Poachers

catcherpelt

Like minded Fisherman of this country (UK).... I'm a member of a small fishing club in Herts, where funds are collected and used to restock and manage the river for the pleasure for everyone who wishes to join the club and support the well being of the fish. The golden rule in this enjoyment of fishing is to catch and release and not to catch and eat. How can we and if any of our East Europeans Friends who may be members of PW stop the ones who are eating our fish stocks,,, as I'm sure they ( EE) like to be apart of our pursuits in the counties we all live, I can live with poachers of yesteryear,, I'm not sure what I'll do if when I catch up with these poachers that are taking fish to eat

We all know that it's not just the fish stocks that are being taken, we all have a tale the tell

:good: :blink: :good: :good:

I'm not saying what they are doing is right, but when I lived and fished in Germany, if you caught it you couldn't put it back you are supposed to eat it !.

maybe some notices to the correct procedure is required around fishing waters.

M.

Not sure how you can prevent it going on unless you have a number of baliffs out constantly to catch them.I know some nearby lakes i walk my dog around have a number of signs which say its catch & release only,but also it shows a cartoon style drawing depicting the same-which must be for those people who dont understand English.Perhaps putting signs up warning people that its actually theft and put it in various languages.Why not hold a meeting and ask them to keep a check on fellow members too-should keep everyone on their toes then.

Some east europeans were caught a few years back iin the nearby village with some sort of big net which spanned right across the river.Christ knows how many they must have gotten away with until caught.

Right this might not make me popular but I am of the opinion that this poaching that seems to be all you ever read about in the angling rags is, to a large extent at least, not true. I fish fairly often and I have yet to spot a set line, eastern european with binliner full of fish or hairy ***** Albanian with a speargun.

What I do see is ****** up chavs skull dragging 5lb carp in on size 2/0's to 50lb nylon. I see the dumped sweetcorn and princes luncheon meat tins rotting on the bank. The Cormorants scoffing fish. Anglers boasting about 'guesting' private waters. Every tale I hear told begins with 'A bloke I know.....' or 'A mate of mine....'. Normally second hand storys, and afterall us fishermen would never embellish a good story would we :good:

Theres a hell of a lot more than Eastern Europeans that should be anglings priority.

Im in herts as well by the way, which is your club?

I'm not saying what they are doing is right, but when I lived and fished in Germany, if you caught it you couldn't put it back you are supposed to eat it !.

maybe some notices to the correct procedure is required around fishing waters.

M.

What people do in eastern europe is one thing, over here is another, it's against the law and they known it. putting up signs is just a waste of time. when confronted they threaten us, they are always in groups of 6 + and most of the time drank, we do our best to try and get as much info about them as possible to past onto the EA and the Police.

Right this might not make me popular but I am of the opinion that this poaching that seems to be all you ever read about in the angling rags is, to a large extent at least, not true. I fish fairly often and I have yet to spot a set line, eastern european with binliner full of fish or hairy ***** Albanian with a speargun.

What I do see is ****** up chavs skull dragging 5lb carp in on size 2/0's to 50lb nylon. I see the dumped sweetcorn and princes luncheon meat tins rotting on the bank. The Cormorants scoffing fish. Anglers boasting about 'guesting' private waters. Every tale I hear told begins with 'A bloke I know.....' or 'A mate of mine....'. Normally second hand storys, and afterall us fishermen would never embellish a good story would we :good:

Theres a hell of a lot more than Eastern Europeans that should be anglings priority.

Im in herts as well by the way, which is your club?

Charlie the problem we have is EE that's a fact,,,,,, please don't bring me it to the subject of Carp Fishermen I gave up fishing large puddles 20 years ago. :blink: :good: :good:

PM me and I give you details of the club

I

Charlie the problem we have is EE that's a fact,,,,,, please don't bring me it to the subject of Carp Fishermen I gave up fishing large puddles 20 years ago. :good: :blink: :good:

PM me and I give you details of the club

I

lol, I know what you mean. I now spend most of the winter chasing pike, then most of the summer after other predators, but the odd Tench or water pig session dosent do any harm. Think were going to have to agree to disagree on the poachers front. If I saw it with my own eyes then I might agree, but I havent.

Still, not long now till you can get back on the river bank.

had quite a few run ins with the EE..best one was 3 of them wanting to buy a carp off me for cash...a bit of pushing and shoving later and 2 of them ended up in the lake....

on my sydi saw a van parked up with forgien plates and 6 of them walking/hanging round the lake at 4am....quick call to a few mates and they soon went ...and they threaten to call the police even when we for evidence of them placing lines and nets in the water.....

cant stand them but i dont want to tar all with the same brush

had quite a few run ins with the EE..best one was 3 of them wanting to buy a carp off me for cash...a bit of pushing and shoving later and 2 of them ended up in the lake....

on my sydi saw a van parked up with forgien plates and 6 of them walking/hanging round the lake at 4am....quick call to a few mates and they soon went ...and they threaten to call the police even when we for evidence of them placing lines and nets in the water.....

cant stand them but i dont want to tar all with the same brush

lol good lad they need a good bath anyway lol

lol, I know what you mean. I now spend most of the winter chasing pike, then most of the summer after other predators, but the odd Tench or water pig session dosent do any harm. Think were going to have to agree to disagree on the poachers front. If I saw it with my own eyes then I might agree, but I havent.

Still, not long now till you can get back on the river bank.

I though I share this report Charlie from our chairman

Yesterday our bailiffing efforts scared off three lads mid morning who

entered the Munden estate off the main drive. Mrs Gibbons alerted Les who

alerted me. Bailiff Gary and Peter were in attendance.

And while I have reports that last night was quiet on the river I have to

report another incident. Two foreign men, possibly father and son ( are

they the same father and son who politely disappeared when last stopped on

the lower bridge?) and a keepnet in the water at lower iron bridge.

This was around 7pm

One man was keeping any dogwalkers talking upstream on the bend by the big

motorway rainwater inlet pipe while then making a phone call and talking in

his native language to warn the man lowering down by the bridge ( this is

our assumption). The man upstream was not fishing.

As dogwalker friends of club member Steve then walked downstream, one

of their dogs bounded towards the stream where a man was emerging from the

undergrowth. He was foreign and became quite angry that the dog had

approached him. He had been fishing and there was a keepnet in the water.

Our foreign poachers are now running a little scared and are turning to

using look outs.

I will keep you updated so that everyone is aware that fish stocks are be taken from there fisheries.

CP

I though I share this report Charlie from our chairman

Yesterday our bailiffing efforts scared off three lads mid morning who

entered the Munden estate off the main drive. Mrs Gibbons alerted Les who

alerted me. Bailiff Gary and Peter were in attendance.

And while I have reports that last night was quiet on the river I have to

report another incident. Two foreign men, possibly father and son ( are

they the same father and son who politely disappeared when last stopped on

the lower bridge?) and a keepnet in the water at lower iron bridge.

This was around 7pm

One man was keeping any dogwalkers talking upstream on the bend by the big

motorway rainwater inlet pipe while then making a phone call and talking in

his native language to warn the man lowering down by the bridge ( this is

our assumption). The man upstream was not fishing.

As dogwalker friends of club member Steve then walked downstream, one

of their dogs bounded towards the stream where a man was emerging from the

undergrowth. He was foreign and became quite angry that the dog had

approached him. He had been fishing and there was a keepnet in the water.

Our foreign poachers are now running a little scared and are turning to

using look outs.

I will keep you updated so that everyone is aware that fish stocks are be taken from there fisheries.

CP

Sorry, not quite sure what thats about? So there was a bloke fishing and another one further down the bank on the phone? Its not exactly Oceans Eleven is it.

It takes a poacher to catch a poacher (old country saying) :welcomeani::good:

Pelty might have a number plate for you :good:

SS

Not sure who that is aimed at but we know the Score :good: .

As reported to Catchapelt 3 weeks ago, while trapping Cray's i came across 3 easterns river fishing out of season and in there possesion blue plastic carry bags flapping with fish in.

When i put my mobile to my ear they done a runner, that would tell me they new full well what they should and should not be doing :blink:

PELTMAN :welcomeani:

Sorry, not quite sure what thats about? So there was a bloke fishing and another one further down the bank on the phone? Its not exactly Oceans Eleven is it.

May be I should become there friend, go fishing with them, have lunch with there family, a few :blink: :hmm: and try and take a happy family video at the same time.

You should change your name to " Mr Loophole "

Happy Fish Eating Charlie old boy :/:yes::lol:

May be I should become there friend, go fishing with them, have lunch with there family, a few :blink: :hmm: and try and take a happy family video at the same time.

You should change your name to " Mr Loophole "

Happy Fish Eating Charlie old boy :yes::lol::good:

Chill! All I meant that just because they are eastern european and fishing dosent mean they are taking fish home. I fish with a Polish lad every now and again and I can assure you that he dosent take fish. Also you have to remember that its not actually illegal to take fish from a 'free' stretch of river, until the new law comes in anyway, and in season. Privatly owned is of course another matter though.

Look, I know fish get taken, but I dont think that its on anything like the scale some seem to think. I fish as often as I can fit it round work, and Ive yet to see it. Met plenty of people with different accents, but none with bags of fish.

Think we might have to agree to disagree on this one. Tight lines :/

Get a mate or friend of a friend who is a special or regular copper and get him into fishing or encourage him to fish on your lakes by taking him out a few times, his powers of arrest are 24-7 on or off duty so if he happens to witness any of it he can nick them on the spot once word gets round theirs a copper on the lake/river i think they will find somewhere else to poach

well i'd have no problem letting them take the amercan signal crayfish and the notorious zander which both decimate our english fishstocks each year not so much down my neck of the woods but still and like someone said takes a poacher to catch one meaning wat it says . most poachers are up at the crack of dawn to make sure nobody is about as most of us know so yeah but as long as they have a license and its the right season it shouldn't matter wat race you are . (please dont start a race rant its just a passing comment )

• 3 weeks later...