Civilisation - going down the toilet

Vipa

The question is how do you define 'civilisation'? :(

I would define it (for simplicities sake and to give a benchmark) the western idea of civilisation, in otherwords, how most of the G8 countries and thier citizens function and live their lives at this time with the resources available to them... at this time!

Four hundred years is a rough average for any given "civilisation" to prosper.

If you agree, and many will not, that our civilisation began in the 1600`s then, oh dear, we`re getting well up towards the 400 year and implode mark!

Mind you, if you`re a German I would think about suing A. Hitler under the Trades Description Act. In terms of historical time, his much publicised "Thousand Year Reich"only lasted about five minutes.

Politicians eh? Could`nt trust them then,can`t trust `em now!

I wonder if the Britons in 390 AD speculated on life after Rome, or the anglo saxons in 1065 were predicting the end of civilization as they knew it...Change happens, The art is to float to the surface when the excrement starts to settle.

So called small government is a good idea, particularly as costs less. Not a bad notion under the circumstances. Reducing authoritarian intervention in our lives will undoubtedly make us feel free, but a price. I think we have to temper this with the realization that I may have the right to do what I want within reason, but I can not inflict that on an other. Or if you prefer, you cant just do it in the street you'll frighten the horses.

So, you are living longer, healthier, richer, plus more knowledge and freedoms than at any other point in our worlds history, and you are boohooing?.

Look, the media wants you to believe that everything is going to hell, because it means you'll spend more time buying papers/watching telly. We've never had it so good, and nothing has changed, there are as many Thungs, Yobs, Murders and paedophiles as there has within in the last 10 to 2000 years. The only thing that have changed,the way that news is reported to you (Is many different formats) , so you hear about these things alot more often as you ever would of.

So, you are living longer, healthier, richer, plus more knowledge and freedoms than at any other point in our worlds history, and you are boohooing?.

Look, the media wants you to believe that everything is going to hell, because it means you'll spend more time buying papers/watching telly. We've never had it so good, and nothing has changed, there are as many Thungs, Yobs, Murders and paedophiles as there has within in the last 10 to 2000 years. The only thing that have changed,the way that news is reported to you (Is many different formats) , so you hear about these things alot more often as you ever would of.

I think you are missing the point..... Yes, you've never had it so good but how are you going to have it when the oil starts to get too expensive, how will you have it when mass famine in the southern hemisphere forces mass population movements north onto our doorstep, how will you have it when water starts to become a rare resource.. Your attitude sadly echos that of far too many of our poulation... complacent, snug, delusional almost that we somehow live in this utopia, a country and world where no bad can happen to us and someone (don't know quite who) will always provide for us.

you say that (and I am using a little poetic licence here) not much has changed over the last 2000 years apart from the media.... you have missed out 2 other VERY significant changes over the last 2000 years, indeed over the last 100-150 years....

1. The climate (getting just a little bit hotter recently, this will cause drought and famine issues)

2. Population (risen from a sustainable 900 million 150 years ago, a level it had hovered around over the previous milennia to an unsustainable 7bn now)

You have also missed out the fact that our world is addicted to a resource that has only been around for 150 years, a resourse without which, the modern western world is unable to function... that resource is running out!

An excellent resource that, if you can be bothered to read, will help to 'enlighten' you http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/ :good:

Edited by Vipa

Time to build that fortified hill farm with its independant water supply then..... :(

Maybe not quite yet Alex, unless of course, that's the lifestyle you crave anyway but I do think there is far too much 'head in the sand' going on from most of the population of the developed world!

I would have to agree with that . I spend about an hour and a half every working day on the M56 commuting back and forth to work. It strikes me that the traffic on that road is worsening. The idea that fuel will become to expensive before alternative energy comes into play fills me with dread. I am, and I am sure most of us are compleatly reliant on oil for my life style. weither that is getting to and from work, or powering the machines when you get there. or just delivering the pint you have after. It's all oil dependant.

Edited by alexr

Had the Jehovahs at my door for half an hour this morning saying the same. I told them to signup to pigeon watch, plenty of converts to be had, sky is falling on my head etc... used the Netherlands-Japan pre-match analysis as my excuse to close the door.

Teal... I an certainly not a doom sayer and don't subscribe to the 'end of the world is nigh' brigade but I am a realist and have come to realise that the oil will start to run out.... The growing demand from China alone is enough to wipe out new finds in a matter of months.

Alex, I'm not as concerned about the motive fuel issue as the plastics and manufacturing issue. Our world revolves around the use of plastics and polymers, 95% of which are derived from oil with no replacement available. Manufacturing of day to day goods, drugs and medical supplies rely on oil with no real substitue available, arable, dairy & meat farming are all absolutely dependant on oil based fertilisers and pesticides. Without oil we have little or no energy for any of this let alone the raw material to produce it in the first place!

Edited by Vipa