice on the best places to find bunnies (I suppose i could walk it all but that might take some time :good: ). Are there any particular places they don't tend to like or place that you will always find rabbits. Do they prefer lots of open space or more cover. I would also be interested to hear peoples preferred techniques for bagging as many as possible (lamping, sitting and waiting or just walking until you find them).

Thanks in advance

You'll need to do a recce of your permission to see where they are situated.

Rabbits like to dig burrows in light sandy soils in dry situations. hedgerow banks , pit holes , disused railway embankments and slopping meadows would be good places to start your search. Woodland edges can be good , but they usualy avoid the centres of very big woods and wet marshland places though there are always exceptions.

Well as long as you stay away from here, you are guaranteed to find them hopping around all over the place :good:

With that much land you are going to have your work cut out. Lots will depend on the terrain, but can you get your hands on a quad and a big lamp?

Try an hour before sunset to about an hour after and the same for sunrise (maybe an extra hour after sun up)

Hi guys,

I have a huge amount of space to shoot on (2900 Hectares) and would be really grateful for any advice on the best places to find bunnies (I suppose i could walk it all but that might take some time :hmm: ). Are there any particular places they don't tend to like or place that you will always find rabbits. Do they prefer lots of open space or more cover. I would also be interested to hear peoples preferred techniques for bagging as many as possible (lamping, sitting and waiting or just walking until you find them).

Thanks in advance

What experience have you got, what history have you got, what firearms/shotguns have you got?

However big the land you need to get to know it for safety reasons if nothing else!

The longest journey starts with a single step.....

The longest journey starts with a single step.....

:hmm:??????

nice warm evenings suit a quiet walk with the rimmy :hmm: , you'll only get to know the land and what likes to live where by walking it all, several times / often :good:

Edited by Paul223

Dekers and Paul223 are spot on there. You will only get to know where things are by putting in the time. To be successful you need to know your permissions like the back of your hand. Only then can you "control" the vermin properly and effectively and be sure that you are shooting safely!

Unfortunately there are no short cuts to success, you MUST put the legwork in my friend!!!!!!

Also, again like Deker asks, it will help us to help you if we know what type of and how much experience you have.

Edited by Frenchieboy

Dekers and Paul223 are spot on there. You will only get to know where things are by putting in the time. To be successful you need to know your permissions like the back of your hand. Only then can you "control" the vermin properly and effectively and be sure that you are shooting safely!

Unfortunately there are no short cuts to success, you MUST put the legwork in my friend!!!!!!

Also, again like Deker asks, it will help us to help you if we know what type of and how much experience you have.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the tips. In answer to the questions, I have been shooting driven game for about 12 years, and as far as experience with a rifle goes, my only previous experience before i got my .22 has been plenty of shooting with 5.56mm . As far as weapons, i have a 12g O/U and a CZ 452 Varmint .22LR.

I have been spending a LOT of time walking the ground and am getting familiar with it but wanted to check if there were any particular areas to focus. I do not have any lamping kit or a 4x4 at the moment so think i will just have to take long walks with the rimmy.

Thanks for the advice.

R

It is well worth getting a lamp, even if you are going out on foot you will account for many more rabbits than you would during the day. Look for areas of rabbit damage, such as poor/heavily grazed crops near hedges or woodland will indicate rabbit activity. These are the areas you should concentrate on.

Rich not sure if you have the ability to offer a swap but sounds like you'd really gain a lot from seeing if there is anyone local to take you out lamping on their ground and then have another night out on yours. As said lamping is the best way and with your amount of ground if it is arable cropped then its going to be best after harvest when you can see a lot more.

Rich not sure if you have the ability to offer a swap but sounds like you'd really gain a lot from seeing if there is anyone local to take you out lamping on their ground and then have another night out on yours. As said lamping is the best way and with your amount of ground if it is arable cropped then its going to be best after harvest when you can see a lot more.

:lol::good:

I have to Agree with trying to walk around the ground and searching out the hotspots... i still walk round my ground when i can if i cant access it by 4x4 or crops are growing just too see where the rabbits are... i find stone walls and any banking hold the most rabbits during the day....however.. at night the rabbits seem to prefer to sit at the edges of freshly cut silage or crops ..

ive had some amazing lamping nights on stubble